Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:32 PM

78 posts, read 140,829 times

Advertisements

I admit, I had a very short stay in this wonderful city. But as I sit here in Detroit, unable to sleep, I find myself hoping all of you who live in Pittsburgh know how luck you truly are. I've lived pretty much everywhere, in this country and others. I have lived in Canada, Los Angeles (and surrounding environs), Colorado, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Washington, D.C., Maryland, Virginia and even, for a short time, in England. And I have to say, pot holes and all, Pittsburgh is the place that has won my heart.

From the moment I started posting on this board, when we were just thinking about relocating to the 'burgh, so many wonderful people stepped up and gave good advice. Even still, I was surprised when I arrived and all the helpful things I had been told here, online, manifested itself even more in the people I met! In all my life, I had never encountered such sheer generosity of spirit.

From the school I was fortunate enough to send my child, to the FREE summer camp he was able to attend -- who could ask for anything more! If we had been able to stay longer, he might even have learned to swim because this city offers the lessons for free! (After coming from Massachusetts, where it cost our family $340 a WEEK to send our child to camp, and $200 for swimming lessons, this is a HUGE deal!)

I asked my husband this evening if he thought we could make it back to Pittsburgh. (I had always assumed -- hoped-- that we would.) He doesn't feel as hopeful as I. Maybe that is what is prompting this post: I absolutely LOVE your city. And I would like all who live there to understand that what you have is a gift. Good people in a proper sized city that offers so much to so many. I can't tell you how much I want to come back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 05:23 AM

475 posts, read 571,302 times
Have you considered seeking treatment for your Pittsburgh obsession? It's really unhealthy to be this into the city.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:56 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Aran - I hope you where joking with that....If not you need to get out more....people fawn over and are obsessed with cities like NYC SF LA Miami....but someone in love with the Burgh is crazy?!?! Yea OK!

New Hope321 - I think you message was one of inspiration...its so nice to see someone as well travelled as yourself can see what Pittsburgh has against all other cities....The Burgh is truly this country's most underrated city...

Hopefully your story will get these Pessimistic, Insular, Provincial Natives to open their eyes, because as you anywhere is better than Pittsburgh to them, but they've never been anywhere to make such claims.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:57 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Pittsburgh is a seductive city.

If you really want it, I'm sure you can make it back here. It just may take some time.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Aran - I hope you where joking with that....If not you need to get out more....people fawn over and are obsessed with cities like NYC SF LA Miami....but someone in love with the Burgh is crazy?!?! Yea OK!
I interpret Aran to be saying it's not good to be that into any city. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:01 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Which do you love more, Pittsburgh or the husband?

Old 08-29-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Those people are just as broken.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:28 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,020 times
I understand what newhope321 is saying. Granted, I've lived here all my life, but even when I go on vacation or travel--there's no place like Pittsburgh and I'm ready to come back. This is MY city, I don't need to live elsewhere to know that I AM truly a Pittsburgher. If I HAD to move and wasn't sure that'd I would ever make it back...my life definitely wouldn't be the same. I appreciate my surroundings. I sometimes envy people that can city hop for whatever reason...that's not in my make-up. While I may envy people like that, I also sometimes feel bad for them in a way. Can they really call anywhere "home" and say their roots are in {insert city}?

Anyways, newhope321, it's safe to say you're an honorary Pittsburgher! I don't know your personal situation, but I don't see why you won't be able to live here again some day. Put your mind to it, constantly be on the search and something will happen!

Old 09-02-2010, 12:31 AM

78 posts, read 140,829 times
I'm glad I waited to respond to the first post. . . I was first going to respond to Aran and say, "you're right -- I obviously have issues!" But the subsequent post made me think I wasn't so very far off the mark. (To "DaBurgh -- there is nothing on this planet I will ever love more than my amazing husband, but thank you for asking!) (To "youngabe" thank you for understanding what I was trying to say! -- And I LOVE being an "honorary Pittsburgher! Thank you for that honor!)

Old 09-02-2010, 03:31 AM

I am right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh