Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:21 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times

Advertisements

I'm happy anywhere....as long as palm trees can grow in my neighborhood.

Bring on the heat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 09:21 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And in the meanwhile, our humidity levels have been dropping in the midwest. The last 3 weeks have been very dry, considering. Yesterday was 82 degrees with only 30% humidity, which is hardly noticeable. Today is a little more humid with the storm front rolling in, but tomorrow is cool and dry, highs only in the 70s.

Regarding PHX, you will notice humidity levels increase this time of year with monsoon season right outside your door.
I am going to Chicago next week and have been checking the weather reports, happy to learn that the temps and humidity levels appear tolerable, even comfortable.

I was in San Diego last week and for a couple days it was 85 with around 50% humidity. Honestly, it wasn't bad at all, especially with a breeze. Then the temps dropped to the low 70s for the rest of the week and it got realllllly nice.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:18 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
and my furniture never moves! (VERY OCD)
ha ha, thats cute! I'm a clean freak, organizer freak more like it, but I could set my watch to this weather. I'm bored with it, I like excitment. I would probably be a storm chaser in the mid-west.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:27 PM

219 posts, read 779,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
This is my second summer here in AZ, and last summer was very tolerable, but it seems like the heat has been getting to me the past couple of weeks. Has the humidity been above normal or something? The dry heat has been like I said much more tolerable than the sticky humidity of the mid-west for me, but lately is seems that hasn't been the case
It's just you, I have been checking the last two weeks, and the afternoon humidity really has not been higher than 15%, and maybe 30% in the mornings.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yes; I make no bones about it, 110F heat with a 50F+ dew point is nasty.......but, that is a tiny price to avoid dealing with an average daytime high of 45F in the winters coupled with humid summers that make Phx look tolerable. I am referring to Wash DC where I was born/raised.

All of that stated: I may wind back up in Kingman in 12-24 months between the summers here (Phx area) and overcrowding.
Washington D.C.'s winters are nowhere near as bad as almost anywhere north of there. I went to school there four years , and saw maybe 1-2 moderate snowstorms a year, with temperatures typically in the 40s and often getting into the 50s and warmer. Compared to upstate New York or most of the midwest, it's a breeze. I understand if you want to mention a place with bad winters, but I don't think DC is the place.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:36 PM

Weather.com, just raised their average temperatures for Phoenix, quite a bit. Up until this past week, it said the average high for July was 104, and now it is 107. You never really see that, where the actual average temperature, not for a year, but over a period of time since their records began, has increased by 3 degrees. To be honest, it seems the average high is even higher than 107, maybe more like 108 or 109. That's not an encouraging trend.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
how many "crazies" does it take to enjoy the phoenix peak summer weather? apparently 2! you know, it's all good. we are all entitled to our taste and for me, 60 is perfectly comfortable whereas 110 is comfortable for others!

this is kinda funny: our gym has 2 saunas - a dry one and a "humid" one. fine, i can see in the winter how you'd be in the dry sauna but seriously, in the middle of july?? you might as well go outside!

Even more nonsensical, what about all of the tanning salons??? Now that is ridiculous, unfortunately I believe there are quite a few scottsdale ladies who frequent them. Talk about throwing away money.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Add me to loving the heat, and my parents, and all my friends, and every one I work with, most being from Germany. I was raised in cold weather climates and find it amazing here. My parents moved here from the Seattle area in 1999 and would never think of moving to a cold weather state again, or cold weather climate....Flagstaff is "too cold" for my mom and she was born in Flagstaff but raised in Phoenix from the age of 2 months, LOL. My mom went to visit her best friend in New York in March and was miserable, LOL. I went to Seattle in April and could not remember how I tolerated 40-50 degree weather in APRIL, in spring time with constant drizzle and cloud cover! Been to every large mid-western city in the summer and NO thanks. I won't even touch on living in Texas, Florida, the South in general and other east coast locales during the humid summer months. I enjoy cold weather, but don't want to live in it any more. I will drive to Flagstaff, Show Low, Pinetop-Lakeside, Snowflake, Strawberry, Heber, Mt. Lemon, etc. etc. if I want snow and sub-freezing or sub-zero temps. What I do not enjoy is 79 or 85 degrees and 70% or more humidity...thats nuts to me.
I moved here from New York, and I don't really mind it. The average high has been 111 since I got here, so it really shouldn't get too much worse, and if this is bad as the weather gets here all year, I can certainly deal with it. Much more tolerable than a New York winter.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:21 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NytoPhx View Post
Washington D.C.'s winters are nowhere near as bad as almost anywhere north of there. I went to school there four years , and saw maybe 1-2 moderate snowstorms a year, with temperatures typically in the 40s and often getting into the 50s and warmer. Compared to upstate New York or most of the midwest, it's a breeze. I understand if you want to mention a place with bad winters, but I don't think DC is the place.
Midwest is worse; yes.

DC is in Climate Zone 7-------which encompasses parts of even Pennsylvania as well as NYC, and parts of New England as well.

Side note: apparently; the winters in DC are indeed becoming milder compared to 30 years when I left. We are discussing 3-5 degrees here which is significant.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:47 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
I am going to Chicago next week and have been checking the weather reports, happy to learn that the temps and humidity levels appear tolerable, even comfortable.

I was in San Diego last week and for a couple days it was 85 with around 50% humidity. Honestly, it wasn't bad at all, especially with a breeze. Then the temps dropped to the low 70s for the rest of the week and it got realllllly nice.
Yes, its been very pleasant with low humidities, warm days, cool nights. We're in July already and we've only run the air 5 times all year, its been great. Yesterday was warm and humid (1st day all week), today is cool and dry, highs of only 72. Whats funny is that I always check San Diego's weather, and we've been warmer and drier (humidity wise) than they have. So if you felt comfortable there, you should feel the same here. Everyone else on these boards will tell you that Chicago is some hot, horrid, humid mess, but they couldnt be further from the truth. Truth is, it gets that way from time to time, but only in short bursts, when we are relieved by cool temps and low humidities.

When are you coming? Looks like Monday is HOT AND HUMID, followed by cooler temps and lower humidities. Like I say, it gets hot and humid, then the next day its cool and drier.
Chicago Tribune | Weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area