Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Lucky for Brian and his child that he can afford private school.
Indeed.

And the difference between you and me is that I don't think that ends the issue, because I actually care about the other children too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Indeed.

And the difference between you and me is that I don't think that ends the issue, because I actually care about the other children too.
Yeah sure you do. People can type away saying they care. Means nothing. I was a big brother to a kid that is now 26. I couldn't get him through high school, but he finally got a GED and is waiting tables. Better that than a drug dealer. I was also involved with a family of 7 kids and carted them around all over the place and to a youth group which I was involved in. Sure Brian, you can be a pretender on here and call someone like me names or whatever. It doesn't bother me because I have done quite a bit of charity that involved TIME, not just money.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:52 AM

h_curtis, you don't know me, and know virtually nothing about what I have done in my life. Most of the time you can't even remember the few details I have given you, or things like how to spell my name. Which I quite prefer, in fact.

Anyway, I'm judging you by your behavior and statements on this board. And you have made your feelings about poor children quite clear, repeatedly. If you think that is contradicted by your personal behavior, then that is something for you to reflect on--why do you find it so easy to dismiss millions of kids you don't know, when according to you, you have found yourself caring about the kids you do know? Maybe you should think about whether or not some of the kids you don't know are worth caring about as well.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 AM
gg

Quote:
One individual child isn't going to make any difference in the quality of the Wilkinsburg schools...
This is why there is "white flight" and problems with everyone sending their kids to private schools.

What you are doing goes against everything you have been preaching. I was going to let it go, but in reality, you keep thinking things are going to work out in PPS with all the poverty there and the balance if fine, etc. If the way it is now is fine, why are you choosing private schools? Most people can't afford to do that. You are part of white flight in a school district, yet you preach a different tune.

Everyone says, "one kid isn't going to make a difference". That is why the problem exists. Huge quantities of parents say the same thing. My kid won't make a difference and soon you have hundreds saying it. Some go private if they have the money and some move to the burbs. You are just like everyone else that fled. You may still own your home in Regent Square, but you are insulated. No PPS for you. No way. Same as most everyone that cares about education. Just like me. You are no different in any way. Actions speak louder than words. Everyone knows that is true.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:59 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
This reminds me of when I advocate higher taxes to solve our budget crisis, people tell me I'm welcome to send extra money to the IRS - as if this will make a difference! Everybody needs to participate for a real difference to be made.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
What you are doing goes against everything you have been preaching.
No it doesn't, as I have explained repeatedly now. You just don't get it--probably because, as you have admitted, even when you ask me questions, you don't bother reading my answers.

Let's experiment. I have made this point a million times already. Will this time make a difference? I bet not . . .

Quote:
If the way it is now is fine, why are you choosing private schools?
The way things are now is NOT fine. I am proposing large changes to how we educate kids in the Pittsburgh Metro, and you are the one defending the status quo.

Now are you going to pay attention to that answer, or are you going to just ignore it, and keep insisting I am defending the status quo?

I bet you a million dollars you will keep insisting I am defending the status quo. And I don't have to worry about paying up no matter what you do, because as you say, you don't actually read my posts.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 AM
gg

Quote:
h_curtis, you don't know me, and know virtually nothing about what I have done in my life. Most of the time you can't even remember the few details I have given you, or things like how to spell my name. Which I quite prefer, in fact.

Anyway, I'm judging you by your behavior and statements on this board. And you have made your feelings about poor children quite clear, repeatedly. If you think that is contradicted by your personal behavior, then that is something for you to reflect on--why do you find it so easy to dismiss millions of kids you don't know, when according to you, you have found yourself caring about the kids you do know? Maybe you should think about whether or not some of the kids you don't know are worth caring about as well.
There are people that would follow the same philosopher off a cliff and die and no matter what would never be swayed. This is what has happened for the past 30-40 years. Everyone wants to throw money at the same thing over and over again just to keep the peace. It hasn't worked for the past 30+ and it won't work for the next 30+. If you want the city to improve the hard facts say it takes people with means to move into the city and rebuild it. The current population of many areas like East Liberty are not going to rebuild it. They have been there for a very long time and it kept getting worse and worse. People with means are not going to live like East Liberty is. That being said people need to move out. It sounds crewel, but it is just a fact. Tons of poor people going to the same schools as people with means are never going to happen. You are sending your kid to private school, you should know that I speak the truth. Nothing will change if the same path is used forever.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
This reminds me of when I advocate higher taxes to solve our budget crisis, people tell me I'm welcome to send extra money to the IRS - as if this will make a difference! Everybody needs to participate for a real difference to be made.
Indeed. It is also the same as people saying if you really believe in global warming, you shouldn't fly in airplanes. And so on.

Basically, it is cheap snark, used to avoid a serious discussion of the policy issues in question.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Here's an interesting part in the article.
Lobbyists representing the two groups most wedded to the status quo, boards and their administrators, have produced information which defends the status quo.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
True and that everyone starts with individuals who make up "everyone". Talk about a tough nut to crack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh