Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:00 AM

219 posts, read 765,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Timothy McVeigh used that line to justify his action in the OKC bombing.
That's a remarkable comparison, McVeigh a mass murder vs a Government full of Individuals who are willfully not doing what They swore a oath to carry out. What other Country has this self inflected guilt that it's borders are to be neglected? Any Nation that has given up it's own Self preservation is doomed.
Here's a revalutionary thought, the Citizens of Mexico should restore Their Goverment's duty to ensure their well being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 08:32 AM

467 posts, read 1,191,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
PS: I self identify as a Liberal----------until gun rights and illegal immigration are mentioned then I turn hard right.
I'm sorry...what? You turn right when it comes to illegal immigration.
When has the right, or the left, given a S*** about illegal immigration?

Both parties are worried about...their voting numbers on the (left) and big bussiness on the (right). While the independent looks at both side and shakes their heads. Thank god, we have a two party system.

This way nothing get done. I guess that's the beauty of the system. We as tax payers continue to pay salaries to representatives that just don't care. Oh, I can here it now. McCain does a lot. Yeah, sound bit that help other states. What about this state! You know, the state that we the tax payers pay him for.

We continue to pay as tax payers, while he go galavanting around the country, trying to get elected as president, bragging that he doesn't do nothing for the state, no "pork" to bring home to secure the border, then laughs about...how he want to be your immigration President, all the time looking the other way. Thank you for your help Mr. McCain!

I can't wait for the next two years so that I can vote for you. NOT!

Old 03-27-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7 View Post
Here's a revalutionary thought, the Citizens of Mexico should restore Their Goverment's duty to ensure their well being.
It's hard to do when they are all over here!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:45 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,096,429 times
NPR: Mexican Drug Cartels In The U.S. Click on your state and see how much YOU should be concerned. Some of you might be surprised you have more to worry about than AZ.

Well, we can all move to North Dakota to escape it right now, then on into Canada. Washington actually has more to worry about at the present time. It is a scary issue, you don't know if your neighbors are drug users, most likely someone on your street smokes pot or uses something so we are all at risk but I think this applies in every state the Cartel is working not just border states. A neighbor of mine works at the elementary school, is on the PTA, and heads the girl scout troop, but she also smokes pot. Unless you live right on the border it's about the same risk in Phoenix as it is in any major city they settle in. I am more concerned about the youth they hire as killers not being professional enough to hit their aim. lol
I think the only way to blow it open is to legalize it. I don't use drugs and never have but I can clearly see that a "war on drugs" is just an on going battle that we are just not going to win. It's like a long low grade Vietnam, we just aren't equipped to handle this fight and won't ever be. It would probably help improve this economy as well and being a regulated substance would cut down on a lot of problems in our prison system. To many people in our jails right now.

I realize I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this statement but I do believe that it's ridiculous to advertise all these drugs on the television everyday for big $ but at the same time have this "war on drugs" going on side by side. If all these anti depres, and weight loss drugs are legal than I don't see why pot and coc. are illegal. Same stuff really and it makes us look ridiculous. If we can carve ourselves up with plastic surg. and get some pain meds legaly, then why can't we buy marj? We need to make up our minds, all or nothing. We are either going to ban all substances or trust people to make their own decisions for their own lives.

By the way I don't drink either, even though alcohol is legal to purchase. I don't believe everyone will start using drugs if its legalized and if someone switches to marj. from a anti depress. then please tell me the difference. Other than one is legal and one is not.
Can someone tell me honestly what is the fear on legalizing illegal drugs? It can't be that they are worse than what's legal right now, so what is it? Moral? I know plenty of moral people on meds and that drink their asses off. lol What is the problem?
You can clearly see the problem with it being illegal, right?
Arizona IS the state with the MOST drugs smuggled over it's border. So many we should eliminate this by legalizing it.
The argument that the cartel would still sell it cheaper won't fly. People will get it from legal dist. if we legalize it. Most people buy beer and wine from us, not some guy making it in his garage. Even if it's cheaper. I think the same thing would happen with drugs.
Sorry so long winded, just this issue puzzles me to no end. There is a clear solution yet we are forbidden to take it even though we have in the past with other substances. I wonder why?

Last edited by twiggy; 03-27-2009 at 09:53 AM..

Old 03-27-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
NPR: Mexican Drug Cartels In The U.S. Click on your state and see how much YOU should be concerned. Some of you might be surprised you have more to worry about than AZ.

Well, we can all move to North Dakota to escape it right now, then on into Canada. Washington actually has more to worry about at the present time. It is a scary issue, you don't know if your neighbors are drug users, most likely someone on your street smokes pot or uses something so we are all at risk but I think this applies in every state the Cartel is working not just border states. A neighbor of mine works at the elementary school, is on the PTA, and heads the girl scout troop, but she also smokes pot. Unless you live right on the border it's about the same risk in Phoenix as it is in any major city they settle in. I am more concerned about the youth they hire as killers not being professional enough to hit their aim. lol
I think the only way to blow it open is to legalize it. I don't use drugs and never have but I can clearly see that a "war on drugs" is just an on going battle that we are just not going to win. It's like a long low grade Vietnam, we just aren't equipped to handle this fight and won't ever be. It would probably help improve this economy as well and being a regulated substance would cut down on a lot of problems in our prison system. To many people in our jails right now.

