Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 07:29 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Seriously? Did you sleep through last week? Or just go out of town?

It's actually an interesting data point to add to the endless argument. Apparently we have to go not just days but weeks without clouds for some people to consider it a stretch of "good" weather. 4 days in a row is not at all "good" weather, who knew? Too many dry days in a row would not be good weather if you're expecting to have green trees and grass and other growing things that's for sure.

Grumbling and joking about the weather is one thing. Whining about it is something else....
According to weather.com for my zip code (15219):

In May thus far this is what we've experienced:
  • May 1: 0.14 Inches
  • May 2: 0.11 Inches
  • May 3: 0.51 Inches
  • May 4: 0.02 Inches
  • May 5: No precipitation yet windy with considerable cloudiness
  • May 6: 0.10 Inches
  • May 7: 0.04 Inches
  • May 8: No precipitation yet overcast
  • May 9-11: Okay, so these three days in a row were NICE (dropping my jaw), even if there was also minor measurable precipitation on May 10.
  • May 12: 0.32 Inches
  • May 13: 0.19 Inches
  • May 14: 0.47 Inches
  • May 15: 0.07 Inches
  • May 16: 0.12 Inches
  • May 17: 0.79 Inches

More rain is predicted on an on-and-off basis today, tomorrow, and Friday.

Saturday is projected to be yet another RARE "nice" day.

Then more rain is predicted Sunday through next Friday.

^ Grand total? If the forecast holds true we've only had THREE nice days this month with one more (Saturday) on the way. Complaining that potentially only four of the first 27 days of the month of May to have nice weather isn't unreasonable in my eyes, especially when there was a similar number of "nice" days during the entirety of April after having above-average precipitation since the dawn of the new year.

So, yes, we're almost halfway through 2011, and, yes, I WILL whine that we have yet to have any decent weather. That 3-day stretch in a row last week was quite uncommon (albeit welcomed) for this year thus far, and the fact that the article I read yesterday said to expect more wet weather through summer gives one good reason to complain if they need at least SOME sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
It's just a matter of perspective I guess. I don't look at any day with measurable precip as a total writeoff unless it actually prevents me from doing something that I otherwise would have done.

To me, justifying your statement about decent weather with precip stats is mixing two different things. The stats are what they are. "Decent weather" is subjective. Indeed, even having three clear and dry days in a row isn't enough to pull you away from "we have yet to have any decent weather" even though those days appear to fit your definition of decent weather.

See what a tricky business this is?

Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityrising View Post
complaining that potentially only four of the first 27 days of the month of may to have nice weather isn't unreasonable in my eyes, especially when there was a similar number of "nice" days during the entirety of april after having above-average precipitation since the dawn of the new year.
It's totally unreasonable. It's subjective dammit, when will you transplants learn!??!?!

Old 05-18-2011, 08:10 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It's just a matter of perspective I guess. I don't look at any day with measurable precip as a total writeoff unless it actually prevents me from doing something that I otherwise would have done.
Especially since some of those days had precipitation that was only 0.02 or 0.04 inches. That's rain, I suppose, but it's almost nonexistant. Seriously, why get upset over nothing more than a short lived scattering of raindrops?

Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
For those of us that love fresh, local grown corn on the cob come late July/Early August, this year is going to be either a washout or, at best, very late, if things don't start drying out very soon. I will need to replant some things in the garden due to seeds rotting out...
OK, this is the one complaint I can understand. You do need a few days for seedlings to dry out, or else local produce will be hard to find & expensive this summer.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:18 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
It rained here this morning, with even a rumble of thunder. Right now, the sun is shining and there's just a scattering of high clouds. If you want to hang your hat on statistics, this will go in the books as another dreary day.

Me, I'm headed back outside to enjoy the sunshine...

Old 05-18-2011, 08:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Read more of these Mississippi flood stories:

Vicksburg, Mississippi, waits for record river levels - CNN.com

Do we really have anything to whine about?

I guess the sun might be shining there, even as their homes are under water or washed away. Guess that means they have better weather right now. Woo. Lot of good that will do them.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:22 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
It rained here this morning, with even a rumble of thunder. Right now, the sun is shining and there's just a scattering of high clouds. If you want to hang your hat on statistics, this will go in the books as another dreary day.

Me, I'm headed back outside to enjoy the sunshine...
I admire your optimism, but more rain is on the way for this afternoon.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:37 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
Whine or don't whine, it's your perogative. But it's not just Pittsburgh. It's pretty much the whole midwest and east that has had a rainy spring. The Weather Channel this morning was discussing that there has been an unprecedented number of rainouts in baseball, already 30 MLB games rained out this month. Most of those in other cities besides Pittsburgh. So it's just an unsually stormy pattern that has set up. Yes it sucks, but what can you do about it? Nothing. By this time of year, I'm usually out running or biking most days after work, but not this year. I look forward to some dry stretches of weather so I can get outdoors again. But in the meantime, I'll just wait it out and enjoy some other activites until the weather pattern changes. At least we don't have the tornadoes and extreme flooding that other areas have experienced.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:19 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
On the bright side, I'm looking forward to lower electric bills this summer because I haven't had to fire up the AC yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh