Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 07:26 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I agree there can be no "rational argument" about that claim, because a term like "dreary" is highly subjective.
Uh, actually "dreary" is defined as any instance where you have more than 48.257% of the available hours of drear.

(I just made that up. Couldn't tell, couldya? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 07:39 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Uh, actually "dreary" is defined as any instance where you have more than 48.257% of the available hours of drear.

(I just made that up. Couldn't tell, couldya? )
B..b..but other cities have ample amounts of drear too!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:44 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
While you do have a point, when people say that Pittsburgh's weather is worse than many major metro's in America (and they back it up with stats) people will still flat out deny that.
"Worse" is a subjective term. Such a claim can't be "backed up with stats". If you want to cite some stats about something objective and then say that what the stats reflect means the weather is "worse" for YOU, then fine. Other people may not feel the same way, which should also be fine--again, "worse" is a subjective term.

Keeping this difference between objective and subjective matters straight should allow these endless and pointless conversations to come to a close. But I have given up hope of that every happening.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:44 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Quote:
B..b..but other cities have ample amounts of drear too!

You cheerleader.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
(Tapping feet). STILL waiting for this nice weather I was promised after living here nearly six months! The extended forecast shows rain everyday from today through at least next Tuesday.
Although this has been an unusual spring with respect to rain and temperatures, we have had some warm and sunny days. Future springs are also going to be a mix, even if the ratio is different.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
"Worse" is a subjective term. Such a claim can't be "backed up with stats". If you want to cite some stats about something objective and then say that what the stats reflect means the weather is "worse" for YOU, then fine. Other people may not feel the same way, which should also be fine--again, "worse" is a subjective term.

Keeping this difference between objective and subjective matters straight should allow these endless and pointless conversations to come to a close. But I have given up hope of that every happening.
I guess having less sunlight then many major metros is a plus for some people then. First time I heard that one too. Lack of serotonin and vitamin D is apparently cherished by some folks. You damn City Data vampires.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:58 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Quote:
I guess having less sunlight then many major metros is a plus for some people then. First time I heard that one too. Lack of serotonin and vitamin D is apparently cherished by some folks. You damn City Data vampires.
Personally, for me, Florida is one of the circles of hell. Yes, it gets a lot of sunshine, but I could never live there. I couldn't take that humidity. A lot of people would consider their weather "better", I would not. Just a personal preference. Do I think there are places that have better weather than Pittsburgh? Sure. I also think a lot of places are worse. Some places which other people think are great. But then, I really like London, so go figure.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I guess having less sunlight then many major metros is a plus for some people then. First time I heard that one too.
No, it isn't the first time, because we already went through this. So as not to just repeat myself in every detail, here is what I said before:

//www.city-data.com/forum/19105817-post92.html

To sum up, I don't want to live in a desert, the mix of weather in Pittsburgh is within the broad range which I prefer, and I don't really care exactly where in that range Pittsburgh ends up.

And you can try to argue with me about it all you like, but you will never get me to care about the fact that some other nearby cities (in some of which I have actually lived) have slightly higher percent possible sunlight percentages. Because it is a subjective matter, and I know myself, and I really, truly don't care.

On the other hand, maybe you do care. And I would consider it silly to argue with you about how you feel, because that is subjective.

So end of debate, right?

Probably not.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:06 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,013 times
Well, at least personally speaking, I'm totally fine with our (normal) weather from about April through about November or so. My guess is that we're actually about "average" during those months as far as cloudiness and such. It's nice, and I like it. People who complain about the weather are just complaining.

But let's be totally honest about our feelings towards February, here. I'm sure that's where we lose those 3% of days or whatever it is that makes us more "cloudy" than a handful of other cities. I'm sure it's no coincidence that it's also about that time that I start to harbor some seriously ill will towards a lot of things. I'm guessing people who defend that weather would defend just about anything.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:09 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
Personally, for me, Florida is one of the circles of hell. Yes, it gets a lot of sunshine, but I could never live there. I couldn't take that humidity. A lot of people would consider their weather "better", I would not. Just a personal preference. Do I think there are places that have better weather than Pittsburgh? Sure. I also think a lot of places are worse. Some places which other people think are great. But then, I really like London, so go figure.
Agreed. Also, I think those of us who've said that Pittsburgh weather "isn't that bad" were never trying to imply that it's like San Diego here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh