Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:35 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,092,923 times

Advertisements

First of all, you all are lyin! <joke<
Second of all, most of your post were before it was even hot, 105 is nothing, now today we are getting somewhere! It's been a cool summer for us but.....monsoon is coming and so is a little real heat......
Wait until tomorrow, go hiking mid-day, golfing, etc. Then post on here tomorrow night "truthfully"!
YOU STUDS!
At 108 with 40% humidity it will feel like 130!
At 110 with 40% humidity it will feel like 136!
Tomorrow it's suppose to be 112 or more with 30% humidity and 55 dew. Ya Baby, Feel the Burn!

Thank the sun god we don't get 40% humidity that often but we are at about 20% today and 111 degrees.
Now, lets see you heat lovers get some real exercise out there, and can we please see a video with a therm. behind you. Wink, wink! I'd love to see some heat lovers showing off their heat tolerance on here.
Enjoy the "AZ winta"!

And no, I don't think winter in New England is any easier, I just think that it's all relative baby! If it's winter in MN your miserable, if it's summer in AZ your miserable, if it's hurricane season in FL your miserable, if it's tornado season in OK your miserable, if it's earthquake time in Cali your miserable...........or............it doesn't matter and your happy everywhere. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:45 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,948,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden039 View Post
If you’re planning to move here be prepared to be nuked. In July the golf courses are empty and the swimming pools don't have anyone in them. Trying going to the lake and you will be alone. The only thing to do here in July in sit in an air condition place like the movies, mall, store, or home and watch TV. Forget about outdoor stuff unless you’re like to play with a sun stroke. If you just have to move here visit in the summer then make your move in the other seasons so the shock isn't so great.
lol you moved to yuma it sounds like

Old 07-10-2009, 07:50 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,948,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Sounds exactly like 6 months of crap winter weather back east. The golf courses are closed, swimming pools are drained for winter, and the lake is frozen. Forget about outdoor stuff unless you are wearing a snowmobile suit and you like to flirt with frostbite. Seeing the sun is like seeing a friend you haven't seen for weeks. There's nothing to do but sit inside like at the movies, mall, store, or home and watch TV. How about trying to drive on ice and snow, shoveling, and all the other things that people claim to love so much about the misery of winter. You can't go outside for five minutes in winter, without putting on layer after layer of clothing.

Our worst in Phoenix, can't touch the worst that winter dishes out in northern climates. You don't have to shovel the occasional rains, or the ample sunshine. In fact, summer in the desert doesn't require you to do anything major, just so that you can live in it. In a northern winter, you must clear snow from your driveway just to get to the street. You must scrape the windows of your car if you leave it outside. You must wear gloves, boots, hats, and heavy coats, or you risk getting ill or getting frostbite. Think electric bills are bad? Try heating a large house all winter. Half the winter sports that people do are just thinly-masked drinking events anyway (ice fishing and snowmobiling are the first that come to mind) which is probably why they are tolerable. Anything is fun if you pour enough whiskey on it. Skiing is enjoyable, but again, requires tons of forethought, wardrobe planning, and equipment, to be comfortable and able to do it. And it's only "good" in a few places.

Give me a hot summer over a cold, snowy winter any day. At least you can enjoy the mornings and the late evenings outside without making a production out of it.
yeah but i lived up north and i will tell you -you can always get warm, use a wood stove wrap up wear layers, but here you cant get cold enough. yea you could sit in front of a a/c and do nothing but who wants to do that? even in cold climates you can still get outside. maybe not the artic. i used less electricity up north than i do here. i never saw electric bills this high. but its all what one likes i suppose. the only thing i dont miss is black ice

Old 07-10-2009, 09:01 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,283,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Second of all, most of your post were before it was even hot, 105 is nothing, now today we are getting somewhere! It's been a cool summer for us but.....monsoon is coming and so is a little real heat......
Wait until tomorrow, go hiking mid-day, golfing, etc. Then post on here tomorrow night "truthfully"!
YOU STUDS!
Tomorrow it's suppose to be 112 or more with 30% humidity and 55 dew. Ya Baby, Feel the Burn!

