Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:01 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
There are few liberal areas in the Phoenix metro area. Tempe comes across as being liberal due to the nearby university. Downtown Phoenix comes across as being increasingly progressive and liberal, as well.

If you want an expansive liberal, progressive scene in an urban area of Arizona, I would suggest Tucson. Tucson has a very high percentage of open-minded, progressive, educated Democrats. Pima County (home of Tucson) is the only county in Arizona that rejected the constitutional ban on gay marriage. It is also one of the few counties in Arizona that went for Obama.

However, I know you are looking in the Phoenix area, so you might either be forced to relax some of your standards or look in the few areas that are being suggested.
I cannot recommend Tucson at all............it has all of Phx's drawbacks and a few more (worse highway system, lower wages for even skilled blue collar workers, and more expensive housing).

Sad because I probably would have liked Tucson 25-30 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
I guess liberal to some means anything goes. Maybe I should have used the term progressive. I just want to avoid ultra conservative, intolerant religious types.
By your definition: I would be a 'Liberal'.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:25 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,032,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Oh, sorry. Don't come here. I live in N. Scottsdale, which is no doubt republican, but I've been here for Five Long Years. There are no Liberal places here. Maricopa County went Red. Save yourself a headache and DO NOT MOVE HERE! Seriously. I am doing you a favor by saying this. I am well educated. I have an MBA. I am a Liberal. Do NOT move here!

5 years and yet you stay. You are such a ****ing whiner. LEAVE. Seriously.

You have an MBA! Wow. Big deal. You are so impressed with your hideous self. How is that working out for you, bitter idiot? Can't even live in a place you enjoy.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:58 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,320,435 times
SF liberals are some of the most intolerant folks on the face of the globe. Just go there and express the wrong view and see what happens. It is ridiculous. Also the day to day quality of life there SUCKS.
Phoenix is a middle class paradise by comparison. I have experienced both first hand - the trade off is worth it.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I still think it's funny that Sen. McCain is considered conservative.

Carry on...
I guess it depends on who is doing the labeling...I too, would never put him in the conservative corner or even near there...

Old 11-12-2008, 01:25 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
SF liberals are some of the most intolerant folks on the face of the globe. Just go there and express the wrong view and see what happens. It is ridiculous. Also the day to day quality of life there SUCKS.
Phoenix is a middle class paradise by comparison. I have experienced both first hand - the trade off is worth it.
boy you have that one right!!!!

Nita

Old 11-12-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
No joke there.

Some of those SF 'liberal' hypocrites would put the Fundie Bible thumpers to shame where true intolerance is concerned.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:33 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I cannot recommend Tucson at all............it has all of Phx's drawbacks and a few more (worse highway system, lower wages for even skilled blue collar workers, and more expensive housing).

Sad because I probably would have liked Tucson 25-30 years ago.
Not true. Tucson has clean air, Phoenix does not. Tucson embraces the desert it is in, Phoenix does not. The amount of natural recreation in Tucson and vicinity puts Phoenix to shame. Tucson has nicer weather. Tucsonans do not bend backwards to the every whim and wish of developers, Phoenicians do. Tucson is also more liberal and progressive than Phoenix is.

Granted, Tucson's median income is significantly lower than that of Phoenix's. You also don't mention that the cost of living is significantly lower in Tucson than it is in Phoenix ($727 vs. $585 for average rent). It is true that a higher percentage of people in Tucson work in unskilled industries. There are people, however, who are professionals who make very high salaries. Travel to the foothills and you will see that there are people doing quite well. Tucson does have small freeway system. Residents have shot down proposals time and time again because they do not want Tucson to copy Phoenix's development patterns.

I can see how Phoenix is more attractive for some: generally more to do, higher average salaries, newer architecture, rampant construction, extreme growth rate. However, for actual quality of life indicators, Tucson wins hands down.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:12 PM

28 posts, read 69,086 times
Originally Posted by markas214
"I guess liberal to some means anything goes. Maybe I should have used the term progressive. I just want to avoid ultra conservative, intolerant religious types."

Wow, you sound very intolerant.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Not true. Tucson has clean air, Phoenix does not. Tucson embraces the desert it is in, Phoenix does not. The amount of natural recreation in Tucson and vicinity puts Phoenix to shame. Tucson has nicer weather. Tucsonans do not bend backwards to the every whim and wish of developers, Phoenicians do. Tucson is also more liberal and progressive than Phoenix is.

Granted, Tucson's median income is significantly lower than that of Phoenix's. You also don't mention that the cost of living is significantly lower in Tucson than it is in Phoenix ($727 vs. $585 for average rent). It is true that a higher percentage of people in Tucson work in unskilled industries. There are people, however, who are professionals who make very high salaries. Travel to the foothills and you will see that there are people doing quite well. Tucson does have small freeway system. Residents have shot down proposals time and time again because they do not want Tucson to copy Phoenix's development patterns.

I can see how Phoenix is more attractive for some: generally more to do, higher average salaries, newer architecture, rampant construction, extreme growth rate. However, for actual quality of life indicators, Tucson wins hands down.
Your experiences with Tucson were obviously different than mine.

I am an auto alignment technician by trade and back in 2004 a Big O Tire there offered me $10 an hour, needless to say, I declined the job. Here in the Phx area I was typically paid $14 an hour (or better) doing the exact same work.

Too; several other people who lived in Tucson got tired of the BS wages and left.

Again: based on my personal experience I cannot recommend Tucson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area