Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 12:00 AM

12 posts, read 26,606 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there have solar panels on your homes? are they worth the price and were they really expensive? I've done research and they said it ranges from 20-40k! Which would be well worth it if they really are as beneficial as they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 08:04 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,621 times
Some people have solar but surprisingly not as many as you would think in the "Valley of the Sun". The majority of citizens here that could afford them are republican and they don't generally do "solar". They might be starting to now, I'm not sure. It's expensive and unless you factor it in the building a home most don't just add it later. Some people are trying solar heaters for their pools though. And, they are excited to carry guns. lol It's a different crowd out here and from what I see not really the "tree hugger" type. Don't believe in the old "Global warming" so not much need to worry about alternative energy. lol It's a little bit "wild west" with a little bit Mormon and then you have us suburban families.
I've done a thread for solar and the like and most people posted that they didn't believe in the need. Maybe you will get some opposite opinions to mine, or you won't get any. lol I hope for the first for ya.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:21 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
Solar actually does not work very well with intense heat. It is more useful in cooler/sunny climates. Looking forward to the technology of the future.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:46 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
it's an imperfect technology with a high cost - i definitely think we should be at the forefront of investing and investigating in this technology and finding a way to make it work better out here ........ would provide sustainable, high worth jobs along with educational credibility and in the end a technology that can help us become more sustainable

however it seems people aren't really look to advance technology in this country (see our still pushing those monster windmills that aren't really efficient .......... i saw a program about some euro nations having wind generators that are about the size of box fans being built into structures that are supposed to do as good of a job)

Old 05-23-2009, 10:12 AM

6,696 posts, read 5,926,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlx_sparkz_xlx View Post
Anyone out there have solar panels on your homes? are they worth the price and were they really expensive? I've done research and they said it ranges from 20-40k! Which would be well worth it if they really are as beneficial as they say.
Takes 20 years to pay for itself, and that's including the initial investment and state/federal tax credits. The prices are coming down as production ramps up and technology improves, though.

but only Democrats install them, so you may have to switch party affiliations before proceeding.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:29 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
but only Democrats install them, so you may have to switch party affiliations before proceeding.
Big Ole OUCH, Blister!

! ! ! ! !

Old 05-23-2009, 01:46 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,314 times
Solar panels are expensive but most have rebates from APS, SRP that cover up to 80% of the cost to install. My parents have solar panels on their home and they actually are "paid" for their energy production at peak times during the summer and generally only use power from the traditional grid at night of course.

Solar technology works great in this extreme heat, especially those that use large mirrors to focus the power of the sun on tubes of fluid that heat water, create steam and spin turbines. This is an interesting article to find out what technology is being implemented in AZ.

Solar tax credit would expand Ariz. economy

2nd APS solar plant may surpass target set for green energy

APS to test idea of free solar panels on homes

Old 05-23-2009, 02:02 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Solar panels are expensive but most have rebates from APS, SRP that cover up to 80% of the cost to install. My parents have solar panels on their home and they actually are "paid" for their energy production at peak times during the summer and generally only use power from the traditional grid at night of course.

Solar technology works great in this extreme heat, especially those that use large mirrors to focus the power of the sun on tubes of fluid that heat water, create steam and spin turbines. This is an interesting article to find out what technology is being implemented in AZ.

Solar tax credit would expand Ariz. economy

2nd APS solar plant may surpass target set for green energy

APS to test idea of free solar panels on homes
yep, thats what my neighbor had was the tubes of water on his roof top. Besides a few leaks it worked pretty good out here.

Some republicans do solar, just not the majority Blister.... Some do a lot of things against the grain, like jack mormons. he he

Old 05-23-2009, 02:05 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
yep, thats what my neighbor had was the tubes of water on his roof top. Besides a few leaks it worked pretty good out here.

Some republicans do solar, just not the majority Blister.... Some do a lot of things against the grain, like jack mormons. he he
My parents have the traditional panels that are much thinner now than ever before. I have heard that the tube technology holds heat for sometime allowing for energy production for a few hours into the night.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:48 PM

12 posts, read 26,606 times
Fantastic responses!!! Thank you for all the information. It sounds as if I will have to do some serious research but for such an investment thats probably the smart move...
P.S. I am a democrat so I guess that's one less step I have to make before I install them lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area