Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 03:08 PM

278 posts, read 547,064 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever moved without much planning? or money haha
I live in Manhattan im 25 and i have a normal job that pays about $500 a week. I still live with my parents and because of past mistakes I will now be restarting school and most of my money goes to debt.
I travel to phx a few times a year and i loveeee it there. This is dumb but in exactly a year i will be done with debt, have a year of school and 5grand saved. i want to move there (more like have to) lol Is dumb because of my good job with union and protection also the not so bad pay. In phx im not sure where i will be working at but im going to have to pay room and finish school.
any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 03:33 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,486,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorkFeinix View Post
We moved here out of school with 2 kids and a few hundred in the bank, if that. I think we had borrowed $1500 for a deposit and put the uhaul and gas on credit cards. I don't know many young people that move with theamount of money you have. If you have 5 grand in savings you're ahead of 95% of people your age. Make the move!

I'm sure people will tell you that the job market sucks, yada yada. Move here now, work for awhile to get residency, and apply for school.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:50 PM

700 posts, read 2,597,657 times
Dumb would be (and we have seen this 1,000 times on CD)...

" I really loooove the sun, I look great with a tan! I have never been to Phoenix, but I'm moving next week. I dont have a car, so will be taking public transportation or walking. I dont have any money but my brothers best friend from college said I can sleep on his pool table in the garage, until I can find a motel on Van Buren and get a job. I dont have a job lined up, but I'm sure I can find something in a few days because I'm really good at fashion and stuff. I'm so excited!! I dont care what my friends and family say....What do you complete strangers think that I will completely argue with and throw a tantrum if it is not what I want to hear?"

That is dumb...

Your idea is not dumb...

What you are doing is making a plan, based on a timeline and goal. You are showing maturity by making this plan based on first hand information and desired results. Sounds to me like you should do fine. More money could never hurt....

If you have a good job in a field you like then start making contacts now with the idea you will be looking for work in about a year, sometimes it can be advantageous to have a good career plan and network, long before you actual need it. Any chance to transfer?

Good luck, remember to enjoy this process and adventure, what you learn from this experience will be useful many more times down the road.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:08 PM

845 posts, read 2,328,914 times
I got 100K in the bank, no debt, and a four year degree, and I still feel apprehensive about my upcoming move to Phoenix. I don't like to dip into savings. My advice to you would be to finish school there and live wiht mom and pa. I believe it takes two years to establish in-state residency in AZ. Meanwhile, tuition will be very expensive for you. What kind of work do you do?

I'm sold my place in Las Vegas 2 months ago, and I've been staying here in VA. Very wealthy place, but also very cold and damp. People look sun deprived.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:25 PM

Thanks guys adolpho i value your opinion but can you really understand where i am coming from? I cant say we can relate. The community college in phx said i will only be paying out of state taxes for one year. I did get into 2 top schools here colombia and nyu i chose nyu dropped out because of 0k in the bank and im sure that would have not been your case. After dropping out i felt like no school was better i went thru something i cant explain.
I do have a girlfriend who lives in phx with a wonderful family an we have been battling long distance for over 4 years. I rather i go live there then her come here in a year i can not begin to imagine 4 more year of this. I love new york but only for about 3 months june july and august and if anyone was here this summer we did not even have a summer. We can skip summers so easily here but we never miss a winter lol thanks ughhhh i hate winterr hah
did i mention about 2grand for a cheap little apartment?

Old 11-13-2009, 04:34 PM

584 posts, read 1,341,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorkFeinix View Post
I live in Manhattan im 25 and i have a normal job that pays about $500 a week. I still live with my parents and because of past mistakes I will now be restarting school and most of my money goes to debt.
I travel to phx a few times a year and i loveeee it there. This is dumb but in exactly a year i will be done with debt, have a year of school and 5grand saved. i want to move there (more like have to) lol Is dumb because of my good job with union and protection also the not so bad pay. In phx im not sure where i will be working at but im going to have to pay room and finish school.
any advice?
You still have a year to think of where you want to be. $500 a week in Manhattan is like $150 in Phoenix. You are 25 and still have a great amout of time in front of you. You just need to have a plan 5, 10, 20 years out. Do some risk calculations and determine what you really are and want in life.

This is the way i look at it if am you.
You are 25, loved Phoenix, currently have a job that pays $500 a week living in "Manhattan". ( I took your parents out of the picture knowing you are not going to be living with them forever ). Debt free next year so it not a problem .5 grand saved and 1 year left for school.
For me i will go for Phoenix in a heartbeat next year if the economy shows sign of stable which i believed in the process as we speak. I would go for Phoenix because i think $500 a week paying job is not something too tough to look for. Even $400 or $350 a week you will be ok for sure. The huge opportunity here is housing and housing. Real Estate crashed + Fears = Opportunity. I see opportunities for someone at 25 like you if you really want to play with numbers, and think about 5, 10, 20 years down the road.
In Manhattan you just can't affort a house with the kind of money you currently earned. The only good thing there is to live close to your parents.

Back in 1981 when i was 18 drove from Washington state in a 1971 ford pinto to Alabama with only $250 and i made it. I didn't have my parents around, nor 5 grand like you do today. So GO for it !!!!!

PS: By the way......My journey didn't end in Alabama though but continued to the west than back to PNW, Europe, Asia, back to PNW, to the S, back to PNW, and i definitely going for Phoenix soon.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:53 PM

haha thanks Discovery yea i see what youre saying. Over here you can rent a room for $125 a week but oh man you have to see these rooms lol. I do have a plan i love Nursing and i work in the #1 hospital in NY #6 in the US. i did manage to get into a great nursing program here but more money then i can imagine. i will aim for the same in phx. I want to work in a hospital in Maryvale sometime in the future. i know everyone here says scary things about Maryvale but i love hospitals in those "scary" areas. Maryvale wasnt so bad though i did live in a place here were door knocks and gun shots were equal haha

Old 11-13-2009, 05:39 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,264,214 times
Honestly, it would be a very bad decision to move. Think about it, you have a free place to stay and a job in New York. In this economy, it is a terrible idea to move anywhere if you are currently employed.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:50 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,424,129 times
I used to make about $300/wk after taxes, I had my own apartment and lived paycheck to paycheck, you should be better off with $500/wk.

1 begdroom apartments are running $350-$500 right now in most places.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:59 PM

683 posts, read 2,652,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
Back in 1981 when i was 18 drove from Washington state in a 1971 ford pinto to Alabama with only $250 and i made it. I didn't have my parents around, nor 5 grand like you do today. So GO for it !!!!!
Interesting, I have a similiar story, I moved from Illinois to Phoenix in 1985 with $500 cash and a '72 Chevy Malibu. I shared a one bedroom apartment with three of my friends and landed a job making $4.25 an hour. Those were some of the best times of my life. No regrets, I still love living in Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area