Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:38 PM

20 posts, read 70,172 times

Advertisements

My car, which is registered in NY, is broken down. So I'm borrowing a friend's car to drive while I look for a new one.

Today, I was driving south on 51 and right before the Camelback exit, I got flashed. I looked down and I was doing about 63 in a 55.

1) Does a flash mean I will definitely get a ticket?
2) Will my friend get the ticket since he owns the car?
3) Can I weasel out of this somehow since he wasn't the one driving and it's not my car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 12:03 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,533 times
That happened to me, except I was driving my own car. The ticket WILL be mailed to the owner of the vehicle. He can protest the ticket, claiming it wasnt him driving and they may dismiss it. But Your friend may come after you if he ends up having to pay a fine.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:50 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
GOOD GRIEF . . . GROW UP AND PAY THE DAMN TICKET.

A major part of becoming an adult is to learn from your mistakes so admit you broke the law, pay the ticket or attend traffic school and move on but this time obey the speed limits.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:21 AM

140 posts, read 467,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numeflua View Post
My car, which is registered in NY, is broken down. So I'm borrowing a friend's car to drive while I look for a new one.

Today, I was driving south on 51 and right before the Camelback exit, I got flashed. I looked down and I was doing about 63 in a 55.

3) Can I weasel out of this somehow since he wasn't the one driving and it's not my car?
The registered owner of the car will receive the ticket if anyone does. If this person is really your friend, he will mail back the ticket, marking the box that it wasn't him/her and that will be the end of it. He/she is under no obligation to "give up" the name of the person driving the car. He/she is NOT a law enforcement officer and is thus not obliged to act as one and figure out who was driving the car at the time.

Remember that laws such as this that are enforced purely on a profit motivated basis by a foreign corporation based in Australia (Redflex), deserves not even one ounce of respect from us Americans and thus any way of fighting these clowns can be considered being a true patriotic red-blooded American.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnp4r7i17ro

Old 08-15-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
GOOD GRIEF . . . GROW UP AND PAY THE DAMN TICKET.

A major part of becoming an adult is to learn from your mistakes so admit you broke the law, pay the ticket or attend traffic school and move on but this time obey the speed limits.
I'm dismayed to find we have so many sheeple in Arizona.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:09 PM

223 posts, read 596,484 times
I do NOT believe the 'flash' alone means you will get the ticket. Several reasons for this thought:
1) I've been flashed and ticketed, and also flashed and not ticketed;
2) Unless you were the only car in the 'zone', it may have been another car that was flashed not yours
3) I believe they 'flash' based on certain triggers, and once they have the 'data', they further analyze the data and only if the data supports the ticket do they issue it.

By the latter, I mean - maybe their trigger for the flash is, 'any motion detected above 55' - but now they have a picture and supporting data, they further evaluate. If there are too many cars in the frame to determine who's at fault, or if there is no good license plate shot, or whatever - then they discard. I would GUESS they take many more shots than they issue tickets. This is pure speculation, btw.

I suspect that part of their strategy is to flash 'aggressively' to scare people into slowing down (works on me!), but only follow up on the cases that are quite 'solid'. Also, I was flashed on one of the bridges going over into Tempe, never got a ticket....

Old 08-15-2009, 02:42 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
I'm dismayed to find we have so many sheeple in Arizona.
"Sheeple" or individuals adult enough to behave responsibly and own their own problems without looking for scams or easy-outs?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:04 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,218,301 times
Wow 63 in a 55 is not that fast.

You need to be going at least 70-75 in that zone to get a ticket here in NY...

What is the leeway that the machine gives you?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:11 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:

1) yes
2)yes
3) NO, but it doesn't get points or get reported to your insurance

Arizona is one big Speedtrap, we need a Ballot Proposition banning Cameras

Old 08-16-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
"Sheeple" or individuals adult enough to behave responsibly and own their own problems without looking for scams or easy-outs?

Taking responsibility involves accepting that one did something wrong, and trying to make amends. Only a sheep would believe that doing 63 in a 55 is doing something wrong.

These traffic cameras have nothing to do with right and wrong, the rule of law, or anything else civilization is built upon. If anything, they cause more danger because they create inconsistent traffic flow patterns. The only reason I was even doing 63 is because everyone in the right lane had slowed down to 50 for a reason unbeknownst to me since I'm not familiar with the area, and thus, I wanted to pass them. A situation in which people suddenly slow down to 50 on the highway is dangerous. These traffic cameras are a danger to humanity.

The ONLY logical conclusion one can come up with for their existence is the government needs more money and is willing to put lives in danger to get it. It has nothing to do with safety or right and wrong or anything else. So spare me the lecture about taking responsibility you unthinking automaton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area