Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:38 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,667,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
wildmark....

the long list fcorrales gave you several posts back is a good one....but most of those developments were started several years ago, so "new build" areas won't be really common in those, but a few exist....most are in N Phx or N Scotts....

plot all these out on a map and start driving....carry a good map with you with the named developments marked on it....there will be some gatehouses with guards who will say you need to be with a realtor to get in....

the Toll Brothers recommendation is a good one as they are known as a "luxury" home builder....check their website before arriving and plot out their developments....usually, new houses will be pricier than similar resales.....

there are many, many hundreds of resales in that $750K to $1M price range here....you can haggle if you find something you like...there may be a few open house you can look for as you drive....

the Town of PV will almost certainly not have any "new build" developments, but, rather, a few new custom houses scattered about for sale, singly built by a smaller custom contractor on speculation (spec)...despite the current downturn, these new homes in the Town of PV will be priced well, well over $1M.....

as you probably figured out, the negative posts are probably because some are wondering why a buyer in the $1M range is asking on city-data for info....I do recommend you consider asking a realtor here for ideas....you can be honest and say exactly what you're doing....sellers pay the commission, you know, including most builders.....
I completely agree with this 100%. Well thought out and spot on!

I poked a little fun earlier but just because I cracked up at the idea that the first person to respond literally thought you were "flying" overhead to look at homes. It put me in a sarcastic mood, so I wrote my earlier remarks with humor and not resentment.

Now, please forgive what may appear to sound rude, but I have a point to make...

For someone intelligent enough to afford a $750k-$1M home, I find it almost incomprehensible to think you could just drive around yourself, in a city you've never even visited and find the best deal without using a realtor. On your own, visiting builders, they are all going to tell you its "the best" and leave out the drawback, where a good realtor, (and I emphasize GOOD), will be able to help you cut through the sales pitches, and show you things you would never even think about driving by.

If you are successful enough in business to afford that price range, I'm sure you have enough wits to understand that if a person that knows nothing about your business tried to do what you do, they would fail miserably (*but in their ignorance, they would believe they did fantastic).

Finding homes is a realtors business, and trying to avoid one to save commissions (that you don't really save anyway since the seller pays) is likely to cost you in other ways.

I do well in business myself and find my ego sometimes gets in the way. Its easy to think that if you are successful in one thing, that you will be successful in everything, but thats not true. This market is a complete mess and its a huge sum of money to just throw away. I highly advise surrendering to someone who knows the city, knows what you want and can guide you as opposed to a 4 day, jet-lagged home shopping spree, of which 2 are travel days??

Last edited by cmist; 12-07-2009 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 07:40 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
They did say the four days was just a look see, and they would come back if need be. That said, I ABSOLUTELY agree with you about using a realtor in a situation like this, for all the reasons you stated.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
They did say the four days was just a look see, and they would come back if need be. That said, I ABSOLUTELY agree with you about using a realtor in a situation like this, for all the reasons you stated.
Ya I get coming out to scope areas first, but one of the posts sounded like they might be tempted to buy something. Well just the phrase come back "if need be".
Yes come back, Need will be. Up to a million? Thats ALOT of ground to cover with potential for HUGE mistakes. Unless the attitude at that price range is that its no big deal to lose 500K here or there.

I would have a strict rule that no matter what, I WONT buy while clueless and charmed in vacation mode with senses dulled from jet lag. When I know I'm moving, then I would plan a longer trip, get a realtor and dig as deep as I needed to KNOW I have considered ALL possibilities.

What brings you to Phx anyhow wildmark?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:39 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,078,901 times
now that I think about it, a "look and see" thing without a realtor may work.....drive around just to get a feel for value and what you get for a certain amount of money compared to other parts of the country....if it looks good, get a realtor involved then

but there's so much out there here in Phx....wide variety of neighborhoods, vibes, locations, values, up-and-coming or fading-fast areas.....

Old 12-08-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
now that I think about it, a "look and see" thing without a realtor may work.....drive around just to get a feel for value and what you get for a certain amount of money compared to other parts of the country....if it looks good, get a realtor involved then

but there's so much out there here in Phx....wide variety of neighborhoods, vibes, locations, values, up-and-coming or fading-fast areas.....
Ya I agree that its nice to control your own car. Sometimes you see something strange and you want to turn down a street but the realtor is on a strict mission to a destination so you don't quite get to explore as much as you want.

