Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:34 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times

Advertisements

I think any of the Democratic legislative district groups would be thrilled to have a speaker for their meetings.... I know my district has meetings, with speakers... I suspect others do, too.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 PM

164 posts, read 773,251 times
Default Toastmasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Thanks, I can investigate this.

My pressing concern is what to talk about in this speech at this Toastmasters group. I was thinking...Kwaanza...but the truth is I really don't care about Kwaanza. Why should I have to tip toe around a bunch of right wingers when they have already made their beliefs know in one off hand comment or the other in my presence? I hate this state and its politics.

Fine, thanks all, I will now be giving that speech. I am sure it won't make one whit of difference, but at least I'll be talking about something I give a damn about.
Regardless of the predominant political views, any TM club worth a darn can handle it. Just give the best speech you can. Hey, be good for 'em to have to sit quietly and listen to a different view (heehee). You might warn the days TM to remind your evaluators to keep to the speech criteria, if you think that would be an issue (or talk to them directly beforehand). But honestly, do you REALLY think your political views will be any surprise to them?

Anyway, I'm a past club president, both parents were district pres during my youth, so I've seen plenty of TM speeches and to be honest, to me one of the BEST parts of TM meeting was seeing all the different styles and topics people used. Would be very boring to just keep seeing the same stuff!

So leave the chip off your shoulder and go in and give the very best persuasive speech you can. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:05 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,277,455 times
This is my last post in the thread.

Find a Meetup Group Near You! - Liberals Meetups - Phoenix

Old 12-08-2009, 10:05 PM

857 posts, read 1,735,924 times
Default Liberals In Arizona

Moderator cut: off topic
As for WHERE to find LIBERAL areas/cities/neighborhoods in Arizona, PLEASE post where they are. I don't know of any. Maybe they're aren't any? Is Scottsdale, AZ liberal?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-08-2009 at 10:34 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 11:20 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,459,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
As for WHERE to find LIBERAL areas/cities/neighborhoods in Arizona, PLEASE post where they are. I don't know of any. Maybe they're aren't any? Is Scottsdale, AZ liberal?

No, I live in Scottsdale and it is NOT liberal. In fact, when I went to vote in 2004 I was bounced off the roster due to my having registered as a democrat. Well, guess what, I registered as a republican in 2008 and NO ISSUE. I waltzed in and voted a straight democratic ticket. My voting number was 444 for the 44th President of the United States. Interesting.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-09-2009 at 12:09 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Thanks! I am going to sign up for this!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrynS View Post
OT, but perhaps helps put the OPs situation into perspective?
Purpose of Toastmasters is to help improve general public speaking and presentation skills. Not a political organization. In my group I've seen speeches on origins of family traditions, new medical research, and how to make a perfect cup of cappuccino. Speeches can be humorous, informative, or personal. I did it when I was making technical presentations at conferences, but the skills are useful for presenting ideas at a weekly biz meeting or even crafting a humorous tale to share at a family gathering. Coincidentally, they now start teaching public speaking in 1st grade here.
Well, the president of our club has made his political beliefs AGAINST healthcare reform known. I don't see why I should not make mine known. I do know the purpose of TM. Also, I do know that some clubs allow for discussions of religion, sex, and politics while others do not.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,027,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post

Tempe, central Phoenix, areas of Scottsdale, Glendale, the SW Valley, and east Valley (save Mesa), Flagstaff, Tucson, many communities in Coconino county and Pima county for that matter. Even small towns like Jerome, Catalina, etc etc. When I say central Phoenix I am NOT just talking about downtown but of a large geographical area that encompasses multiple congressional districts.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Tempe, central Phoenix, areas of Scottsdale, Glendale, the SW Valley, and east Valley (save Mesa), Flagstaff, Tucson, many communities in Coconino county and Pima county for that matter. Even small towns like Jerome, Catalina, etc etc. When I say central Phoenix I am NOT just talking about downtown but of a large geographical area that encompasses multiple congressional districts.
Sorry, but the Phoenix metro area voted RED in the political election. Tucson and up north are the only areas that could remotely be considered BLUE.

BTW, you really should get a job with the Chamber of Commerce.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:36 AM

857 posts, read 1,735,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Flagstaff is definitely NOT liberal! Very conservative. Maybe NAU is liberal but that's about it.

Moderator cut: can't discuss mod acitons on forum, only in DM

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-09-2009 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area