Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 02:26 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,322,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy2 View Post
I disagree with the post written by the physician. Although I have great respect for what he does, I don't understand why his profession hasn't caused him to be adamently against illegals due to the strain placed on our medical system. I'm an RN and work primarily ER and yes, I do have compassion but I further witness the issues in which the illegals take advantage of what the USA has to offer. I observe the illegal female coming in with no prenatal care to drop an anchor baby, the day worker who has been drinking after work and now has been hit by a car because he was so intoxicated that he walked in front of it..... I also see how evasive they are when being asked questions by the registration clerks......they all appear to have multiple different last names. I have further observed Americans who have disabled children who are told they don't qualify for any services yet I see illegals all the time qualifying for all types of services......It's not fair! There was another comment from a poster who stated they would seek medical attention frequently if they could obtain medical services for free....I've seen many a case in which a patient with a major medical problem was not able to obtain appropriate follow-up care because they did not qualify for assistance and were told they were the wrong "color". Now tell me that isn't reverse racism. This country has it's values mixed up! Maybe it is cooperate greed; whatever the case, something needs to change.
As an RN working in an ER in Phoenix, I'm sure you deal with a lot of problematic patients that are not Illegals. I bet most of the time, you are dealing with a lot of drug seekers ie the sickle cell patient who comes in every 3 weeks with sickle cell crisis that claims only Dilaudid works on him or how about the clever young female who claims she is having a kidney stone and memorized all the classic signs and is on record for going to 5 different ER's in the valley and says she is allergic to toradol and that "morphine doesn't work well on her" and wants Dilaudid or the young patient without insurance who wants to be seen because he thinks he has H1N1 cuz he had a fever a week ago. And I'm sure this one is your personal favorite, but what about the Mercy Care patient who comes in with an I-phone, a Kate Spade purse, well manicured nails and a husband sporting a Tag Heur watch...oh yeah and they drive a BMW but are somehow on Mercy Care! I get frustrated by a lot of things in the hospital and illegals are only part of the problem as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 06:07 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,173,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
"Obviously" illegals. Here we go again. Sometimes this place sounds like the comments on azcentral.

But, no matter WHO they were, security and the police should have been called immediately once they were told to leave and did not. Why the staff let it go on for more than an HOUR, particularly with the described behavior, is beyond me.
'Political Correctness' AKA being afraid of being accused of racism. Tucson in particular seems to hold regular Americans in contempt.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:39 AM

223 posts, read 597,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think disdain for immigrants is party fueled by racism. I'm opposed to illegal immigration and vote for all measures that curb their activity. At the same time, I don't hate immigrants. I don't view them as criminals. If I was in their situation, i would do the same thing and so would all of you. In my experience, they are extremely hardworking and honest people. ....
I agree.

I came to the US legally, with an H1B, many years ago - which was relatively easy because I had a degree in computer science and experience in software. However, I do not resent others coming here illegally. These people are earning sub-minimum wage, and run the risk of arrest/deportation at any moment, and can never go home to visit family. If you think living a life in that condition is fun, you have a strange idea of fun. If the 'illegals' come here and get involved in drugs, or violence, then that is another matter but in my experience - 25+ years - they are hard working and do the jobs that no locals would do. Yes, the current economy is making the situation more difficult; lets focus on getting the economy back in shape so that no one will care about the illegals doing the jobs no one wants ...

Old 12-20-2009, 03:27 PM

24 posts, read 44,494 times
I am relatively new to the area from the South and have seen the same problems there although on a smaller scale ( much smaller ) and I can see things from an outside perspective. Back in Alabama the racism is truly amazing , this holds true of course mostly for the smaller communitues and the ignorant , and sometimes not so ignorant or even well educated. Anyway , Alabama is one of many areas that will not welcome an illegal immigrant ( or a legal one ) and many times will take the law out of the picture and remove the "problems" by themselves. This causes more problems and frustrations for the community overall. I can clearly see the frustrations and even understand them in the cases of so many illegals pouring into an area and attempting to set up camp causing eyesores , economical strain and increased crime rates among the other issues. If i attempt to see things from their position I see them coming to a place of opportunity from a place of poverty where the differences are simply amazing. So , I am not sure if I can blame them for the desire to find a better way of life for them , a somewhat natural thing. However , we do have laws for damn good reasons and those laws have been put in place for the good of our way of life and the safety of all of us among many other reasons , so ...... I will have to say that if anyone truly wants to come to this country and live our way of life then we welcome you !! All we ask is that you do it the legal way, don't wave your countries flag in our faces ( or you truly did not want to come here to be an american but take from the american ) and for Gods sake LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH!! / why should I (we) have to learn Spanish etc. ? We did not cross a border. Whew , okay ..... a simple southern boys thoughts on the matter. Ciao my new friends !

