Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Again last night, I am the slow lane, car parallel to me, jack-wagon on the ramp ASSUMES I'll move over.
In some states, it's actually illegal to move from the right lane to the left lane for a vehicle merging from an entrance ramp. I believe Ohio is one of those states.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:25 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Oh, and Magatu and Curtis, I'm one of the cars blocking you from cutting at a construction merge. It may be stupid that everyone forms one long line, but that's no reason for you to take advantage of the situation and fly down the other lane to cut in front of someone who has been waiting.
Maybe you were the person I passed on the median to get around on Rt. 28 and then rolled my window down to explain to the moron in the pickup to not take both lanes up because people are trying to get off River Road and get onto 28 through three consecutive red lights, so if there isn't enough room those people will have to wait through another light which is amazingly long. There is a HUGE sign that says "Use both lanes to merge point". Duh, what part of that don't you understand. I proceeded all the way up to the merge point as the sign said, waited for the idiot in the pickup and waved him ahead of me showing him that I was using both lanes not to get ahead of people, it was because I was courteous to the poor people trying to get off Washington's Landing through the three lights, which is very difficult. Do I think I made a difference telling that moron or showing him why you should use both lanes? No, because he wasn't intelligent enough to understand the whole concept. He was just saying to himself, duh that person might get ahead of me by two cars duh. I am not going to let him get away with that, duh. Possibly an IQ of about 76.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:29 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Ah, can't pass this thread, it sucks you in.

Merging seems to be a lost art or something never taught. Again last night, I am the slow lane, car parallel to me, jack-wagon on the ramp ASSUMES I'll move over. No turn signal, never looked, I had to floor it to get ahead of him. Drives me nuts, and it's just not in Pgh, I see it all the time. I guess Driver's Ed is no longer taught in High School, no doubt those teachers were making too much money.
I move over if I can or speed up to make sure they don't cut me off. If they cut someone else off that is the way it is. As long as I am not behind the mess that could happen. Some people don't understand the word "yield". It is odd. If it is an aggressive SUV, I don't move over regardless if there is a car next to me or not. I profile people and don't have respect for aggressive SUV drivers. It is kind of fun not showing them any respect. If the merger is driving an economical car, I will do my best to let them in.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Maybe you were the person I passed on the median to get around on Rt. 28 and then rolled my window down to explain to the moron in the pickup to not take both lanes up because people are trying to get off River Road and get onto 28 through three consecutive red lights, so if there isn't enough room those people will have to wait through another light which is amazingly long. There is a HUGE sign that says "Use both lanes to merge point". Duh, what part of that don't you understand. I proceeded all the way up to the merge point as the sign said, waited for the idiot in the pickup and waved him ahead of me showing him that I was using both lanes not to get ahead of people, it was because I was courteous to the poor people trying to get off Washington's Landing through the three lights, which is very difficult. Do I think I made a difference telling that moron or showing him why you should use both lanes? No, because he wasn't intelligent enough to understand the whole concept. He was just saying to himself, duh that person might get ahead of me by two cars duh. I am not going to let him get away with that, duh. Possibly an IQ of about 76.
Curtis, are you trying to insult me by calling me a man with a low IQ who drives a pickup truck?

I think it's funny that you get so riled up that you pass on the median and roll down your window to straighten people out. That's priceless!

Old 03-14-2011, 02:52 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,202 times
Quote:
The merge issue is tricky for some out of towners to understand because in some areas of the country, the highway actually yeilds (slows down) for cars coming off the ramp. In PA, the law is that the ramp yeilds to the highway.
Actually FHWA standards dictate that on ramps must always yield to the travel lanes of a freeway. The only exceptions to this rule is if the on ramp lane becomes a travel lane or if two equally sized travel lanes are merging into one (there was an example of this in Council Bluffs, IA with I-29 and I-80).

As a courtesy, most people just move over if they can to let someone coming from the on ramp to merge easily.

Quote:
In some states, it's actually illegal to move from the right lane to the left lane for a vehicle merging from an entrance ramp. I believe Ohio is one of those states.
I have never heard of this before.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:55 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
IF driving would be done By The Book, everyone would drive the same. Sadly the "book" is forgotten as soon as one has the car keys in hand and the licence in their wallet. After that, it gets personal!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:07 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Sadly the "book" is forgotten as soon as one has the car keys in hand and the licence in their wallet.
I've always thought it would be a good idea for people to have to take some sort of driving test (written) every so often when they renew licenses. It couldn't hurt to review the rules and laws every so often.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:30 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've always thought it would be a good idea for people to have to take some sort of driving test (written) every so often when they renew licenses. It couldn't hurt to review the rules and laws every so often.
I generally agree, except we all know that knowing the law and actually following it out there are two different things.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
-80).

As a courtesy, most people just move over if they can to let someone coming from the on ramp to merge easily.

I think that's part of the problem: People assume they will move over.

If you follow the Rules of the Road, you know that the car merging has the responsibility to do so correctly.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:59 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,202 times
Quote:
I think that's part of the problem: People assume they will move over.

If you follow the Rules of the Road, you know that the car merging has the responsibility to do so correctly.
Yeah, that's always bad especially in a city, and especially in places as cramped as the Parkway East and Ft Pitt Bridge. It's 110% ok to do it when you're out driving in somewhere like OH 11 in Ashtabula County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh