Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:00 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,180,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
I came from a Republican background (parents), but voted Libertarian since the late 70s. You don't see it but I see the trend: There is a greater crackdown on civil liberties and Joe is at the forefront.

You may be laughing, but eventually some of what you do will eventually become illegal and a misdemeanor. We are becoming more of a totalitarian society. It's Fascism without the racist stuff. Fascism is where there is a partnership between private industry and government. This has certainly been happening in the last 12 months where your taxes and mine go out to support the big business. At the state level, Arizona is working on killing your private lifestyle.

This is the America that the sheople allowed by default.
Thanks for defining "Fascism" for us as we are apparently too stupid to understand such a large word . Anyway~~~

That's a bit extreme.....you are trying to sell some sort of conspiracy theory here. Actually, that reminds me.....O'reilly is on tonight....can't miss his "no spin" take on politics

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 08:52 AM

939 posts, read 2,686,174 times
Joe is a narrow-minded grandstander, nothing more

Old 02-27-2009, 09:27 AM

652 posts, read 2,716,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
How exactly is it an "encroachment on civil liberties"? One of those people who try using legal terms learned in High School to try and sound smart by slamming the police because they got a ticket by the evil, bad popo!
Attacking Civil Liberties:

racial profiling:
Phoenix News - Guadalupe made it clear that Joe Arpaio’s attacking anyone with brown skin - page 1

American Civil Liberties Union : Sheriff Arpaio Sued Over Racial Profiling Of Latinos In Maricopa County
Quote:
"In this country we value fairness and equality. There's nothing fair or equal about armed deputies pulling people over and treating them differently because of the color of their skin," "Sheriff Arpaio does not have the right to profile people because they look Latino regardless of their immigration status. His job is to uphold the law, not violate people's rights."
Arpaio's guards killed a shackled and restrained inmate:
Phoenix News - Was Juan Mendoza Farias beaten to death by Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s guards? - page 1
Quote:
Juan Mendoza Farias was arrested and booked into the Maricopa County Jail. Like a lot of people who come through Sheriff Joe Arpaio's doors, Farias' offense was DUI-related, a probation violation. Farias wound up with a death sentence.
Separating a Latino mother from her hysterical young children for an unpaid parking ticket:
Sheriff Joe Arpaio Separates Mother from Children, Immigrant Crack Down
Quote:
Two young children were separated from their mother, Ciria Lopez, in Maricopa County, Arizona earlier this week when she was arrested for an unpaid traffic ticket.
Class Action suit that Sheriff Joe's prisons did not meet Constitutional standards:
Latest News - Federal Judge Rules Against Joe Arpaio in Landmark Class-Action Jail Lawsuit

Quote:
"Sheriff Arpaio's horrendous treatment of detainees, especially those with severe medical and mental-health problems, has caused terrible suffering for years," Winter said. "Judge Wake's decision should serve as a reminder that even a man who brags about being the 'toughest sheriff in America' has to abide by the Constitution."
I could keep googling this for you, or if you are curious, you could do it yourself. If you want to be ignorant, then continue ignoring the atrocities going on in your city... But you probably don't care since you don't have brown skin, do you?

Old 02-27-2009, 09:59 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,760,954 times
When I first came to the valley in the late 70's, I worked with a guy who was born in Mesa. He was a US Citizen, college graduate and happened to be of Mexican heritage. One time we were in his truck heading out for lunch and he handed me something to put in his glove compartment. I opened the glove compartment and saw that a US Passport was sitting there. I asked him why it was there and he explained that he frequently had to produce it to law enforcement people to prove that he belonged here. I haven't seen Bob in years but I bet if he lives in Maricopa County his passport is still in his glove compartment. I wonder how many of the white folks who think that Joe is doing such a good job have passports in their glove compartments.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:41 AM

75 posts, read 189,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
The restrictions do not allow ILLIGAL immigrants to work in the US.....HUGE difference. And why should we allow them to work here??? Are they not doing something Illegal by being here????? If they want to come here to make a better life for their families they should do it the legal way....bottom line. Otherwise, they should not bwork here.......they should be deported.
Yes, I agree but probably didn't say it right. Immigrants need to do what they need to do to be here. They are still immigrants approved or not.
The only people that aren't are Indians.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:41 AM

648 posts, read 3,096,280 times
I LOVE JOE! GO JOE! He's a good man, doing a good job.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:13 PM

3,003 posts, read 3,555,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlaz View Post
Yes, I agree but probably didn't say it right. Immigrants need to do what they need to do to be here. They are still immigrants approved or not.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,323,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlaz View Post

Illegal immigrants in AZ are being detained, incarcerated and deported - literally by the busloads.

And, it will continue to be so

Old 03-01-2009, 06:15 PM

824 posts, read 2,340,372 times
People unfamiliar with the US Constitution tend to be fans of Arpaio. And that is coming from a Three Points, AZ Minuteman volunteer, so obviously I am not a supporter of illegal immigration.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:22 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,657,072 times
How effective is he, though? From what I've read, Maricopa County actually has a murder rate that is way above the national average. Would someone truly "tough on crime" permit this over such a long period of time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area