Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 07:32 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,027,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Dry heat or humid heat?
Don't matter. Heat is heat. Only makes sense in a shower or a sauna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 06:27 AM

39,108 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Don't matter. Heat is heat. Only makes sense in a shower or a sauna.
Nothing could be farther from the truth. Humidity is EVERYTHING when it comes to (relative) comfort in the summer in PHX. Anyone who experienced Saturday morning when the humidity from the hurricane was here and Sunday when it was bone dry again would wholeheartedly agree.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:46 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Nothing could be farther from the truth. Humidity is EVERYTHING when it comes to (relative) comfort in the summer in PHX. Anyone who experienced Saturday morning when the humidity from the hurricane was here and Sunday when it was bone dry again would wholeheartedly agree.
I hiked Saturday and biked Sunday. I sweat equally bad both days. While I prefer the drier air, I also liked the lower temps on Saturday. Its a lose-lose here in Phoenix in summer... either take the blistering hot dry air, or the more damp cool air. Pick your poison.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:06 AM

39,108 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I hiked Saturday and biked Sunday. I sweat equally bad both days. While I prefer the drier air, I also liked the lower temps on Saturday. Its a lose-lose here in Phoenix in summer... either take the blistering hot dry air, or the more damp cool air. Pick your poison.
That's why I said mornings. I was shocked by how different it felt on those days with one having a dewpoint of 65 or so and the other 25. But you're right. Summer sucks here after 10am.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:40 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,314,946 times
I was out Saturday morning shopping early. I heard someone say "sure is muggy out there." HUH? Didn't notice it at all. Had to check the weather on my phone to see just how "bad" it was. Felt dry to me!

Old 06-08-2015, 12:02 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I was out Saturday morning shopping early. I heard someone say "sure is muggy out there." HUH? Didn't notice it at all. Had to check the weather on my phone to see just how "bad" it was. Felt dry to me!
You mean to tell me you didnt step out from your cool, dry, air-conditioned place and step into that muggy, swampy air and NOT feel it? Just wait til August when the morning temps will be in the upper 80s/low 90s, with 70-75 degree dewpoints. Thatll steam your glasses right up. Its gross.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:06 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,314,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You mean to tell me you didnt step out from your cool, dry, air-conditioned place and step into that muggy, swampy air and NOT feel it? Just wait til August when the morning temps will be in the upper 80s/low 90s, with 70-75 degree dewpoints. Thatll steam your glasses right up. Its gross.

Not at all! I didn't notice it last summer, either. Feels fine to me, not at all "gross". I had the top down as I ran errands, too, so I was out in it even when driving.

I've felt humid, just not here. Not at ALL. SORRY!

Old 06-10-2015, 11:08 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,056,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBEA View Post
What boggles my mind, and always has since I first came to the phx area in the early 70's was....WHY were they not smart enough to build their homes mostly underground?

It's the desert. Dig down 10 to 15 feet and the earth mass temp stays a relatively constant 53 degrees to 60 degrees....year round. Why place their Swamp Coolers on TOP of the houses or their AC directly on the western side of the house? It would work more efficiently on the east side of the house where it at least gets the afternoon shade.

So much for so-called innovation and logic in the western world.
I mostly agree with your points; however, homes built partially underground might be less attractive.
What irritates me most with current home builders in the valley is that they don't even offer the option of an evap cooling system (heat pump being standard and included in the price.) Evap. coolers are everywhere in Albuquerque and Denver.

Another bone to pick with local builders is their use of CRAPPY windows, especially metal framed, single pane windows. Maybe this has improved since my 1992 home was built. I guess I should put my blame on the local building codes that allow this insanity.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:15 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,056,993 times
Hate the heat island effect of all the concrete, buildings, roads and air conditioners pumping hot air into the city center?
Plant lawns, lush trees; Forget fretting about the water use they take. It's well worth it and isn't as expensive as you think.

Why don't major stores/ retailers install decent sized trees in the parking islands like other cities? It's because the idiots don't design the system to allow the trees to get water, aeration, and maintenance/fertilization.

Case in point: Hot Sacramento CA has an ordinance that requires 50% of the parking lots to be shaded by trees. Imagine that happening in hotter Phoenix. The political will is not there.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:23 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,598,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I mostly agree with your points; however, homes built partially underground might be less attractive.
What irritates me most with current home builders in the valley is that they don't even offer the option of an evap cooling system (heat pump being standard and included in the price.) Evap. coolers are everywhere in Albuquerque and Denver.

Another bone to pick with local builders is their use of CRAPPY windows, especially metal framed, single pane windows. Maybe this has improved since my 1992 home was built. I guess I should put my blame on the local building codes that allow this insanity.
Dual pane windows are standard in new construction now. I agree evap cooling systems absolutely should still be going into new construction. It would save a lot of money and put less stress on the power grid at least during Feb, March, April, May, and October when it's still hot and dry but not over 100.

Regarding current humidity, I like it. It's so much healthier for the skin. I did notice I must have acclimated quite a bit to dry air as I'm having a bit of a hard time breathing the heavier air. Just not used to it anymore I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area