Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:56 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Most people don't go downtown unless it's for events, like sports, and even then not everyone is into sports or theater.

I can't say I have been downtown in the last 6 months, last time I was there was for court.
There are 1000's that work IN downtown or very NEAR downtown Josh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 07:16 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
So this idea that $5 gas will cause Americans, the biggest car lovers of all, to suddenly hope on a rail system is a pipe dream at best.
You are absolutely correct a proper rail system in Phoenix is a pipe dream.

But that is the point of this thread. To discuss, debate, and dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Pretty much. That is why my wife is happy to drive in the opposite direction.

As far as business displaced around the valley, that would be really annoying. example, I lost my job in downtown but i found a job in Chandler, while my wife couldn't find work in Tempe, she works in Glendale, while we live in mid town and there is no real center to this situation. Or. We live and use to work in Glendale, then both found a job in Chandler, we move to Chandler, then we are happy enough to buy a home in Chandler. oops. looks like MR/MS CEO ran the company into the ground 5 years later, i found a job in cave creek... but im stuck in Chandler because i bought a home. Guess im screwed with gridlock with no options. Or... if there was a rail system that went from each town to a center hub to then hop on the train to that next town.

For me would be a commuter rail that goes to the downtown of those towns then transport myself to wherever it is. This would limit the traffic to local only and not have people driving all over the place. I have another idea for a central shipping rail system, removing the use for semi-trucks, but that is for another day.That is my idea anyway.

Last edited by shiphead; 10-24-2009 at 07:29 PM..

Old 10-24-2009, 08:11 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times
Quote:
And there are hundreds of thousands that work elsewhere. Why cater to those who work downtown and ignore the rest of the city?

Old 10-24-2009, 08:30 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
"And there are hundreds of thousands that work elsewhere."

Millions, not hundreds of thousands.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
And there are hundreds of thousands that work elsewhere. Why cater to those who work downtown and ignore the rest of the city?
Commuter rail that goes say from Maricopa, through the east valley, through Downtown Phoenix, to Glendale and ends up in Wickenburg would service the entire valley Josh. Not just a small portion of it. It would NOT only be for those who work in downtown - it would also be for those who live in the far west valley and work in the far east valley. And so on.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Commuter rail that goes say from Maricopa, through the east valley, through Downtown Phoenix, to Glendale and ends up in Wickenburg would service the entire valley Josh. Not just a small portion of it. It would NOT only be for those who work in downtown - it would also be for those who live in the far west valley and work in the far east valley. And so on.
No it wouldn't, what about everyone in the north valley or scottsdale?

Why live in the far east valley if you work in the far west valley? That situation probably only covers a very very small percentage of the city, most people think logically and live close to where they work.

Say I needed to get from Anthem to Scottsdale, or Scottsdale to Peoria or Sun City, you can't work in a commuter train in the existing city. Making the train only cater to the southern areas is not right.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
No it wouldn't, what about everyone in the north valley or scottsdale? .
Other areas of the country have commuter rail Josh. Take the Coaster for instance. Goes from San Diego to LA. Some lives near the border, gets to the Coaster station, hops aboard, goes to Los Angeles, catches a bus that connects at the Coaster Station.

Same thing in Chicago. Washington, D.C. New York.

Know this though. There is NO commuter rail, ANYWHERE in the country, that can take care of 100% of the population - and that is what you are arguing for Josh.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:58 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
To be fair, The Coaster is not a commuter rail, but part of Amtrak's long-haul system.

The problem with building a commuter train in Phoenix is you get very little band for a whole lot of buck. Yeah, maybe it would be worth looking into for the 50 year plan, but right now it is unnecessary and ignores much simpler, common sense solutions.

Things that helped L.A., Chicago, D.C. and N.Y. start commuter rail service was that they were rail centers--passenger rail centers--for 100 years or more. They used mostly unused track that, for the most part, made logical commuter routes.

In Phoenix, you'd have to build new track at 1 million per mile (not including the cost of purchasing the land), or use existing freight lines that, with a few exceptions, are moderately busy, and don't make a whole lot of sense as strategic commuter routes. Neither option is ideal.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
In Phoenix, you'd have to build new track at 1 million per mile (not including the cost of purchasing the land), or use existing freight lines that, with a few exceptions, are moderately busy, and don't make a whole lot of sense as strategic commuter routes. Neither option is ideal.
You raise some valid arguments -

Long range planning (50 years plus) is necessary. But, IMO, during this time, expansion of the existing light rail system, supplemented by connecting surface transportation - be it the larger bus system or smaller trolley system, would certainly be doable albeit expensive.

I think we will see Glendale push for their expansion of LR in the next year or so. Mesa wants to push up the already planned extension along Main to almost the AJ border.

But, there is that segment living in the far South Valley (Florence, Queen Creek, Johnson Ranch) that has little options at this time - not even a freeway. And there is a LOT of traffic from and to that area, that needs to be dealt with.

Any suggestions?

Old 10-25-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Other areas of the country have commuter rail Josh. Take the Coaster for instance. Goes from San Diego to LA. Some lives near the border, gets to the Coaster station, hops aboard, goes to Los Angeles, catches a bus that connects at the Coaster Station.

Same thing in Chicago. Washington, D.C. New York.

Know this though. There is NO commuter rail, ANYWHERE in the country, that can take care of 100% of the population - and that is what you are arguing for Josh.
No I am only arguing that it's not right to only cater to a certain part of the population and ignore the rest of the town.

My point is that a commuter train would not work in Phoenix unless you spend billions of dollars, and even then finding the space for new tracks would be almost impossible in the congested parts of town, even harder since we border the res.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area