One thing about waiting to get a realtor involved though is that the agent on the sign is obviously employed by the seller, and their main mission is the sell THAT house, so there is little objectivity. Whereas when you have your "own" realtor, they can sell you ANY house and discuss the pros & cons of each. If you are from out of town and don't know any better, you are considered a little bit like easy prey when you just call the person on the sign to show you their listing.

Also, there are many people who think they can call the agent on the sign and get the home for less by saying they don't have a realtor, but in reality, the listing agent just gets double and you have a snowballs chance in hell getting them to reduce commission. Even if they say they will, they just pressure the seller to take less and still earn double commission.

I'm not a realtor, but have people in my family who behaved egotistically like that and I think they got screwed. I used a realtor when I bought mine and feel confident in what I purchased. I may have even been their worst customer, I made them show me TONS of homes, show me all the comps on all my top choices before I bought. In the end though, I made a very well educated decision and we all were happy.

Last edited by cmist; 12-08-2009 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 PM

105 posts, read 243,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Thank you, you hit it on the head

Firstly, I would not consider buying a home without professional help. I don't regard myself as the smartest person in the world but I am not an idiot.

As I have said in a number of posts, the 4 days is for us to drive around and make sure firstly this is the city we want to move to, then if and when thats been decided we will get a short list of at least a couple of areas we would like to start looking, then when we come back to Tampa we can reasearch and employ a realtor, then the serach for a home will begin, and fly back as many times as it takes, and I can assure you I am hard nosed ba$tardo when it comes to my money and I will make sure I get a good deal.

While were over we would like to see some houses/developments, so we can get an idea of whats available for our budget, now if I could get a $1m home for half off thats even better and I know the market is great for buyers but firstly I want to make sure Phoenix/area is where we want to settle down.

Regards

Old 12-08-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Ya I get coming out to scope areas first, but one of the posts sounded like they might be tempted to buy something. Well just the phrase come back "if need be".
Yes come back, Need will be. Up to a million? Thats ALOT of ground to cover with potential for HUGE mistakes. Unless the attitude at that price range is that its no big deal to lose 500K here or there.

I would have a strict rule that no matter what, I WONT buy while clueless and charmed in vacation mode with senses dulled from jet lag. When I know I'm moving, then I would plan a longer trip, get a realtor and dig as deep as I needed to KNOW I have considered ALL possibilities.

What brings you to Phx anyhow wildmark?

I have a strict rule never to make impulsive purchases of expensive items..i have made mistakes in the past!

Old 12-08-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmark View Post
I have a strict rule never to make impulsive purchases of expensive items..i have made mistakes in the past!
Cool, well please excuse my rant.

I have some relatives that are very aloof and think they know everything. I can't be so frank with them, so I think I projected what I would like to say to them onto you.

I wish ya the best good luck... you sound smarter than them.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Cool, well please excuse my rant.

I have some relatives that are very aloof and think they know everything. I can't be so frank with them, so I think I projected what I would like to say to them onto you.

I wish ya the best good luck... you sound smarter than them.

No worries, trust me I am not aloof, I come from a rough council estate, what you would call the 'Projects' so I know what being poor is!

I have made mistakes in the past, like the house were in now, bought with the help of a realtor, we should have gone for area first, then picked the house second, instead we fell in love with the house and said we could put up with the area..oh well you live and learn.

By the way I'm sure if I had put in the thread a proce range of 250k-350k i would not had a single bit of hassel, oh well again...you live and learn

Old 12-08-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmark View Post
No worries, trust me I am not aloof, I come from a rough council estate, what you would call the 'Projects' so I know what being poor is!

I have made mistakes in the past, like the house were in now, bought with the help of a realtor, we should have gone for area first, then picked the house second, instead we fell in love with the house and said we could put up with the area..oh well you live and learn.

By the way I'm sure if I had put in the thread a proce range of 250k-350k i would not had a single bit of hassel, oh well again...you live and learn

I can agree kind of with the 250-350k, but for some, even THAT is reason to be jealous as well.

I was honestly cracking up at the exchange in the earlier part of the thread, It was funny that they thought you were "flying over" literally to view homes from the sky. And when you responded the way you did too, it just made me laugh harder.

I made the chauffeur yourself into Scottsdale ASAP comment later as a complete joke while I was in hysterics over the whole ordeal. I'm not a jealous type and am self-made as well. Not a millionaire, but I do well enough to understand people will always try to knock you down.

Anyways, I do wish you luck no matter what price range you are in! But personally, I don't like Phx for any amount of money. High dollar homes stick you up on a Scottsdale hillside and that feels lonely to me. I would rather spend the same money to be in a more lively setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area