Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:36 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3anut View Post
I have found out they are above the law pay for high priced attorneys and insurance, they will spend homeowners money instead of figuring out the problem. The statues they are governed by are issued by the state and or county but then they are able to create whatever rules they want even though it may infringe on your civil liberties.
start a homeowners rights group go to meetings in numbers.
You misunderstand what the HOA can do. The board is obligated to follow the CC&R's. The "Rules" can only explain or clarify what is in the CC&R's.

The board members are volunteers that were elected by the homeowners. If one is not happy with the way the current board members are running the HOA, then they should volunteer their own time and go to the meetings to have input into the decisions; join the board or at least, joing a committee to help out.

The big problem is apathy on the part of the majority of home owners, who do not want to volunteer any of their own time; however, they complain about how the HOA is run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 05:56 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
May I offer a completely different perspective? I visited the Phoenix area, specifically the East Valley towns of Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, and Scottsdale, for the first time back in February. As a Michigan native, the first thing that I noticed and was impressed by was how beautifully maintained all of the subdivisions are. Even the upscale subdivisions here in Michigan don't have the lovely, landscaped common areas or the well-maintained grassy areas, not to mention community pools, playgrounds, clubhouses, etc. And yes, you can drive into a subdivision of $400,000+ homes here and quickly come across a home that sticks out like a sore thumb, either because the owner is apathetic and just doesn't care, has very extreme taste (purple doors, 3ft. high gargoyle statues in the front yard), or it is a bank owned property and the bank is basically letting it go to seed. So to me, as an AZ outsider, the idea of paying, say, $1,000 a year to have a beautiful neighborhood to come home to with green, manicured grassy areas, gorgeous landscaping, walking paths, and, above all, a community standard of home upkeep and appearance is a nonissue and I would gladly pay it. I'd just factor the expense into the house payment and adjust that accordingly. However, I have never walked a mile in the shoes of those of you who live there as they say, so time will tell, I guess. I do agree with the pp that many of the homes look basically identical in style, color, and lot size, but that just doesn't bother me either. In parts of the country like Michigan, it can be so hit or miss, with a 4,000 sf McMansion sitting next to a 1,000 sf dogpatch house, that the symmetry of the neighborhoods in AZ is kind of appealing to me.

Just an outsider's perspective.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:09 AM

426 posts, read 1,306,777 times
I used to be against Home Owner's Associations.

My parents were once looking at houses in Frisco, TX. They eventually stopped looking there due to the HOAs. My Dad grew up in a small town and always wanted to own another pickup truck. The part of town they wanted to live in did not allow pickup trucks to be parked over night in front of the house. All of the houses in that development had alleys and driveways in the back. This was around 15 years ago.

I've lived in my own house for the past five years in Grapevine, TX and was first apathetic about a HOA. A new neighbor moved in across the street three three years ago and quickly changed my opinion. They currently have a boat parked in their driveway. It sat uncovered for more than a year until about two weeks ago. I'm fairly certain the covenants in the deed to our house forbid that, but where do you start to enforce them?

That same neighbor had a t-boned totaled SUV parked in the street in front of their house for year until I called the city about it. They moved the SUV to their driveway and onto private property where the city could do little about it. As long the vehicle was able to start, the city was powerless.

Same neighbor cuts their grass maybe once a month during the summer. The city stops by and gives them warnings, but can't do much more than that since they immediately cut the grass after the visit.

This particular house isn't a run-down junker of a house. It is nearly 3,000 sq ft and the owner drives a pretty new BMW convertible.

Because of that neighbor, I'm looking forward to our next home being part of a HOA. I intend on being active in it and eventually plan to run for a leadership position once I have a good idea of the rules that govern it.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:32 PM

162 posts, read 543,227 times
yeah, some things about an HOA can be a pain, but in general, I like them. We have an HOA and driving around in our neighborhood, everything looks nice, No junker cars, no weeds, everything is picked up, no boarded windows, ect...

Outside of our neighborhood is a different story. SAME exact sized houses, probably built the same year; difference being, there isnt' an HOA. Cars parked right next to the front door, there are dogs chained in ppl's front yard that almost rip your leg off when passing, bunches of weeds and bushes growing up, almost covering windows, ect...

To some people that might not make a difference, but to us, it does, thus HOA are good IMHO.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:44 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbean View Post
yeah, some things about an HOA can be a pain, but in general, I like them. We have an HOA and driving around in our neighborhood, everything looks nice, No junker cars, no weeds, everything is picked up, no boarded windows, ect...

Outside of our neighborhood is a different story. SAME exact sized houses, probably built the same year; difference being, there isnt' an HOA. Cars parked right next to the front door, there are dogs chained in ppl's front yard that almost rip your leg off when passing, bunches of weeds and bushes growing up, almost covering windows, ect...

To some people that might not make a difference, but to us, it does, thus HOA are good IMHO.
Very valid and positive points, dbean.

Far too many people enjoy and benefit from an HOA yet they feel compelled to constantly criticize their existence.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:01 PM

219 posts, read 764,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Very valid and positive points, dbean.

Far too many people enjoy and benefit from an HOA yet they feel compelled to constantly criticize their existence.
I would concur. Some of better HOA's seem to be the one's where the Neighbors are very active in . Participation is the key.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7 View Post
I would concur. Some of better HOA's seem to be the one's where the Neighbors are very active in . Participation is the key.
Absolutely, Woody . . . good point.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:29 AM

3 posts, read 9,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
...Even the upscale subdivisions here in Michigan don't have the lovely, landscaped common areas or the well-maintained grassy areas, not to mention community pools, playgrounds, clubhouses, etc....
Absolutely correct. The HOA usually does a great job of maintaining common areas and are absolutely essential where these common areas exist. However the CC&R document itself effectively has the force of law and I disagree completely with giving corporations (developers) the right to legislate any arbitrary regulations they happen to believe will maintain or enhance the value of your property. For example, limiting antennas, whether you can use artificial grass, the colors you can paint your house should not be within their power to legislate.

Most people don't want to get involved, any more than they get involved in local politics or even community and church politics. They just want to enjoy their home without someone interfering and putting their hands out for money for silly projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area