Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 05:19 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,931 times

Advertisements

Are there a lot more houses putting up solar panels? Do most HOA allow homeowners to put up solar panels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 05:22 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
Are there a lot more houses putting up solar panels? Do most HOA allow homeowners to put up solar panels?
Very few. Tile roofs just don't go well with panels. I've seen a couple of solar pool heaters. State law prohibits HOAs from stopping homeowners who want to put up solar panels.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,571 times
Very True!

Its what i do for a living. The HOA can suggest the location, but they cannot stop you from putting up panels.

We have put them up in the most exclusive of communities here in Phoenix.

Its our job to make them look good as well as perform!!

Old 08-27-2008, 02:04 PM

65 posts, read 159,706 times
Isn't it a pity we needed a state law to allow us to put solar panels on our own roof? HOAs might be able to "suggest" a location, but by law they cannot specify a location that will impair the proper functioning of the panels. That is the key.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:11 PM

32 posts, read 108,826 times
We are currently in a lower middle class neighborhood, and a neighbor two homes away did solar panels. They got a good rebate from APS (?) on it, making them "break even" on the cost in about 10 years if all goes well.

If you are in your house to stay, they are a good investment. Will also drive up re-sale value, but not enough of course to balance it out. I'm looking at them for the near future (1-2 years) as I think they are a good investment.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 AM

919 posts, read 3,394,874 times
I'm waiting on several companies who have seemingly developed techniques to vastly reduce the expense of panels.

It's kind of like buying the first home computer or first flat TV. These were among the very expensive products for the early adopters, but the early adopters allow the companies to keep getting more efficient.

Once we get solar into the 2-3 year ROI, people will pay for it like they do PCs, TVs, etc.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:13 PM

150 posts, read 457,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrady View Post
Very True!

Its what i do for a living. The HOA can suggest the location, but they cannot stop you from putting up panels.

We have put them up in the most exclusive of communities here in Phoenix.

Its our job to make them look good as well as perform!!
Is there a substantial savings in a monthly electric bill when using solaar panels?

Old 08-29-2008, 03:33 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teepolo View Post
Is there a substantial savings in a monthly electric bill when using solaar panels?
Yes, there can be an incredible savings from solar panels. You can check APS and SRP's sight, but actually many homeowners sell back power to the grid rather than purchase electricity. Only during cloudy weather does one need to rely on conventional power supplies.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:22 PM

36 posts, read 169,307 times
Smile Solar panels & tile roof now go together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Very few. Tile roofs just don't go well with panels. I've seen a couple of solar pool heaters. State law prohibits HOAs from stopping homeowners who want to put up solar panels.
Not sure what the issue was in 2008, maybe technology has changed but there does not seem to be a problem with tile roof installs now.
We just had them installed

Old 08-19-2011, 11:27 PM

36 posts, read 169,307 times
Smile Recoup in 4-5 years

u They got a good rebate from APS (?) on it, making them "break even" on the cost in about 10 years if all goes well.

If you are in your house to stay, they are a good investment. Will also drive up re-sale value, but not enough of course to balance it out. I'm looking at them for the near future (1-2 years) as I think they are a good investment.[/quote]

We just had a solar system installed. Our return on investment is estimated to be less than 5 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area