Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:33 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,027,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I think fcorralles 80 has way to much time on his hands! Trying to debate a person's mere preference is futile and a waste of time.
LOL, where was I trying to debate a person's "mere preference?" I was debating wrongful descriptions and misrepresentations not "preferences." You find ways of trolling no matter the topic don't you. Saying Phoenix is hot to someone is a preference, but saying there are NO parks, urban spaces, or nightclubs IS not a mere preference but a mere lie. I do have time on my hands until next month, it's great...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 06:13 AM

54 posts, read 111,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
He said the culture of the southwest and its surroundings interested him. My guess is that he likes the flora and fauna of the desert, the heat, the hispanic influence, hispanic food, mexican women/men (LOL), outdoor activities including hiking, swimming, etc is part of the draw. I'm sure the added value of the nightlife in Phoenix and proximity to light rail is just a bonus. Besides the clubs in Chicago cannot match the ambiance, energy, size, and abundance/variety of nightlife in Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe/Glendale. Chicago isn't known for its nightlife and Phoenix is as it is a byproduct of the tourist, resort, young newcomer, etc market in Phoenix.

Amen. Im an avid outdoorsmen and LOVE the culture and nature of the southwest. I love the mountains and I love the fact that I can travel to so many amazing historical sites within a couple hours (many are even closer than that). If Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe even has one cool place to have a cocktail at during the weekend (or weeknight) than thats a bonus. Bring on the heat and the sexy femininas!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:31 AM

272 posts, read 610,054 times
To the OP:

I might have a different perspective on this. I've been in Chicago (suburbs, actually) for the past 12 years; and lived in the Phx area for the 14 yrs prior. Please take my comments with a grain of salt, as I've been back to The Valley only 3 times (visiting my family) since moving here - things have changed...

Despite Chicago's superior mass transit system, I actually did more exploring and had a better "nightlife" in Phoenix. In comparison to Phx, Chicago is a nightmare to navigate by car - and parking rates (either lot or meter) are obscene. The Metra heavy rail to the western suburbs stops running at around 12:30 AM, with can curtail your plans (unless you want to party until 5:30 AM or so when the trains start running again - and I'm too damn old to play like that any more... ). Phoenix was far easier to get around (notice "was" - I haven't been back in 3 yrs or so), easier to find the place you were looking for, and I don't remember paying for parking in the 14 yrs I was there.

Chicago was great when I first got here. Finally - A REAL CITY! Did most of the touristy/cultural stuff (Hancock bldg observation deck, Civic Opera, Symphony Hall, Adler, Shedd, all kinds of restaurants, yadda, yadda). Worked in The Loop for a number of years. Now, my wife and I pretty much stick around home (La Grange Park) - neither of us wants to deal with driving DT, and setting the schedule by when the trains are running (esp. at night) is kind of a pain. While I certainly haven't seen EVERYTHING Chicago has to offer, I've seen what interests me.

I do miss driving to Sedona and Rene's (is that still there?), or leaving the Valley's 110+ degrees, driving up 260, and being in Show Low's 75 degrees 3.5 hrs (and a really nice drive) later.

Different lifestyle. I can understand why you're bored here.

Just remember - you may get "bored" with Phoenix in 10 yrs or so (about how long it took me) - and then ya gotta look for somewhere else to live...

Old 08-27-2009, 06:29 AM

Good feedback, JoeC. Yeah, Im 28 years old and dont think I'll be living in Phoenix for the rest of my life, but for right now its exactly what im looking for...cheaper than Chicago and nature abound and an overall different culture. Im also looking to get my nature photography portfolio/business website off the ground...so im pretty damn excited to have places to shoot again. Im making the move during the week between xmas and NYE (flying in November to sign a lease). Im very excited to pack up and make the long drive. I'll be stopping in El Paso to say hi to some old friends.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:31 AM

btw....what the hell does OP mean? lol

Old 08-27-2009, 08:00 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,771,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelosthighways View Post
btw....what the hell does OP mean? lol
OP = Original Poster. That would be the person who started this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area