Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:40 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,670,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I don't think you're comprehending my post correctly, obviously the entire city CAN ride the LR, but on a regular basis only a "handful" of people can actually use it without going out of their way, for most it would be simply illogical to ride the LR.
First, I support the idea of the light rail as anyone could gather.

Second, I agree, its completely out of my way and illogical to ride. All I can do is support them extending it so it can be useful to more in the future. Every other major city has mass transit and there is no reason why Phoenix should be the exception. Even if I don't use it, our city needs to keep up with competing larger cities or risk being viewed as a city full of car dependent backwards thinking hillbillies.

As far as how big the city actually is, and how many of those people actually live nearby and have situations that warrant traveling via lightrail probably could be considered a handful in relationship to the population.

I did make an excuse to ride it just to see what it was all about. It was inconvenient in terms of how long it took and how many times it stopped, or sometimes having to stand, etc. But sometimes its nice to be a passenger instead of a driver when you aren't worried about time.

Overall though, it let me see Phoenix through a different set of eyes, and gave me a little hope that they are going to work on catching up with other large cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 06:27 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,335,641 times
The upcoming expansion of the rail lines will only prove to make the LR much more attractive to that many more people.

I ride the LR frequently (2/3 times a week). And the times I ridre are more hours - comuters hours. The cars are always pretty full - Every once in a while, they (the cars) are SRO.

It is doing well.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:30 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,040,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
First, I support the idea of the light rail as anyone could gather.

Second, I agree, its completely out of my way and illogical to ride. All I can do is support them extending it so it can be useful to more in the future. Every other major city has mass transit and there is no reason why Phoenix should be the exception. Even if I don't use it, our city needs to keep up with competing larger cities or risk being viewed as a city full of car dependent backwards thinking hillbillies.
LOL! I love your last sentence. I agree as well. It would be illogical for many to ride the train daily just as it would be illogical for me to have to use any freeway except for the 10 (from time to time). So therefore, should I take a similar view like karma about the freeways around the valley that only benefit a few even though every time I pay tax, buy gas, buy a light rail ticket for someone else? Of course not.

Quote:
I did make an excuse to ride it just to see what it was all about. It was inconvenient in terms of how long it took and how many times it stopped, or sometimes having to stand, etc. But sometimes its nice to be a passenger instead of a driver when you aren't worried about time.
True, but this is mainly a view of the light rail of real urban transit being confused with a monorail ride in Seattle or Disney World. It must stop often to work in the city, and it usually takes less time on the train compared to city or rush hour driving. For instance, driving to my class in the evening to ASU would take about 5-20 minutes longer than the train depending on traffic, then I would have to park, pay, and walk further to campus from a lot or garage...

Old 12-16-2009, 06:33 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,335,641 times
We go to a lot of Suns and D-Backs games. We also attend events at the Convention Center and the Herberger.

Inasmuch as we live in the FAR east valley, to simply go to Superstition Springs Mall, park the car, take the Link to the Rail (@ Sycamore), hop the train, get dropped off RIGHT IN FRONT of the Arenas (and not having to pay the HUGE parking fee), the Convenience factor alone sold us on the rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area