Thank the sun god we don't get 40% humidity that often but we are at about 20% today and 111 degrees.
Now, lets see you heat lovers get some real exercise out there, and can we please see a video with a therm. behind you. Wink, wink! I'd love to see some heat lovers showing off their heat tolerance on here.
Enjoy the "AZ winta"!

And no, I don't think winter in New England is any easier, I just think that it's all relative baby! If it's winter in MN your miserable, if it's summer in AZ your miserable, if it's hurricane season in FL your miserable, if it's tornado season in OK your miserable, if it's earthquake time in Cali your miserable...........or............it doesn't matter and your happy everywhere. LOL
That is why I love Las Vegas's weather so much better.
The humidity is WAY lower. We do not get that monsoon crap either in which I absolutely despise. For instance, per this website....

Phoenix, Arizona (85001) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Phoenix got to 112 degrees today with 19% humidity, compared to Vegas which got to 106 degrees with 5% humidity. That is a big difference so I can understand the OP's concerns. I just got off the phone with one of my friends who lives in Phoenix, and he told me it was absolutely miserable today.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,180,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
YOU STUDS!

Enjoy the "AZ winta"!

I just got back from a 2 mile walk; the weather I would not term as being hot, just very warm----------and, I look like I should enjoy that cold, icy crap back east since I rather resemble a Swede.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,180,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
yeah but i lived up north and i will tell you -you can always get warm, use a wood stove wrap up wear layers, but here you cant get cold enough. yea you could sit in front of a a/c and do nothing but who wants to do that? even in cold climates you can still get outside. maybe not the artic. i used less electricity up north than i do here. i never saw electric bills this high. but its all what one likes i suppose. the only thing i dont miss is black ice
Frankly; I resent having to bundle up in heavy clothing in the winter back east-----------hell, even here in the Phx area I frequently wear three layers of clothing early in the morning in January. I am that sensitive to cold

PS: the only place that I want to see ice is in a glass keeping my drink cold

Old 07-10-2009, 09:18 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,283,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I just got back from a 2 mile walk; the weather I would not term as being hot, just very warm----------and, I look like I should enjoy that cold, icy crap back east since I rather resemble a Swede.
Hello Bear,

I am curious, are you a native to Phoenix? I ask because I am, and 112 degrees with 19% is killer IMO. I can take it, but to me it is still very hot, not warm.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:06 PM

963 posts, read 2,304,649 times
Default Make my room . . . refrigerated . . .

http://abqstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/phoenix-summer-1.jpg (broken link)

The summer here so far has been comparatively mild. I find it quite easy to go hiking in the morning or evening so far. This is my second summer here and I find it much more bearable than the first . . . so far. But then again, this is Phoenix! We have newfangled inventions like 'refrigerated rooms' and color tv here. . . no wonder there is not a soul on the street . . .

Old 07-10-2009, 11:20 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,112,877 times
Sheesh.

I don't care how many layers I wore....it's fricken cold in Michigan.

Spit on a fence; watch it freeze immediately.

Go out to eat; better check yer face. The snot may have frozen to yer cheeks.

Don't get me wrong, lots of fun in the snow & cold fer sure...

But a heckuva lot more fun in the sunshine, heat, desert, etc.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:23 AM

39 posts, read 111,275 times
I have too say that even though this is our first summer here, we LOVE it. We are originaly from Pennsylvania, and moved to Minnesota last Feb and only stayed untill Nov, when the stars finally aligned and we were able to move here.

Yes it gets hot, but without the very high Humidity this is really nothing. We all do things outside, and I golf even more right now because the rates are so low. I go out during the hot time of the day and get great deals, so I get to go more times per week. I do yard work, clean the pool, work in the garage(has no air) and we will ride bikes or walk. We just make sure that we drink plenty of water.I just turned 40 and we just love it here.

I was a firefighter for 5 years before moving, let me tell you that figting a summer fire in 90 degrees with 90% humidity was down right sickening. All the gear and the mask would pool up with water, had to take 15 min max shifts and rotate. And in the winter time was just as bad because you would sweat then freeze and not to mention the water would freeze and your beard, mustache, eyebrows all would freeze. That was extreme. This here is nothing.

We both work in the medical field and yes next year when the hiring freeze is over I will be applying to become a firefighter here(its in my blood).

Let me just say that we will be a part of arizona for the rest of our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area