Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 06:51 AM

102 posts, read 271,378 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Thinking of moving out to N Scottsdale in a couple of years. We are now looking at the 85255,85262,85259 and 85260 zips. I know that 55 and 62 are a part of N Scottsdale, but what about 59 and 60? We want to stay away from 85263 because of its "retirement influence". We have a 10 month old daughter. Is N Scottsdale anything north of 101? We want to stay away from any congestion, be a little closer to the mountains with slightly higher elevation.

Thanks,
AL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 11:18 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
The definition of North Scottsdale is a moving target due to the steady growth of the city. When I first moved to the area in the '80s (also from Westchester, by the way), anything north of Shea Boulevard was considered north. The boundary then moved to Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard, and now, as you suggest, it might be the 101 Freeway. In the future, who know how far out one will have to drive before being considered in North Scottsdale?

As for avoidance of congestion, I think you'd actually do better to settle in an established area of Central Scottsdale such as McCormick Ranch. Many newcomers move to the outer fringes of the area thinking that it will ensure a less congested lifestyle. What often happens is that the rural atmosphere in place upon move-in is lost in a few years as more development occurs and roads become choked with traffic. Right now, the 101 Freeway and Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard are subject to heavy congestion because of the explosive growth in the area.

Central Scottsdale, on the other hand, is already built-up, so traffic levels are fairly steady. In addition, more mature neighborhoods mean more mature trees, providing better abatement of traffic noise and summer heat. As for proximity to the mountains, you can have that in either North or Central Scottsdale. At the north end, you might be near the McDowell Mountains or Pinnacle Peak. Farther south, you might be equally close to Camelback Mountain, Piestewa Peak, Mummy Mountain, etc.

From my point of view, North Scottsdale offers an advantage only in terms of elevation. You'll want to consider carefully how that advantage weighs against the congestion associated with the rapidly growing edges of the metropolitan area.

Last edited by exit2lef; 02-12-2007 at 11:34 AM..

Old 02-12-2007, 11:30 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
The definition of North Scottsdale is a moving target due to the steady growth of the city. When I first moved to the area in the '80s (also from Westchester, by the way), anything north of Shea Boulevard was considered north. The boundary them moved to Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard, and now, as you suggest, it might be the 101 Freeway. In the future, who know how far out one will have to drive before being considered in North Scottsdale?

As for avoidance of congestion, I think you'd actually do better to settle in an established area of Central Scottsdale such as McCormick Ranch. Many newcomers move to the outer fringes of the area thinking that it will ensure a less congested lifestyle. What often happens is that the rural atmosphere in place upon move-in is lost in a few years as more development occurs and roads become choked with traffic. Right now, the 101 Freeway and Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard are subject to heavy congestion because of the explosive growth in the area.

Central Scottsdale, on the other hand, is already built-up, so traffic levels are fairly steady. In addition, more mature neighborhoods mean more mature trees, providing better abatement of traffic noise and summer heat. As for proximity to the mountains, you can have that in either North or Central Scottsdale. At the north end, you might be near the McDowell Mountains or Pinnacle Peak. Farther south, you might be equally close to Camelback Mountain, Piestewa Peak, Mummy Mountain, etc.

From my point of view, North Scottsdale offers an advantage only in terms of elevation. You'll want to consider carefully how that advantage weighs against the congestion associated with the rapidly growing edges of the metropolitan area.
There's some real pearls of wisdom in this post. I have spent 35 years of my life out here running from the mob by buying in new ever more distant areas. You put up with no services or shopping in return for an illusion of a less congested life and the latest trend in tract housing. But invariably the hordes catch up with you, and when they do the schools get crowded, the taxes go up to build more schools for their kids, every road in every direction is ripped up and the traffic is just a nightmare. And today's cool home style is tomorrow out of fashion (anyone remember the fish-scale, Victorian houses that were hot in the 80's?) I now see the wisdom in moving somewhere decent that already is "finished".

Old 02-12-2007, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the replies. Definitely gives me a different prespective on things. A real estate agent that I emailed said basically the same thing and that his 2 favorite zips were 59 and 60 between Frank Lloyd Wright/Bell Road and Doubletree Ranch Rd. Another question, how about the local schools. Coming from Northern Westcheser, NY education is a priority for us and our daughter. God knows we are now paying the astronomical property taxes for them. Are any of the schools better than the others? I've read very good things about Chaparral HS, but dont know about the other (Desert Mountain, Saguaro,etc.)

