Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:31 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post

Does this mean I have to rent a reception hall for thousands of dollars just to have a little beer there? I am just sad at the moment, but I suppose I will get over it and find a new place..
No, you just need to go somewhere religious nuts don't impose their beliefs on everyone else through blue laws. Be sure to not spend a dime in Gilbert on anything else for your event.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:38 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Well, you could always use the old spiked punch in paper cups! That worked when we were kids! lol They would never know! lol

Old 05-14-2009, 10:18 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
It is a celebration of about 50 people (maximum) in a big park and we would only be around the one ramada we reserve (there are many ramadas spread out) Plus, not everyone drinks, and I would hope no one would make a jackass of themselves to the rest of the public, but you never know. I do see your point and why Gilbert is so strict and doesn't allow it, but it is still disappointing.

Does this mean I have to rent a reception hall for thousands of dollars just to have a little beer there? I am just sad at the moment, but I suppose I will get over it and find a new place..
I understand the disappointment. I'll bet there are places that won't cost you thousands.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:51 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
If it wasn't for beer, then I would have never gotten married...

Old 05-14-2009, 11:10 PM

145 posts, read 645,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I didn't know that. That is ridiculous. I completelly empathize. I think the Mormon influence is more prevalent there than I thought. Recently, I went to the movies in Gilbert and they had both caffeine free Coke and Diet Coke. This is the first movie theatre I had been to in the valley that sold it. I can understand having a general rule to ban alcohol but they should allow permits for special events. To be fair, this evidence flies in the face of the naysayers who claim the Mormon influence in Gilbert is overblown.

Sounds like Democracy is working and is representing the community as the voters see fit, if you ask me.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:26 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
I live in Gilbert, I love Gilbert, but they just ruined my day

I found the perfect place for a small wedding and reception. Discovery Park, right down the street from my house. They have big ramadas to reserve for a very decent price, beautiful green grass with a lake, ducks and fish everywhere, just gorgeous. However, it turns out Gilbert is a dry town..

There is absolutely no alchohol allowed. I thought you could get permits, but it turns out Gilbert will not allow it. What is a wedding celebration without some beer? The perfect place isn't so perfect anymore..
Oh that's a bummer, that's a beautiful park I love walking my dogs there.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
I hate Gilbert and would never live there.
Good!

Old 05-14-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
No, you just need to go somewhere religious nuts don't impose their beliefs on everyone else through blue laws. Be sure to not spend a dime in Gilbert on anything else for your event.
The more I think about it I don't think you should be able to drink in a public park and I'm not even Mormon and beleive me I like my drink. I agree don't come to Gilbert and spend any money. That sounds good. The Phoenix area has several other towns to crap in.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:35 AM

410 posts, read 1,293,429 times
Ok... at first I thought it was crap that she wasn't allowed to get a liquor permit.. but then again.. now that I think about it more, I'm glad our town has that rule, it means that I know I can enjoy the park too without worrying about people that may get too wild and out of control while we're trying to have fun with our family. It reminds of me of going to a football game and you happen to end up in an area where there are a ton of people drinking.. sorry it's just not fun for us. They tend to get loud, act stupid, swear and make a fool of themselves..(and yes I understand that there are people that can drink responsibly, but those are usually the exception and not the rule) so while I think it's unfortunate that the OP has to find a different venue (and I can imagine how frustrating that is!), I can understand why they put the policy in place.

I'm still proud to be a Gilbert resident. :-) And I promise I'll spend enough to make up for those who decide not to spend in Gilbert anymore. LOL!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:03 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
azcater-- Well, I'm happy you're happy. I do VEHEMENTLY disagree with you that those who drink responsibly are the exception and not the rule. A football game and a small wedding celebration at a public park are hardly comparable.

I've been to MANY public parks around the Valley and seen parties of the size the OP proposes where there was beer on the table, so obviously being served, and no disturbance to other families, events, etc.

But, Gilbert is the ONLY city in the Phoenix metro area with such a code provision. I do not believe anyone involved in putting this provision into law is a "religious nut" but it is fairly obvious that there IS a religious influence on this portion of the code... from those who proposed it and those who voted for it, whether council vote or citywide vote.

A wedding and reception, with beer, could be held in Pioneer Park, right across from the Arizona Temple, with a permit issued by the City of Mesa.

I don't think the Gilbert leaders thought there would be a lot of wild parties (are you saying that no other city suburb, including MESA, didn't take the possibility of wild parties under consideration?) ---- I just think they wanted it out altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area