Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 PM

947 posts, read 3,410,390 times

Advertisements

Hey there!

I am wondering if anyone knows of good running/walking trails and or parks in or around the Phx area.

But Hopefully someone (or many people) will know of areas specifically the East Valley, aj, mesa, tempe, chandler, gilbert

I am not looking for a casual walk in the park, I prefer running trail or can be pavement/concrete but I prefer at least some gravel/dirt option.

I don’t really want to drive far to get there.
I don’t walk it to be loaded with kids or… older people (sorry) that are not there to “workout!”

I want to start to get into a program for myself so I need to be where there may be serious minded individuals there as well!

Yeah, I have lived here for a while but hope to hear of some good suggestions from all and your experiences in different places.

Thank ya!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 11:59 PM

27 posts, read 157,390 times
Usery Pass on Ellsworth north of mcdowell rd (east Mesa). Its a nice hike up to the top of the mountain great view. There are a couple trails that aren't that bad at the end of meridian(east mesa). There trails all over east mesa towards brown rd, or mckellips.mostly roads that are next tonto national forest.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:19 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,703,682 times
The scenic hike in McDowell mountains is a place to avoid, too many people and kids. The hike is a small challenge. The joshua tree park in Fountain Hills is a good quiet hike, but not to hard. Camelback mountain i would say is the steepest and there are limits to kids due to the difficulty of the trail. Papago park is boring and flat.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:16 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Well, Papago Park is not exactly flat, you might go over there and explore. There is a trail that runs behind South Mountain --Desert Classic that I used to walk/hike on quite a bit. Nice variable terrain, not too crowded when I was there. It's 9 miles long, there is a large trailhead parking area off Desert Foothills Pkwy (see map link) or you can park around the other end of the trail, off 48th st (see map link)

http://phoenix.gov/parks/hiksogud.html

Old 03-11-2009, 05:38 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,059,702 times
What about the canals? Gilbert has been landscaping and paving some of the areas...even providing water fountains!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,477,975 times
Have you used the Bridle Path on Central?

Old 03-11-2009, 11:15 PM

947 posts, read 3,410,390 times
Thanks everyone!

Have you used the Bridle Path on Central?

No, I have not. Don't know where that is... in Downtown Phx? I'll research it!

What about the canals? Gilbert has been landscaping and paving some of the areas...even providing water fountains!

Canals meaning the SRP canals? Where do you start and is it safe? I see people running on the areas and crossing the streets in the middle of the street to continue on the other side. Do you made a loop or just travel back the same way?

Oh, I have been to Echo Canyon a while ago, is that part of CamelBack Mountains? It was a steep good hike but short in distance and it was very populated. Are there many hikes right around there?

Usery Pass seems nice. And probably less populated. Good for a scenic view too!?

I'll try these out soon! Always looking for new, different places to go exploring!

Do any of you run on these trails, or mostly for hiking? I really want to start to really run. Maybe trails are not that great for running though?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,059,702 times
Here is a map of the canals - you can even calculate running distances. In some areas of Gilbert, there are even special stoplights to stop the traffic for runners/bikers, etc.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 AM

42 posts, read 219,238 times
So are you saying to run on the sun circle riding trail when you say the canals in Gilbert?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:17 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
For running, (for which you might want something relatively flatter) the canals and the Central Ave bridle path are good. The bridle path is shorter than what you coudl potentially do on the canals. You can use the canals in the southeast Valley, or do the canal from 40th st just north of Camelback, and run along behind the Arizona Biltmore and head sort of diagonally northwest across Phoenix. You can go as far as you want, out and back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area