Thanks, AL

Old 02-12-2007, 12:31 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,062 times
You'll be happy to know property taxes are lower here than NY. AZ makes up for it, at least in part, on vehicle license tax. (say goodbye to your double digit registration fees!).

There was an article in the Arizona Republic about school districts, taxes etc. within the last month or so. There's an area of Scottsdale east of Pima around Dynamite that has a school district, but no schools. The kids are bussed to neighboring districts. Their taxes are a lot less. My city-data hero and walking encyclopedia- Ponderosa - may be able to help with that. My step son lives up there in a beautiful house, but his son is only 3, so I can't give any input about current Scottsdale schools, except Chaparral, and then it's only about their baseball program.

I did 2 thru 12 in the Scottsdale system on the south side (Coronado High). It was a great then but that was many years ago. North Scottsdale was anything above McDonald Dr., and the only thing near Pinnacle Peak was the restaurant.

I think Scottsdale is beginning to run out of room to grow to the north. Silverbear made some great points also. You'll be driving a long ways for nearly everything. The only thing in walking distance will be your mailbox.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:50 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
There's an area of Scottsdale east of Pima around Dynamite that has a school district, but no schools. The kids are bussed to neighboring districts.
The school district without schools, known as the Christopher Verde School District, is in far northeast Scottsdale, and it's somewhat controversial. While the residents enjoy lower taxes, some believe that they are merely shifting the burden of fully financing schools to the surrounding districts. There has been legislation proposed that would outlaw such districts.

As for specific schools mentioned, I have known several families whose children have attended Chaparral. They seemed generally pleased with the education provided. I'm less familiar with Saguaro and Desert Mountain, although I believe all high schools in Scottsdale are fairly well regarded.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:12 PM

Thanks again for the replies. We don't mind being a little out of the way from everything. We are coming from a village of 5,000 people with the closest metro area about 20 miles away (White Plains, NY and Stamford, CT). Manhattan is about 60 miles away. We have to drive everywhere. The lots in this town are zoned for 2 acres. I thought I would like the privacy when we first moved here in 2005, but its actually too private. We never see our neighbors. That's why Ill settle for any lot over 7500sq ft now as long as it's in a quiet gated community with nice mountain (and not desert) views.

AL

Old 02-12-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
The school district without schools, known as the Christopher Verde School District, is in far northeast Scottsdale, and it's somewhat controversial. While the residents enjoy lower taxes, some believe that they are merely shifting the burden of fully financing schools to the surrounding districts. There has been legislation proposed that would outlaw such districts.

As for specific schools mentioned, I have known several families whose children have attended Chaparral. They seemed generally pleased with the education provided. I'm less familiar with Saguaro and Desert Mountain, although I believe all high schools in Scottsdale are fairly well regarded.
Thanks. I hope they pass that. I was more than a little angry when I read the article.

ajgranda, you'll have mountain views, but they will be desert mountain views. If you want trees with real leaves, you'll have to go outside the valley. Have you spent much time in AZ? I love the heat, which is why I stayed in the Phoenix metro area most of my life. The real beauty of AZ is that we have everything as far as climate goes within an hour or two of Phoenix (except the beach, and that's only 6-8 hours away).

Old 02-12-2007, 04:04 PM

aj661,

No, Ive never been to AZ yet. I will see it for myself this September. My wife has and loves it. I did see backyard pictures from a property on the Mcdowell Mountain subdivision of the mountains and thought they were incredible. I actually want to stay way from a lot of greenary due to my allergies. We have every conceivable type of tree and grass here in Westchester, NY.

Thanks

Old 02-12-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgranda View Post
aj661,

No, Ive never been to AZ yet. I will see it for myself this September. My wife has and loves it. I did see backyard pictures from a property on the Mcdowell Mountain subdivision of the mountains and thought they were incredible. I actually want to stay way from a lot of greenary due to my allergies. We have every conceivable type of tree and grass here in Westchester, NY.

Thanks
I'm on my 3rd marriage so I'm certainly no expert, but there's one thing I have learned: If my wife loves it, I do too .

Just go easy your first summer here. Drink lots of water, use lots of sun screen.

Welcome to AZ Brother AL!

p.s. At least in my case, the 3rd time really is the charm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area