Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 01:19 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,160,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Great, well, it is very hard being a liberal here. I've found it tough to make friends, as I believe one's political beliefs truly do reflect one's core values. Basically, I have no time for a Bush supporting, God loving, war mongering Christian person and they seem to be in abundance here, but I digress.

I guess I've had to be oh.so.careful since living here and it sure has not come naturally being here. I moved from the SF Bay Area, so there is a shocker for ya!

At any rate, here is hoping the economy turns around and that you can go back to Vegas (if it suits you) and I can go elsewhere.

Oh, and on this note I'd best go research that speech. I had posted a thread requesting help for the 10 top reasons in another forum but, lo and behold!, it was deleted.
I was asking the same question in San Francisco and Oakland. I seem to be surrounded by people like you. Now you know what its like to be surrounded by people of different political idealogy than you.

But instead of complaining and being closed minded about it, why not learn something from them and create a dialog? I would litterally sit down in meetings with hardcore communists and talk to them on the issues affecting everyone and I'm a hardcore libertarian. Maybe you found it "tough" to make friends because you've found it tough to change your closed mind.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:29 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,262,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Oh, and on this note I'd best go research that speech. I had posted a thread requesting help for the 10 top reasons in another forum but, lo and behold!, it was deleted.
if you are a heavy enough advocate to want to give a speech on the subject with a given position, shouldn't you already have some ideas in mind and now only need to hone the specifics and polish up the presentation?

Old 12-08-2009, 01:30 PM

45 posts, read 118,421 times
Quote:
I've found it tough to make friends, as I believe one's political beliefs truly do reflect one's core values.
This seems very narrow minded to me - do you also only have friends with the same religious (or lack thereof) beliefs?

Seriously though, I doubt you will be able to change anyone's mind as long as you maintain attitudes like "republicans don't think", "you don't have time for people with differing beliefs", and imply that if they don't hold the same beliefs as you, they are immoral. You clearly have no respect for republicans, and that will come across in the way you present yourself. I don't see how that will help your cause or make anyone think. In my opinion, you should give your speech to like-minded people - at least everyone will enjoy it, and maybe you can make some new friends.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,035,735 times
If someone has to ask, "where can I find liberals in Phoenix?" I doubt their true intention was to start an intelligent conversation on the issue; besides its pretty well known, and widely know where the liberal areas are in the metro area.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:52 PM

525 posts, read 542,014 times
Hahahaha..excellent point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
If someone has to ask, "where can I find liberals in Phoenix?" I doubt their true intention was to start an intelligent conversation on the issue; besides its pretty well known, and widely know where the liberal areas are in the metro area.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:55 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,124,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
If someone has to ask, "where can I find liberals in Phoenix?" I doubt their true intention was to start an intelligent conversation on the issue; besides its pretty well known, anEspeciad widely know where the liberal areas are in the metro area.
Spot on, Corrales.

Especially when some us get chastised as war mongering Christians when we disagree with certain political stances.

Movin' On,

I suggest that you present your opinion with unbiased data and an objective approach. Capture your audience with intelligence and vivacity.

While my opinions certainly differ from yours, I'd be glad to hear them with openness and a chance for rebuttal.

But reading your opening post on this subject matter, others' opinions don't matter to you if they differ from yours.

Que lastima.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:59 PM

643 posts, read 1,396,049 times
Yeah I went to reply and thought it was pretty BS that it was closed. Ummm I wasn't able to come up with a whole lot of Liberal Groups in AZ. I did see ASU has a couple and than I found the Phoenix Democratic Party but that was it.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:29 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilina View Post
This seems very narrow minded to me - do you also only have friends with the same religious (or lack thereof) beliefs?

Seriously though, I doubt you will be able to change anyone's mind as long as you maintain attitudes like "republicans don't think", "you don't have time for people with differing beliefs", and imply that if they don't hold the same beliefs as you, they are immoral. You clearly have no respect for republicans, and that will come across in the way you present yourself. I don't see how that will help your cause or make anyone think. In my opinion, you should give your speech to like-minded people - at least everyone will enjoy it, and maybe you can make some new friends.
Very true!

Old 12-08-2009, 08:13 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,579,301 times
Liberals tend to stick around universities, upscale places (lots of liberals are upper class). Also they tend to be in lily white neighborhoods. I'm not being facetious, as I'm a liberal in the Frederic Bastiat tradition.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,934,896 times
Please stay on the topic of where to find a liberal group to speak to!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area