Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:04 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I don't think the poster hates Gilbert, he/she hates the fact that they can't drink in a public park, which they would find is true in a majority of municipalities if they would do some checking. Also, you can't drink in places like the public beaches in San Diego, that doesn't make them Mormon controlled.

I live in nearby Chandler, but know A LOT of people that live in Gilbert (like 30 households that are friend or acquaintances, etc.) and none of them are mormon. It's just a solid upper middle class city that is primarily families with large houses, and somewhat conservative in nature. I would imagine that there is a higher percentage of mormons in Mesa and Queen Creek than Gilbert, but Gilbert certainly has it's share. The fact that a mormon temple is going to be built just inflates the opinion that Gilbert is "all mormon", when in fact it is still a relatively small percentage. By the way, mormon temples have shown statistically to drastically improve property values for the area when they are built. So if you are unsure about Gilbert, buy before the temple is built, and if you don't like it, sell it to a mormon for a nice profit a few years later.

By the way, mormons are not bad neighbors to have. It's not like they are out commiting crimes and throwing loud parties at all hours. And no, I am the furthest thing from a mormon. The fact that I spent 12K to build a wet bar in my basement should be enough to tell you I like to party.
I'm fine with a a Mormon temple being raised in Gilbert. I enjoy diversity including diversity of religion. However, ask yourself this, if a Hindu temple wanted to go up in Gilbert, do you think it could go up without resistance? I think most people know the answer to that question and that's the issue many have with Gilbert. Gilbert goes beyond just being a little city with a minority of Mormons who mind their own business. They influence and control the politics in the city. Although Mormons make up a slight minority of the population in Gilbert, they are also in positions of power on their city council and have enough power to influence public policy. They are not just a religious minority group that gets stereotyped. There is truth to the stereotype that Mormons control Gilbert because they do.

Gilbert like any town has its pros and cons. I think most non-Mormons deal with the religious conservatism because the good outweighs the bad. Gilbert has great schools, low crime and great shopping and dining opportunities. That being said, there is clearly a subjugation of other faiths and it is very much a Mormon town. I live in Chandler and would never live in Gilbert because of the relgious extremism there. However, I live close enough to Gilbert that I can still enjoy their shopping and dining aspects.

When it comes to characterizing Gilbert, there are extreme views on both sides. One side is in denial of the Mormon influence and act as if everyone is just exaggerating their influence. The other extreme involves characterizing Glibert as this Mormon gestapo state and that isn't true either. Like with anything, the truth is in the middle. It's unfortunate, because you rarely see the middle view captured in these debates.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 10-19-2009 at 11:21 AM..

Old 11-15-2009, 01:44 PM

18 posts, read 67,838 times
Bravo to azriverfan! "Like with anything, the truth is in the middle. It's unfortunate, because you rarely see the middle view captured in these debates." That is so correct. I would live in Gilbert if it weren't for the religious influence there ... and I am a religious person. However, to characterize these people as evil is going way too far. If I lived in Gilbert, I would simply make my preferences known at the ballot box.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:45 PM

286 posts, read 678,236 times
Upon reading the post complaining about "a dry town,"my thoughts trickled back to younger days and the many times,that I stepped into a carload of college frat brothers or fellow football fools......all of them proudly intoxicated and me RISKING MY LIFE and THE LIVES OF FAMILIES....coming home from GRANDPA'S HOUSE.
I DO NOT TOUCH ALCOHOL.....NOW.....NOT A DROP OF IT.
I HAVE SEEN WHAT IT CAN DO TO PEOPLE.....DEATH MOSTLY.
I AM AN ARIZONA MAN<STUCK IN ANOTHER DARK,RAINY DAY IN PITTSBURGH.
I WOULD LOVE TO BE BACK IN ARIZONA TODAY,ENJOYING THE ENDLESS BLUE SKIES!
YOU DO NOT NEED BOOZE TO GET INTO A BETTER MOOD IN ARIZONA...JUST OPEN THE DOOR AND step outside..liquid sunshine.
I COULD FRIGHTEN YOU BY DETAILING the many auto crashes that I have been in while drinking..back in pittsburgh...but you know the drill.
Thank GOD that you are alive,healthy and sober.....enjoy the next ten sunny days in THE VALLEY OF THE SUN. I SHALL BE BACK BY THEN....STAY SOBER and HAPPY!

Old 04-17-2010, 05:52 AM

3 posts, read 3,820 times
to: MAXPOWER123, why do you hate gilbert? i am thinking of moving there from near kingman, az.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:17 AM

186 posts, read 570,302 times
Good for Gilbert

Old 04-17-2010, 10:06 AM

648 posts, read 1,174,899 times
Really.....?? THAT'S what makes you disappointed in an entire town, enough to start a post about it....?
Geez,, let them keep their quality of life the way it is! At least one town here & there should have the ability to control things like this within their borders. I say, good for them... since the majority of people can't seem to handle drinking and then there's the issue of drinking & driving. Plus.. it's a PARK. If you don't like their rules, you can always go to 99.9% of the rest of the country/world, and everyone can booze it up to their heart's content..... right? Just askin'....

America has pretty much become a free-for-all boozefest- and it has NOT done any favors for our society. I wish more towns would have the guts to do this, and actually enforce it. Call it the 'Nanny State', or whatever you want.... if adults didn't act like uncontrollable children when left to their own devices,, they wouldn't need 'nannies'....!

Old 04-17-2010, 07:54 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,821 times
Good golly! I remember not too many years ago Money Magazine trumpeted Gilbert for its fastest growing city in the U.S.

It seems as though it would be the most boring city in the U.S., if not for the ability for heathens to travel to Tempe to get a good brew. I'm a proud heathen!

Old 04-17-2010, 08:01 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,821 times
Golly! I'm covering my ears!

Most people are in control of their drinking. I drink mostly at home. I don't drink and drive. If I am out at a restaurant and have alcohol, it's only one 4 oz glass. Because I am well aware of the responsibility. Plus I know several people who are alcoholics and they are scary. I refuse to party with them.

In small amounts alcohol is good. The French paradox - red wine is good for the heart. Because of my drinking red wine (I drink that more than beer) my blood pressure has fallen to the normal range. My family has a history of hypertension. I was close to the point of having a stroke a couple of years ago but added daily wine and my blood tests show a remarkable recovery in my readings.

I don't drink to change my mood. I drink for the taste of beer or wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddesertfox View Post
Upon reading the post complaining about "a dry town,"my thoughts trickled back to younger days and the many times,that I stepped into a carload of college frat brothers or fellow football fools......all of them proudly intoxicated and me RISKING MY LIFE and THE LIVES OF FAMILIES....coming home from GRANDPA'S HOUSE.
I DO NOT TOUCH ALCOHOL.....NOW.....NOT A DROP OF IT.
I HAVE SEEN WHAT IT CAN DO TO PEOPLE.....DEATH MOSTLY.
I AM AN ARIZONA MAN<STUCK IN ANOTHER DARK,RAINY DAY IN PITTSBURGH.
I WOULD LOVE TO BE BACK IN ARIZONA TODAY,ENJOYING THE ENDLESS BLUE SKIES!
YOU DO NOT NEED BOOZE TO GET INTO A BETTER MOOD IN ARIZONA...JUST OPEN THE DOOR AND step outside..liquid sunshine.
I COULD FRIGHTEN YOU BY DETAILING the many auto crashes that I have been in while drinking..back in pittsburgh...but you know the drill.
Thank GOD that you are alive,healthy and sober.....enjoy the next ten sunny days in THE VALLEY OF THE SUN. I SHALL BE BACK BY THEN....STAY SOBER and HAPPY!

Old 04-17-2010, 08:36 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,295,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
Really.....?? THAT'S what makes you disappointed in an entire town, enough to start a post about it....!
If you would bother reading previous posts you would realize you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old posts being resurrected? This is old news. Is there really nothing better to talk about?

Old 04-17-2010, 09:06 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
I hate Gilbert and would never live there.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area