Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:16 AM

62 posts, read 135,468 times

Advertisements

Just curious-with Phoenix seeing sooooo much sunshine all year, how come I haven't seen a single house with solar panels on the roof? you'd think it'd be a good way to lower the electricity bill, or heat your water or something.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 12:30 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
because they aren't cheap

cost is a very real barrier to a lot of us - however, some have been able to embrace it - i know on the corporate level pepsi/gatorade in tolleson got in right before the tax credits ended in 08 and upgraded their plant with a lot of solar, I believe they sell back to the grid on the aggregate

i agree though that it's far from used to it's potential - people like to point out what the technology can't do for the price, instead of embracing what it can do and try to encourage it, make it scalable and then improve the technological capacity

Old 04-24-2009, 02:30 AM

6,699 posts, read 5,926,302 times
It costs about $20,000 to do a house, including tax credits. Unless it's gone down since I last checked. I would love to do it, if I had the money. But it would take 20 years to pay for itself, at today's prices.

We did put a solar attic fan on our roof for about $500, and it's just sitting up there whirring away. I'm told it'll pay for itself in a couple of years.

APS is building a big solar power plant. It's happening; just is going to take time and money. I think they should build a big solar powered desalination plant on the coast and pipe the water in. That would be sweet--fresh water and low energy bills.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:26 AM

62 posts, read 135,468 times
So if you paid the 20k, would it generate enough electricity for one whole house?

Old 04-24-2009, 09:17 AM

919 posts, read 3,394,874 times
We're kind of in that stage similar to when home computers were a new thing and cost several thousand or DVD players cost hundreds and hundreds... the early adopters paid a premium. Now they are relatively dirt cheap.

With solar panels, the production costs have been high but there are a number of companies around the world racing to make it cheaper via mass production. I have solar heating for my pool and would love to eventually have it for electrical as well... but the price needs to come down, since it takes many years to get a return on investment.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:44 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
Solar panels are not maintenance free, they break down and leak. The cost is idealistic at best. The amount of electricity saved over some 20 years is a silly way to justify the expense. They also contribute to neighborhood blight, they are ugly, just like the roof air conditioners.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:05 PM

6,699 posts, read 5,926,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Solar panels are not maintenance free, they break down and leak. The cost is idealistic at best. The amount of electricity saved over some 20 years is a silly way to justify the expense. They also contribute to neighborhood blight, they are ugly, just like the roof air conditioners.
but a lot quieter!

Old 04-24-2009, 02:19 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
As you said, recovering their costs over 20 years is idealistic at best. That's assuming you have no problems with your panels which we know is highly unlikely. They require maintenance and because these panels are not in wide use, there are not many companies that service them meaning you will pay a premium to have them maintained.

Well said

Old 04-24-2009, 02:52 PM

61 posts, read 219,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
I have solar heating for my pool and would love to eventually have it for electrical as well... but the price needs to come down, since it takes many years to get a return on investment.
Nothing to do with solar but here in Kansas we have wind farms springing up all over the place. The things are gargantuan. We seldom see any private individual have one in the yard these days though. There were a lot back in the 80's. Just like solar panels, they aren't very cost effective yet.

And hey... I owned a Kaypro! My right arm is still 2 inches longer than the lef from lugging it around.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:20 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
Trilogy/Shea Homes are offering solar systems in their new builds now. We see them popping up. What most people are not aware of and it was a surprise to us, is that solar does not work at its peak when it is very, very hot outside and it works best in cooler/sunnier climates. You would think it would be the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area