Old 12-20-2009, 04:58 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,737,853 times
Very valid points, Digitech . . . BEAUTIFULLY STATED.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:08 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,027,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's not the same situation. I have several friends who are physicians, engineers and graduate students who are here on various types of visas. They are educated professionals who have the capability of paying for the right to be here. The illegals have no such capabilities so it isn't a fair comparison or analogy. They are blue collar workers that work incredibly hard to make nothing. They are not IT guys who earning 60K per year or ASU MBA students on F1 visa.

I'm sorry you were the victim of identity theft. If I was the victim of a crime, I know I would probably feel the same way you do.
That is why I included friends that both could afford the system and those that struggle in my quote you commented on and I said it wasn't fair to those individuals who struggle as well.

However, bottom-line being that we need to know and document those who arrive and live in the country for social issues including census data and so those people have an "identity." I actually support some forms of amnesty for certain populations of migrants as it has been done in the past; like the bracero program of the 1940's to 1960's which allowed movement of people between the two and even eventual citizenship or residency for many but really a temporary solution; one reason I have reservations about a program like that today. However, the U.S. was able to document movement much more easily.

Funny thing, since I work with Germans and have worked and passed through ports of entry in the U.S. with them (mostly in Arizona) those white individuals have been "inconvenienced" much more than I ever have. Their accents and language usually bring attention to them.

I have been asked, outright, a couple of times for my "documentation" at the airport. Both times I probably had a confused look on my face as I said; "my boarding pass or flight information." Both times those questioning me laughed and said "you're good." Later realizing (yes, both times ) that they were questioning my citizenship. LOL

Old 12-20-2009, 06:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,173,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
That is why I included friends that both could afford the system and those that struggle in my quote you commented on and I said it wasn't fair to those individuals who struggle as well.

However, bottom-line being that we need to know and document those who arrive and live in the country for social issues including census data and so those people have an "identity." I actually support some forms of amnesty for certain populations of migrants as it has been done in the past; like the bracero program of the 1940's to 1960's which allowed movement of people between the two and even eventual citizenship or residency for many but really a temporary solution; one reason I have reservations about a program like that today. However, the U.S. was able to document movement much more easily.

Funny thing, since I work with Germans and have worked and passed through ports of entry in the U.S. with them (mostly in Arizona) those white individuals have been "inconvenienced" much more than I ever have. Their accents and language usually bring attention to them.

I have been asked, outright, a couple of times for my "documentation" at the airport. Both times I probably had a confused look on my face as I said; "my boarding pass or flight information." Both times those questioning me laughed and said "you're good." Later realizing (yes, both times ) that they were questioning my citizenship. LOL
Maybe the TSA people thought you were a German.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:39 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,027,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Maybe the TSA people thought you were a German.
LOL, or the fact that both times I happened to be looking at them as I was briskly going to pass them.... but on my way MAY (I mean, could have been the case I admit to nothing) have given one of the two an additional look ...

And I know from some training regarding weapons checks and suspicious behavior in the military (police have similar guidelines and instructions) that civilians "watching" or paying close attention to the actions/movements of those in uniform can be a form of "suspicious" behavior and something to watch for. So, really I MAY have been just "checking him out" but the officer wouldn't of had anyway of knowing that...lot's of times these types of common behavior can raise red flags and some could take offense if this caught the officers' attention thus leading to being questioned.

LOL, and I think the officer who said "you're good" and chuckled caught on to me when I looked "sheepishly" at the other guy (who would make a great model for recruiting material for the agency) when the other officer was the one asking me for my "documentation." LOL

Now what Sheriff Arpaio does is VASTLY different and definitely discriminatory to the definition. If a picture was printed next to a definition of racial profiling, his raids would be perfect. He even admits to it. Instead, how the raids should work would look like this: Completely "hold" and question every employee at the place of business...go to Chase Tower, lock down the building and everyone from the urinal cleaner to the President of Chase, Western Division should be asked for their proof of eligibility to legally work in the U.S.

The basis for doing a sweep of a business like that would be sound and basically fool-proof. How the Sheriff decides to do raids is based on telephone "tip" lines of businesses that are suspected of hiring illegals. So, he'd just go in and say, "this business has been reported and we have reason to believe that illegal workers are hired here and we must now make sure all employees are eligible to work in the U.S.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 12-20-2009 at 07:13 PM..

Old 12-21-2009, 11:50 AM

570 posts, read 1,754,958 times
Attached Thumbnails
Is the illegal immigration getting better?-image001s.jpg  

Old 12-21-2009, 05:38 PM

110 posts, read 248,319 times
Classic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area