Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:05 PM

31 posts, read 47,736 times

Advertisements

We'll be glad to have you, ak.nessa, and you'll be glad to know the only mold I ever encounter is on my cheese or my shower curtain. I'd see it less if I cleaned more, I'm sure.

I love the warm weather down here. Last summer when it was nearly twenty degrees over a hundred, my mother decided to take a weekend trip to see family in the L.A. area. She took me with her, and just in case, I took a hoodie. Three days in, I was so cold I hadn't taken the blasted thing off except to sleep and my cousin was discreetly inquiring if I need to use the washing machine. I've gotten so used to things always being hot that anything below eighty or a high seventy sends me under a blanket. It's a little pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 09:13 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,657,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak.nessa View Post
My husband and I finished college in Oregon and then realized there were NO JOBS. So we fled up to Alaska where the economy is strong. But surprise surprise we both don't like it here. We prefer hot, dry, sunny climates. Hope to be finding jobs in the Phoenix area soon!!!

Oregon summers are great, but rather humid and mold is a pain in the arse.

Yeah, mold is always a problem here. Leave something sitting out for a few weeks, even if it's under cover and it will be green when you get back to it. Car interiors, roofs, boats, trees, home siding, it doesn't much matter. You better get prettty good at cleaning the green off. Don't leave ANYTHING sitting for any period of time or you'll be sorry.
Yes it is a pain in the arse.................................

Old 11-29-2009, 08:27 PM

234 posts, read 720,432 times
I think I am going to save up some money to come see Phoenix (and Arizona) sometime this winter or early spring. I can't wait!

All this darkness, snow and ice in Alaska is making me antsy!

Old 11-30-2009, 06:00 PM

Nice sunny day, weather just cool enough for long sleeves... It's a beautiful place even in the summer. As long as you don't go outside.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:02 AM

How long is it actually 120 F degrees for during the summer?!

I have been in 100 F + degrees, maybe about 110 or 115 is the most I've ever been in, and I actually enjoyed it. I just hang out in my bikini, I actually prefer it to be at least 80 degrees because I love to go hiking in my bikini. Sounds strange but I suppose I feel claustrophobic in my clothes...who knows. I can't wait to find an opportunity to head down there. I hate going outside up here, it's either too cold (winter) or too many mosquitoes (summer). I need a job in Phoenix ASAP!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:35 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,564,953 times
I like that I will be moving out of it soon and back to the Midwest where I belong. Phoenix is bar none the worst place I've ever lived.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:45 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,302,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak.nessa View Post
How long is it actually 120 F degrees for during the summer?!

I have been in 100 F + degrees, maybe about 110 or 115 is the most I've ever been in, and I actually enjoyed it. I just hang out in my bikini, I actually prefer it to be at least 80 degrees because I love to go hiking in my bikini. Sounds strange but I suppose I feel claustrophobic in my clothes...who knows. I can't wait to find an opportunity to head down there. I hate going outside up here, it's either too cold (winter) or too many mosquitoes (summer). I need a job in Phoenix ASAP!
It rarely, if ever gets 120 degrees. One time it hit 122, but that was 19 years ago. Usually, the worst it ever gets is 118 or so, and it doesn't last for more than a week.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:10 AM

But sadly, we do usually stay above the hundreds for most of a month. I wouldn't recommend hiking in anything over a low ninety out here. Bikini's are fine, if you really want to hike in them and don't mind a really nasty sunburn, but if you're on a path with any kind of cover and low foot traffic, you better have thick boots. On the less-traveled trails, I find snakes like candy at Halloween and the rattlers aren't always old enough to have a rattle. Plus the scorpions, and Gila monsters. Those danged lizards get as big as my cat!

When you come down, check out a book called "Sixty Hikes in Sixty Miles." It's got every hike in the urban area. I'm partial to the Piel Charles Memorial. If you don't want to get the book, check out Trails.com-they let you read it there if you get a membership, though you don't have to to get the trail details.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:17 AM

Rattle snakes are not a problem, I used to see one or two nearly every day when I was living in the high desert in Oregon. Scorpions were never a problem either, I rarely saw them, not sure if they are more common in Arizona though? But that's why I stay on the trail when I'm hiking! And always look where I'm stepping! I have never seen a Gila monster. Sun burn? Me? I prefer hiking when it's hot, I go through lots of water though! I suppose if it's over 100 degrees I'll take it easy and keep it under 2 or 3 miles...

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that out. I'd love to go on a couple hikes while I'm visiting!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:57 PM

112 posts, read 283,018 times
its a very clean city and cheap too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area