Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Phoenix: economy, job market, car repairs, cost of living.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:21 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

This might sound weird but I like Phoenix the way it is now. Due to the poor economy, a lot of people left and that race-like mentality and frenzied pace of people competing to buy homes or anything for that matter (cars, furniture, gym memberships) has died and it reminds me of how the valley was 10 years ago. My morning commute is significantly better. The driving has improved. Houses are affordable. Restaurants are not packed and you don't have to wait an hour for a table. I went to the movies last night and we didn't have to stand in line or have to buy tickets for a movie that was playing 2 hours later. Service in restaurants, stores etc is much better. I went into Ultimate Electronics and people were waiting on me hand and foot and being considerate. A year ago, you had to wait to get anyone to answer a question and they would act like you are burdening them with your questions. I also think the people who are now here are the ones who genuinely love the city because the job market isn't good so whoever is choosing to stay or come genuinely loves it as opposed to 3 years ago when people decided to "try out Phoenix" because they heard great things about the city but didn't know anything about Phoenix; I don't know, it just seems like a different mentality in my opinion. In short, in my opinion, the city is back to having that laid back mentality that seemed to be missing the last 4 years. You can even see it on this forum as this forum is much more benevolent than it was when nearly every other post was an anti-Phoenix thread some time ago.

Honestly, I'm aware a lot of people are out of work so I am sorry and don't mean to take delight in your struggles. I pray for you guys and I know everything will work out in due time. However for those of us who were fortunate enough to maintain employment and have a home, I personally have enjoyed the changes by the slowing down of the local economy. I don't really miss that craziness. Agree or Disagree...what is your take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 12:32 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I haven't noticed much difference except maybe some of the road projects are completing before they get torn up for the next one. Maybe it is like 10 years ago, but I was not much of a fan for that either. Give me 30 years ago...or more.

As for the forum, it's March. Wait 'till August to see how nice everyone is. Seriously I think you may have a point. No one can move out who wants to so one tends to accept.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Things are calmer here...........

Hell: even that bling/plastic crap is not nearly as pronounced compared to 2007-----------more and more people are getting back down to basics which is a good thing IMHO.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:49 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This might sound weird but I like Phoenix the way it is now. Due to the poor economy, a lot of people left and that race-like mentality and frenzied pace of people competing to buy homes or anything for that matter (cars, furniture, gym memberships) has died and it reminds me of how the valley was 10 years ago. My morning commute is significantly better. The driving has improved. Houses are affordable. Restaurants are not packed and you don't have to wait an hour for a table. I went to the movies last night and we didn't have to stand in line or have to buy tickets for a movie that was playing 2 hours later. Service in restaurants, stores etc is much better. I went into Ultimate Electronics and people were waiting on me hand and foot and being considerate. A year ago, you had to wait to get anyone to answer a question and they would act like you are burdening them with your questions. I also think the people who are now here are the ones who genuinely love the city because the job market isn't good so whoever is choosing to stay or come genuinely loves it as opposed to 3 years ago when people decided to "try out Phoenix" because they heard great things about the city but didn't know anything about Phoenix; I don't know, it just seems like a different mentality in my opinion. In short, in my opinion, the city is back to having that laid back mentality that seemed to be missing the last 4 years. You can even see it on this forum as this forum is much more benevolent than it was when nearly every other post was an anti-Phoenix thread some time ago.

Honestly, I'm aware a lot of people are out of work so I am sorry and don't mean to take delight in your struggles. I pray for you guys and I know everything will work out in due time. However for those of us who were fortunate enough to maintain employment and have a home, I personally have enjoyed the changes by the slowing down of the local economy. I don't really miss that craziness. Agree or Disagree...what is your take?

I haven't noticed it on my commute at all or the restaurants I been too but I have noticed it on the forum.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
I have noticed a genuine politeness all around in stores, on the road and in general. This is so much in contrast to my first week here, when a woman in a car gave me the finger and another young kid ran a red light and nearly killed me. Granted, its 8 years later, but Phoenix does seem more polite lately. And, I think people are hid away in their homes, and have not moved away. They just don't have money to spend, on anything. I LOVE the way downtown looks now. The light rail has made a big difference, IMHO.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:15 AM

824 posts, read 2,335,408 times
There are certainly fewer people at many businesses. I do not know if I would characterize their behavior as more polite, but fewer people around would usually mean fewer numbskulls. I think that many of the places that have closed up were subsidized by loose lending and cheap money. Fancy candle shops and similar stores were pretty decadent and I think that the United States will manage fine with fewer of them.

As for improved customer service being on the rise. . . maybe. But any business that lets employees treat anyone rudely (me or anyone within my hearing distance) pretty much loses my business forever. Certainly a two strikes policy applied by a majority of people would largely put an end to that nonsense.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:42 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
Perhaps people are becoming humble. And that's a good thing. I haven't noticed much since I spend a lot of my time working in Los Angeles while my permanent address is in Phoenix. When I'm in Phoenix, I go to a bar at my usual restaurant to get a beer and eat an early dinner before it's crowded, so I always get a place to sit anyway.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:49 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,320,435 times
It is difficult for me to judge the social milieu because I have lived here 2+ decades. I would like to believe however, that this downturn will result in a basic change of direction for the Valley’s economy away from real estate speculation.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:11 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
When I moved here almost 12 years ago, it was a different Phoenix. People, in general, were accomodating, pleasant, etc. Then, it slowly changed. Each year, the rudeness factor grew exponentially.
I wouldn't mind a much smaller Phoenix, but I do feel for anyone who's recently experienced alot of losses. I think getting back to basics is a good lesson for the US--however disconcerting it might be--maybe there's a lesson to be learned through all of this.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
When I moved here almost 12 years ago, it was a different Phoenix. People, in general, were accomodating, pleasant, etc. Then, it slowly changed. Each year, the rudeness factor grew exponentially.
I wouldn't mind a much smaller Phoenix, but I do feel for anyone who's recently experienced alot of losses. I think getting back to basics is a good lesson for the US--however disconcerting it might be--maybe there's a lesson to be learned through all of this.
You basically said everything I wanted to say. That is exactly how I feel. I felt like the city beginning around 2003-2004ish took a different tone and the rudeness factor increased. However, during this past year, I feel like it has changed. Like others have mentioned, maybe people are humbled and there is less of the "Let me show you what I have" mentality. I feel bad for the losses so I don't want to celebrate the misfortunes of others but if there is a silver lining, I think this is it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: