Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 06:39 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,023,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Just stay in the Chicago area so you remain happy

Us 'desert rats' will continue to bask out here like contented lizards.
Very true, I moved here late last Summer, my neighbors (4 of them) moved here in the fall, and 6 of my new friends moved here in April and we are growing very accustomed to the heat. We were swimming yesterday and complaining that the water was too cold at 74 degrees, LOL and it was 101 degrees outside!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:33 PM

92 posts, read 311,256 times
Default More weather nonsense

Here in southern Indiana, the weather has been atrocious this week. We've had two solid days of chaotic thunder storms and funnel clouds, compounded today with quater-size hail and flash flooding. The main street - main street mind you! - of dowtown Bloomington today was engulfed in a flash flood with numerous cars stalled in the road...people were eventually kayaking down Kirkwood (for those of you who may be familiar with B-Town). Does this happen in Phoenix with the flash flooding there? I'm teaching summer school and the power went out today and yesterday, in addition to having tornado drills today and yesterday because the sky turned green, the sirens sounded, and roofs were blowing off left and right.

As for temps, tomorrow's forecast calls for a high of 92 degrees with 55% humidity. I don't know how that compares to Phoenix. I don't complain about it because I don't spend any time outside. What are people doing in Phoenix that would want to make them outside all of the time? I guess I'm glad I'm not athletic or into golfing, hiking, jogging, etc. because I don't do that here nor will I do it when I move to Phoenix. I enjoy a nice gym with A/C and a TV.

"creature comforts" I guess...

Old 06-05-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogetsthesaurus View Post
Here in southern Indiana, the weather has been atrocious this week. We've had two solid days of chaotic thunder storms and funnel clouds, compounded today with quater-size hail and flash flooding. The main street - main street mind you! - of dowtown Bloomington today was engulfed in a flash flood with numerous cars stalled in the road...people were eventually kayaking down Kirkwood (for those of you who may be familiar with B-Town). Does this happen in Phoenix with the flash flooding there? I'm teaching summer school and the power went out today and yesterday, in addition to having tornado drills today and yesterday because the sky turned green, the sirens sounded, and roofs were blowing off left and right.

As for temps, tomorrow's forecast calls for a high of 92 degrees with 55% humidity. I don't know how that compares to Phoenix. I don't complain about it because I don't spend any time outside. What are people doing in Phoenix that would want to make them outside all of the time? I guess I'm glad I'm not athletic or into golfing, hiking, jogging, etc. because I don't do that here nor will I do it when I move to Phoenix. I enjoy a nice gym with A/C and a TV.

"creature comforts" I guess...

LOL, yes, people stall in flooded streets all the time. We have a law in Phoenix, NO KIDDING, its called the "Stupid Motorist" or "Dumb Motorist" law? Am I right, for those that have been here a while? Any how, if you are caught in a flooded road way and need to be rescued, then you will be fined the cost of that service because it happens way too much here and EVERYONE knows or should know not enter a street that is flooded.

Now, this doesn't happen in downtown Phoenix, but it does happen in established neighborhoods and places with lots of traffic. 92 degrees and anthing over 40% humidity is pretty non-existent in Phoenix...34% is a very high reading in PHX with a 90+ degree temp. reading. And yes, when its in the low to mid 90's in Phoenix, many people still do outdoor activities because 90's in Phoenix in the summer, is like 70-80 degrees to someone in the North East. Yesterday after swimming, friends and I went hiking to the top of Piestewa Peak (Squaw Peak) in the evening, when we got out of the car it was 92 degrees around 6:15. When we left it was in the low 80's. There were also so many people hiking the trails with us and before us...as well as after we finished climbing.

Tonights low in Phoenix will be 71 degrees, tomorrows high will be 92 degrees and with 5-10% humidity.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:54 AM

Ok, yes...it's the "stupid motorist law." LOL, that is the most condesending name but I guess it's all in an effort to educate the public. I just find this halarious but necessary.

Arizona Stupid Motorist Law: Don’t Pay to Get Stuck in the Mud

Old 07-03-2008, 07:08 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,414,694 times
Smile Arizona stupid motorist law

That was a very good law. Arizona still has been rated as having some of the best drivers in the country.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:28 PM

812 posts, read 2,308,267 times
Wow, just stumbled across this forum and I am actually speechless!

Old 07-04-2008, 01:11 AM

65 posts, read 161,773 times
Great topick.. Could't resist to put my 2 cents

What I hate most for my 6 weeks here, since I moved from California

1. I hate caring my sidearm (yes gun!!!) everyday.
2. I hate that my Concealed Carry Permit issued in just 7 days
3. I hate that my new jobs pays as much as my ex-job in CA with less stress
4. I hate drive just 15 miles for outdoor target shooting instead of 70 in CA
5. I hate loosing 5 pounds for 6 weeks.
7. I hate seeing kinds in my neighborhood saying "Hi" to me.
8. Ohhh yea!!! I hate to be able to buy house and pay-off mortgage in 5 years.

Seriously... I love Phoenix!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:17 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,782,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegk View Post
Great topick.. Could't resist to put my 2 cents

What I hate most for my 6 weeks here, since I moved from California

1. I hate caring my sidearm (yes gun!!!) everyday.
2. I hate that my Concealed Carry Permit issued in just 7 days
3. I hate that my new jobs pays as much as my ex-job in CA with less stress
4. I hate drive just 15 miles for outdoor target shooting instead of 70 in CA
5. I hate loosing 5 pounds for 6 weeks.
7. I hate seeing kinds in my neighborhood saying "Hi" to me.
8. Ohhh yea!!! I hate to be able to buy house and pay-off mortgage in 5 years.

Seriously... I love Phoenix!!!
you forgot to hate the cheaper gas prices too

Old 07-06-2008, 10:43 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,455,614 times
Well, it is very hot here and if a person cannot adjust, they are going to be in big trouble. I do well with the heat, but I know other people who would not. I've been here awhile and there are some major drawbacks to living here. I think others in this thread have alluded to them.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 4,102 times
Thanks for the great news. I had heard that the difference in So Cal pay and PHX is only slightly less if not the same. So far the offers that I have been getting confirms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area