Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:07 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,464,826 times

Advertisements

Specifically, I belong to a Toastmasters group. I'd love to deliver a speech on the "10 Top Reasons We Need National Healthcare," but I am surrounded by Republicans and I am NOT happy. Thanks for any thoughts in advance.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,352,947 times
Movin,

Well, unfortunately I cant help too much, other than Im sure there are some Democrat groups listed via google in the valley.

But, without divulging my own views on the subject (I try to avoid that on these boards), seems to me, although admittedly difficult, the Republicans are whom you would WANT to be speaking to in an effort to change minds. The liberal base is already pretty firmly in your camp in some form.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,300,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Specifically, I belong to a Toastmasters group. I'd love to deliver a speech on the "10 Top Reasons We Need National Healthcare," but I am surrounded by Republicans and I am NOT happy. Thanks for any thoughts in advance.
Liberals in Phoenix? LOL!! Give me a break. Phoenix, and Arizona in general is a right winger place to the core. Crock Pot Joe, John McCain.... I could go on and on. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-08-2009 at 11:17 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 01:27 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,669,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Liberals in Phoenix? LOL!! Give me a break. Phoenix, and Arizona in general is a right winger place to the core. Crock Pot Joe, John McCain.... I could go on and on. Moderator cut: orphaned quote
I agree. There might be pockets of areas that are more liberal but trying to identify a solid "liberal" area is going to be hard.

AZ is a red state and in the company of all the other redneck states when it comes to progress and politics.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-08-2009 at 11:17 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I agree. There might be pockets of areas that are more liberal but trying to identify a solid "liberal" area is going to be hard.

AZ is a red state and in the company of all the other redneck states when it comes to progress and politics.
Moderator cut: rude to entire state
Oh well, I guess in light of comments I WILL inspire some Republicans to perhaps think and give a well thought out and reasoned speech. Number 1 reason? It's the morally CORRECT thing to do. Let's see how long it is before this thread is closed.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-07-2009 at 04:33 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 01:36 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,510,612 times
You might find some groups through meetup.com, my legislative district (which is majority Republican) has a pretty active Democratic group. I get emails about their monthly meetings/speakers all the time. PM me if you want.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You might find some groups through meetup.com, my legislative district (which is majority Republican) has a pretty active Democratic group. I get emails about their monthly meetings/speakers all the time. PM me if you want.
Thanks, I can investigate this.

My pressing concern is what to talk about in this speech at this Toastmasters group. I was thinking...Kwaanza...but the truth is I really don't care about Kwaanza. Why should I have to tip toe around a bunch of right wingers when they have already made their beliefs know in one off hand comment or the other in my presence? I hate this state and its politics.

Fine, thanks all, I will now be giving that speech. I am sure it won't make one whit of difference, but at least I'll be talking about something I give a damn about.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:41 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,300,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Yeah, right. There must be some reason AZ is the dumbest state in the country. Yikes.

Oh well, I guess in light of comments I WILL inspire some Republicans to perhaps think and give a well thought out and reasoned speech. Number 1 reason? It's the morally CORRECT thing to do. Let's see how long it is before this thread is closed.

No reason to close the thread. I feel Southern Belle will be fair as long as there are no insults, or personal attacks. I am game for a fair discussion.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
No reason to close the thread. I feel Southern Belle will be fair as long as there are no insults, or personal attacks. I am game for a fair discussion.
Great, well, it is very hard being a liberal here. I've found it tough to make friends, as I believe one's political beliefs truly do reflect one's core values. Basically, I have no time for a Bush supporting, God loving, war mongering Christian person and they seem to be in abundance here, but I digress.

I guess I've had to be oh.so.careful since living here and it sure has not come naturally being here. I moved from the SF Bay Area, so there is a shocker for ya!

At any rate, here is hoping the economy turns around and that you can go back to Vegas (if it suits you) and I can go elsewhere.

Oh, and on this note I'd best go research that speech. I had posted a thread requesting help for the 10 top reasons in another forum but, lo and behold!, it was deleted.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,931,269 times
re-opened, not sure how it got closed, not byany intention of mine.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area