Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:55 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,701,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
So I moved here six months ago and am STILL waiting to experience decent weather. One day here and there with clear skies, light winds, and no precipitation doesn't cut it for me. What gives? I love this city very much, but I'm starting to regret believing the people on this sub-forum who defended the weather here. We're now into May, and I'm hoping we actually get a decent SPRING before Summer's heat arrives.
I know people make the weather out to be horrible around here all the time, but in my nearly five years living here, it's never been this dismal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 11:37 AM

268 posts, read 374,378 times
Yes, this has been a painfully dismal spring. February brought out some nice sunny days but after that it never got any sunnier. To be fair though, I've visited friends in Philadelphia and family in the Scranton area over Easter and both cities have been getting the same crap we've been getting. It's rained almost everyday in NEPA and its hard for my dad to get out and do work around the yard. Sticks everywhere, damp, and very cloudy haha. Oh well, maybe it will rebound and we'll receive day after day sun throughout summer. I will reiterate and say it's definitely not limited to Pittsburgh at all.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:55 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,033,011 times
I love the rain, too! And I'm happy about the cooler temps. My row-house turns into a brick oven when it is more than 80 degrees out.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:41 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
So I moved here six months ago and am STILL waiting to experience decent weather. One day here and there with clear skies, light winds, and no precipitation doesn't cut it for me. What gives? I love this city very much, but I'm starting to regret believing the people on this sub-forum who defended the weather here. We're now into May, and I'm hoping we actually get a decent SPRING before Summer's heat arrives.
Can't help that you missed a nice summer last year, and doesn't mean that people are necessarily being deceptive somehow. Here is a statement from Kayak Pittsburgh re last summer; they missed only 10 days from May to end of October d/t bad weather:

Closed for the Season!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:45 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Can't help that you missed a nice summer last year, and doesn't mean that people are necessarily being deceptive somehow. Here is a statement from Kayak Pittsburgh re last summer; they missed only 10 days from May to end of October d/t bad weather:

Closed for the Season!
We did have a really nice summer last year. However, we still had 7 months of winter coat weather prior to that and our usual grayness in between. I think his point is that 4 months of good weather out of the year pretty much blows.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:49 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,033,011 times
I'm just thankful that we didn't have another Snowmageddon. I will gladly endure dreary weather in place of 5 feet of snow in 1 day. But I'm from Michigan.

And just be thankful we're not in Alabama.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:52 PM

268 posts, read 374,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
We did have a really nice summer last year. However, we still had 7 months of winter coat weather prior to that and our usual grayness in between. I think his point is that 4 months of good weather out of the year pretty much blows.
We did NOT have 7 months of winter coat weather prior to last summer. In fact, March and April had above avg. temps and were sunny most days. A stark contrast to this year. Fall 2009 was also nice with plenty of sunny days. Nov. 2009, I remembered, had a lot of above avg. temp days too. Last year's "grey" season was much much shorter than this year's. As soon as March 2010 hit, it became instantly sunnier and warmer.

As for this spring, it is extremely lousy and disappointing. No doubt. This is definitely not the norm for Pittsburgh and as I said before, we are not alone for experiencing this depressing crap. Honestly, some people think we live in a secluded, miserable weather bubble that no other city is similar. Very far from the truth.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:06 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I know people make the weather out to be horrible around here all the time, but in my nearly five years living here, it's never been this dismal.
Agree with this, except as I said I'm going to rank it most dismal of the last 7 years. Beyond that is too far to remember and I didn't have to do yard work so I cared less.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:14 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,945 times
Wettest and coldest spring that I can remember.

Soon everyone will be complaining about the heat and will be rushing to local "cooling stations" around the city:

Cooling centers open as muggy warm front totes temps in low 90s - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

The weather will always bring out complaints - that is the only thing you can really count on.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:24 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,947 times
Well, it's not confined to Pittsburgh. The entire eastern half of the country has had wetter than normal weather this spring. Everything sure is green and lush, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh