Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 07:48 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,285,152 times

Advertisements

Having just lived in FAR north Scottsdale for 4 years, I can tell you that yes, you can feel really far out at times. But in the summer, when the area is 8 to 10 degrees cooler than anywhere else in the valley, you don't mind it as much.

I have 2 toddlers, and even with the 10 degree differential it's really hard to find things to do with kids without going crazy in the summer when you live that far north. If you choose to live in 85255 or 85262, definitely get involved with the moms groups or parent playgroups. You'll be spending lots of time at the mall as well.

Both zip codes are extremely expensive. Our house sold for $250 a square foot; you can expect right now to pay somewhere between $200 and $250 a square foot for housing, and that's after the market really crapped out and is in a correction period now. I'd expect that it will go up again from here at some point between now and the next 2 years.

Keep in mind that most of far north Scottsdale (85262) are in the Cave Creek School District (Cactus Shadows High School) and not the Scottsdale school system. if you have any questions about the far north area, feel free to PM me. We sold real estate in the area for 3 years as well and it might provide a sanity check for whatever your realtor's might telling you, too!

Also note that allergies can also be very bad in Arizona too. We actually moved to Austin in part because my husband was allergic to the palo verde tree. Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 05:02 PM

102 posts, read 271,891 times
Approximately how many miles is Scottsdale from the Northern end to Southern end? I heard someone mention about 35 miles. Is that right? If so, Scottsdale is one BIG city, longer than Manhattan.

Thanks, AL

Old 02-14-2007, 06:02 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,795,269 times
I think it's a little less, but still between 25 and 30 miles.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:09 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,469,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgranda View Post
Approximately how many miles is Scottsdale from the Northern end to Southern end? I heard someone mention about 35 miles. Is that right? If so, Scottsdale is one BIG city, longer than Manhattan.

Thanks, AL
That may be slightly overstated, but it's not far off. It's definitely over 25 miles, maybe over 30, from the northern border, which abuts the Tonto National Forest, to the southern border with Tempe. What makes that length more interesting is that the most populated areas of Scottsdale are generally less than five miles wide, resulting in a tall, skinny city.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:54 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,795,269 times
Yea, I used Google Earth along Scottsdale Rd from Tempe. I had no idea where the actual city limits are to the north. I stopped measuring when the houses thinned out and came up with about 26-27 miles.

It's hard to believe Pima turned into a dirt trail less than a half-mile north of Shea when I was a teen. From there, it was nothing more than a foot path all the way to Pinnacle Peak!

Old 02-15-2007, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the replies. Can't wait to check out Scottsdale for myself this September. I hope it's all I think it will be.

AL

Old 02-15-2007, 01:41 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,145,320 times
Since Scottsdale is about 30 miles from north to south, it's hard to say where North Scottsdale begins and ends. I do agree that when I drive north and hit Shea Blvd., I feel like I'm in another city. I've looked at properties in North Scottsdale north of Frank Lloyd Wright and wasn't impressed. I think if you're going to live in Scottsdale, live in central Scottsdale or south of Shea. You'll thank me when you realize exactly how much driving you'll avoid by living more centrally. But, hey, you might like 30 mile drives to go to a restaurant. North Scottsdale is more pretentious, the drivers are worse (they live in their car!), and there's little or no shade. Forget the elevation increase, you can't beat shade! This push to live further and further out yet still lay claim to living in a city is beyond me. If gas gets to $5 a gallon, all of the people who live in the suburbs and exurbs will gripe and complain. What a mistake to base your life on 'getting away from it all' when the real goal is to unify and cooperate with each other. You can't do that behind miles of walled in subdivisions. Sorry, I'm ranting. Skip North Scottsdale and live more centrally for all to benefit.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:08 AM

65 posts, read 479,350 times
We just bought a house this week in Peoria, and they told us (several realtors) that Peoria has some of the best schools. We bought in Vistancia and it has a beautiful neighborhood and mountain views. You can buy anything from the mid 300's through the millions (Blackstone part of development).

Old 02-17-2007, 01:49 PM

Default N Scottsdale

Thanks for the suggestions, but we have a young daughter and want to stay in the Scottsdale School District.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoverdi View Post
We just bought a house this week in Peoria, and they told us (several realtors) that Peoria has some of the best schools. We bought in Vistancia and it has a beautiful neighborhood and mountain views. You can buy anything from the mid 300's through the millions (Blackstone part of development).

Old 02-18-2007, 08:43 PM

1,965 posts, read 2,314,469 times
buy a house with a pool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area