Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:44 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,298,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by numeflua View Post
I'm dismayed to find we have so many sheeple in Arizona.
You admitted you were speeding. If the ticket comes in the mail - man up and pay it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 01:48 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,298,037 times
Quote:
Taking responsibility involves accepting that one did something wrong, and trying to make amends. Only a sheep would believe that doing 63 in a 55 is doing something wrong.
First off - you don't know for a fact that your "friend" will get a ticket in the mail. It sometimes takes a couple of months for them to get mailed. So, at this point, the argument is a moot point.

Then, IF a ticket does come - you have admitted speeding. You could be cited in AZ for doing 1 mph over the speed limit. Of course, that normally does not happen. Regardless - you admit you were in violation of the speed limit. If the ticket comes in - pay it. $181.50.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:20 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,275,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You admitted you were speeding. If the ticket comes in the mail - man up and pay it.
Do you actually support these scamera's? It sure sounds like it. As I have said before, I got well over 20 of these tickets years ago when I was a delivery driver. Really, it was way more than that because I moved, and never changed my address on my license, or forwarded my mail. I have never even paid for one of these photo tickets. I would have paid over well over $5,000 if I paid these scamera tickets, and for what? My license never got suspended, nor did I get punished in any way. With the exception of Scottsdale who is doing alternate service, anyone who pays for these tickets is a sucker, plain and simple.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:22 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,275,685 times
Quote:
Taking responsibility involves accepting that one did something wrong, and trying to make amends. Only a sheep would believe that doing 63 in a 55 is doing something wrong.

These traffic cameras have nothing to do with right and wrong, the rule of law, or anything else civilization is built upon. If anything, they cause more danger because they create inconsistent traffic flow patterns. The only reason I was even doing 63 is because everyone in the right lane had slowed down to 50 for a reason unbeknownst to me since I'm not familiar with the area, and thus, I wanted to pass them. A situation in which people suddenly slow down to 50 on the highway is dangerous. These traffic cameras are a danger to humanity.

The ONLY logical conclusion one can come up with for their existence is the government needs more money and is willing to put lives in danger to get it. It has nothing to do with safety or right and wrong or anything else. So spare me the lecture about taking responsibility you unthinking automaton.
Agreed 100%, I gave you your first rep points for this comment.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:06 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,361,640 times
Quote:
Truer words were never written. I ride my bike as fast as conditions safely allow at all times. My radar detector, eagle eyes and the warning signs keep me safe from the tax collectors.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:57 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
GOOD GRIEF . . . GROW UP AND PAY THE DAMN TICKET.

A major part of becoming an adult is to learn from your mistakes so admit you broke the law, pay the ticket or attend traffic school and move on but this time obey the speed limits.

Bummer, you are over simplifying the situation. I'm from MN and I was all around the Phoenix valley this weekend looking at potential areas to buy a home. I've never scene so many traffic camera's in all of my life!!! In 2 days or 300 miles of driving, I started to count and passed 20+ temporary mobile vans. I saw well over 100 camera's on the highways. And that is just what I noticed.

If it was all about keeping the streets safe then I agree with your point. It's too easy to get caught speeding from one zone to another if you follow the traffic.

Bummer. I know I know... Don't speed. Well I don't based off of how many tickets I get. But technology can be offensive when it turns into a big brother situation. This is obviously different: It's about curbing speeding but (because of how many are out there) it REALLY about revenue!!!

So you don't agree???? How about I attach a GPS to your car (you already have one in your cell phone). When you accidentally speed 10 MPH over because you thought it was a 65 MPH zone but it was a 55 MPH area, then I will say be a man and pay your fine. So do you have any problem with your cell phone's embedded GPS being used as a speed checking device??? It's a slippery slope. Moderator cut: no personal attacks
This is about fighting back. After personally witnessing their evasion of privacy, I too would use any technicality to get out of the ticket. I wish the OP the best of luck!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-11-2009 at 01:10 PM..

Old 08-16-2009, 09:06 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Bummer, you are over simplifying the situation. I'm from MN and I was all around the Phoenix valley this weekend looking at potential areas to buy a home. I've never scene so many traffic camera's in all of my life!!! In 2 days or 300 miles of driving, I started to count and passed 20+ temporary mobile vans. I saw well over 100 camera's on the highways. And that is just what I noticed.

If it was all about keeping the streets safe then I agree with your point. It's too easy to get caught speeding from one zone to another if you follow the traffic.

Bummer. I know I know... Don't speed. Well I don't based off of how many tickets I get. But technology can be offensive when it turns into a big brother situation. This is obviously different: It's about curbing speeding but (because of how many are out there) it REALLY about revenue!!!

So you don't agree???? How about I attach a GPS to your car (you already have one in your cell phone). When you accidentally speed 10 MPH over because you thought it was a 65 MPH zone but it was a 55 MPH area, then I will say be a man and pay your fine. So do you have any problem with your cell phone's embedded GPS being used as a speed checking device??? It's a slippery slope. Moderator cut: no personal attacks pleaseDon't come off all high-and-mighty. I guarantee you that I can find several situations right now in your life when I could tell you to "GROW UP ". This is about fighting back. After personally witnessing their evasion of privacy, I too would use any technicality to get out of the ticket. I wish the OP the best of luck!
You are either exaggerating, counting the same cam multiple times, or mistaking cameras used to control signals for speeding cameras. There are only 25 or so cameras on the entire freeway system in Phoenix and you see far fewer vans - usually one in the major construction zones on I10 and I17 and an occasional one in other areas. Some cities have cams too - especially red light ones. It's pretty easy to avoid getting a ticket by just driving intelligently.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-11-2009 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 08-16-2009, 10:13 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,735,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You are either exaggerating, counting the same cam multiple times, or mistaking cameras used to control signals for speeding cameras. There are only 25 or so cameras on the entire freeway system in Phoenix and you see far fewer vans - usually one in the major construction zones on I10 and I17 and an occasional one in other areas. Some cities have cams too - especially red light ones. It's pretty easy to avoid getting a ticket by just driving intelligently.
Sounds like a little PARANOIA to me, Ponderosa . . . how 'bout you?

Bottom line . . . law abiding citizens are rarely concerned with law enforcement.

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 08-16-2009, 10:20 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

I was not driving so potentially I was counting things more than once. On the interstate, there were groupings of camera's. A few miles later, there were another grouping of camera's. I'm assuming they put more than one on the highway so people don't just speed-up down the road. An AZ friend that was driving pointed to camera's at signal lights. I was assuming those also were for speeding and was mentally counting them as speeding camera's. I stand corrected.

In any case, I saw several white vans with tall poles coming from them. Based off of the total numbers of vans, I think it is safe to assume I counted some more than once.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:34 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,081,929 times
I just got my first ticket in AZ at the speed camera at Ray and Arizona. Let me say, the car has a temp tag cause I just got it a week ago. I didn't even think it was registered to me yet, but lo and behold, Chandler sent me a ticket, with the photo pictures showing my car, my head, etc etc. The truth is I was in the intersection and the light turned yellow and I speeded up. I have done this alot of times, to get out of the intersection. But I was clocked at 46 in a 35 zone. I thought 11miles over would be forgiven. Not a chance! The total ticket is $210. I am doing the traffic school thing to keep it off my insurance and that will cost me $195. There just is no way around these cameras and my take on this whole this is : Find out where the cameras are and avoid them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area