Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 12:11 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,286,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
But my problem is with guns being allowed to be carried everywhere. No reason. Having guns in your homes to protect your family and belongings is one thing, but carrying concealed weapon is a different animal.
I disagree. My wife carries a concealed weapon as do I (as previously mentioned). We do not feel threatened in any way but, do recognize that there may come a time when so nut case may put us in a position of needing to defend ourselves or others - that is simply reality in todays world.

We also travel a lot - spend a lot of time in rural areas / conditions. Our firearms not only can protect us from two legged varmints, but also the four legged kind as well.

Carrying a concealed weapon is not at all uncommon here in the Southwest. There are those who are carrying concealed in stores, parks, riding their bicycles and motorcycles etc.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:24 PM

65 posts, read 161,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Is it that you don't feel safe in Phoenix? I am just wondering why one would need a weapon around here? Or is it just like a cool thing to do? I really don't get it.
I knew two kids who accidentally shot and killed themselves with homeowners guns when I grew up but I have never known a person who protected themselves by shooting someone out here without doing time in jail afterwards, unless they were a cop or in the military.

My point is you really can't use it anyway, so I wonder what the point is?
I can see hunting, but shopping with one seems silly.
Do you have home insurance? Do you feel NOT safe in your house?
Of course you have insurance, and feel safe in your house. People choose to have insurance "just for case"
I don't know anyone who used the home insurance, but everyone has it.
By having insurance you protecting your property investment. What is wrong with protecting your life?

Yes, if you shoot someone for self protection it is major issue and you will be subject of police investigation. If your justification is questionable your case going into court of law. In many cases though District Attorney decides not to press charges.

I prefer to be jugged by 12 than carried by 6.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:53 PM

http://www.gunlaws.com/pdf/AZ%20New%20Bills%202006.pdf

Arizona CCW statistics:
http://www.azdps.gov/ccw/Stats.htm

Old 07-08-2008, 01:17 PM

[quote=tolovefromANFIELD;4374731]
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegk View Post

You never responded to my question. Where do you live? Why do you need to carry a gun, hidden for that matter? What are you afraid of? Because of your "freedom" many guns end up where they are not needed?

Cities like Chicago, DC, NYC, Phoenix and countless others are suffering from gun related violence in part because it is so easy to get a gun. Yet millions of people who live in those cities and hear and see gun violence never think twice about owning a gun.Ironic isn't it. People who should actually carry a gun to protect themselves every day never do, yet people who have no need for protection are the ones who are the most vocal about having a gun. Silly isn't it.

“What are you afraid of?”
Did I say something about “afraid” ever?

“Because of your "freedom" many guns end up where they are not needed?”

This is not “my freedom” This is USA freedom. Declared in the Second Amendment of our Constitution, just confirmed by Supreme Court to be INDIVIDUAL right.

Chicago, DC, NYC has strictest gun law in the country. No CCW issued there. Still high crime cities. If you live there you should know. You never lived in those cities, Phoenix famous for petty crimes (burglaries, etc..) It has nothing to do with firearms.

"People who should actually carry a gun to protect themselves every day never do"
Yes they don't have CCW issued in those cities for law abiding citizens. Criminals always carry firearms.

P.S.
Very weak argumentation... Sorry.. Do more study on the subject.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,072,223 times
Wow, 3 replies in a row......you must be a bright one, no doubt.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:22 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,147,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Wow, 3 replies in a row......you must be a bright one, no doubt.
And misquoting himself too!

Old 07-08-2008, 10:01 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,158,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegk View Post
Do you have home insurance? Do you feel NOT safe in your house?
Of course you have insurance, and feel safe in your house. People choose to have insurance "just for case"
I don't know anyone who used the home insurance, but everyone has it.
By having insurance you protecting your property investment. What is wrong with protecting your life?

Yes, if you shoot someone for self protection it is major issue and you will be subject of police investigation. If your justification is questionable your case going into court of law. In many cases though District Attorney decides not to press charges.

I prefer to be jugged by 12 than carried by 6.
Damn straight!

Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,086,806 times
I'm getting the picture now. I would be afraid to have a gun on me with my kids and all but maybe when they grow up and move out. I've seen kids die from getting a gun so I would wait but it is an interesting point. If I traveled in the wilderness as well I would want a gun for sure. It must be a pain in the butt to travel with a gun after 911 though. lol I can't even travel with my nail clippers. he he he

I alway see people with a gun and think the worst for some reason. Like they might go off the deep end and start shooting everyone. ha ha I guess I watch too many movies. Do you get judged a lot for the gun? I imagine you would. All of my friends and I usually freak out when we see some shopper with a weapon. We usually leave the store. ha ha I'll try to calm down from now on. Thanks

Old 07-10-2008, 08:10 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,456,071 times
Well, this is really all relative. While I support the 2nd amendment, it really creeps me out that people can walk around in broad daylight with a gun. I do not fault cities where gun control is stringent. If fact, I think their crime rates are lower.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:09 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,147,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I'm getting the picture now. I would be afraid to have a gun on me with my kids and all but maybe when they grow up and move out. I've seen kids die from getting a gun so I would wait but it is an interesting point. If I traveled in the wilderness as well I would want a gun for sure. It must be a pain in the butt to travel with a gun after 911 though. lol I can't even travel with my nail clippers. he he he

I alway see people with a gun and think the worst for some reason. Like they might go off the deep end and start shooting everyone. ha ha I guess I watch too many movies. Do you get judged a lot for the gun? I imagine you would. All of my friends and I usually freak out when we see some shopper with a weapon. We usually leave the store. ha ha I'll try to calm down from now on. Thanks
How do you travel with a gun? You drive. Wanna come camping with me, out in the boonies? You might survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area