I realize I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this statement but I do believe that it's ridiculous to advertise all these drugs on the television everyday for big $ but at the same time have this "war on drugs" going on side by side. If all these anti depres, and weight loss drugs are legal than I don't see why pot and coc. are illegal. Same stuff really and it makes us look ridiculous. If we can carve ourselves up with plastic surg. and get some pain meds legaly, then why can't we buy marj? We need to make up our minds, all or nothing. We are either going to ban all substances or trust people to make their own decisions for their own lives.

By the way I don't drink either, even though alcohol is legal to purchase. I don't believe everyone will start using drugs if its legalized and if someone switches to marj. from a anti depress. then please tell me the difference. Other than one is legal and one is not.
Can someone tell me honestly what is the fear on legalizing illegal drugs? It can't be that they are worse than what's legal right now, so what is it? Moral? I know plenty of moral people on meds and that drink their asses off. lol What is the problem?
You can clearly see the problem with it being illegal, right?
Arizona IS the state with the MOST drugs smuggled over it's border. So many we should eliminate this by legalizing it.
The argument that the cartel would still sell it cheaper won't fly. People will get it from legal dist. if we legalize it. Most people buy beer and wine from us, not some guy making it in his garage. Even if it's cheaper. I think the same thing would happen with drugs.
Sorry so long winded, just this issue puzzles me to no end. There is a clear solution yet we are forbidden to take it even though we have in the past with other substances. I wonder why?
Well, I can see your point as far as pot is concerned. However, the Cocane and Meth is out of the question. The two drugs increase the crime rate because they are so addicting that you will want to kill your own mother to get cash from her to buy it. I have seen what this drug does to a family.

The flow of drugs into this country is staggering, so bad that semi's loaded of drugs cross the border each day, and the border patrol can't stop everything.

Here's how the Mexican's feel about this problem..."Why should we stop, we are only supplying a demand. It's yure fault that we have to makes these drugs for joo essay. Joo want them, so we have to make them for joo Americans. It's not our problemo, it's your problemo for wanting them, we are just trying too help!"

In the mean time, this is what happens:

YouTube - BORDER - trailer to the movie part 2

Old 03-27-2009, 10:56 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,184,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
If all these anti depres, and weight loss drugs are legal than I don't see why pot and coc. are illegal. Same stuff really and it makes us look ridiculous.
Marijuana, cocaine and amphetamines get people high. Anti-depressants and weight loss drugs don't make you high, except for the once prescribed amphetamines for weight loss but that is a discontinued practice because the drug addicted the weight loss patients. Anti-depressants have little potential for abuse, don't make you high, and about the only problem is that sometimes patients take an overdose attempting to commit suicide.

Anyway there's a lot of difference between doctor monitored medical treatment and taking recreational drugs to get high.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:04 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,195,674 times
As for pot (marijuana): I would prefer to see it legal as well.

Most of the regulatory machinery is already in place to control the sale, taxation and penalties i.e. DUI levels (THC), etc. can be put in place.

Cocaine and especially Meth-----------no way.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:06 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,197,297 times
I'm sure there is no need to be obsessed about this, but the fact is that kidnapping civilians is fairly common in Mexico, and it has happened in the U.S. It seems kind of naive to assume that this can just be ignored because you think it will never affect people not involved in the drug trade.

U.S. rattled as Mexico drug war bleeds over border | Reuters

Old 03-27-2009, 07:20 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,334,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
This is really overblown. It's not as though it's a regular sight to see people getting snatched out of their cars at intersections by drug smugglers. These people who are getting kidnapped have some connection to the drug smugglers. Smugglers aren't interested in snatching Joe Schmo from the checkout line at Fry's. Unless you or your family has some history with cocaine pushers in Mexico, I highly doubt you have anything to worry about.
Being the #2 kidnap city in the world can't be overblown. Maybe the focus is on people involved with the drug trade, but there are still a lot of innocent people that get swept up in the mess. Sorry that it makes Phoenix look so bad, but being #2 is a dismal statistic by any standard.

The good news is that AZ is #50 for education funding. So it's not like we are at the top of the list all the time! Hmmm... I wonder if there is a connection...

Old 03-27-2009, 11:30 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,973,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZnative4Life View Post
Not this crap again there is already a post about this a couple posts down on the front page. You know what if you are concerned about a Mexican drug war against illegals and drug smugglers stay the hell out of Phoenix. Citizens like myself are armed to the tee here and are not afraid to defend ourselves.
Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dog and guns are ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area