Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 02:20 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,762,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Skewed downward by the months of January, February, November and December, no doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 04:43 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,525,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Skewed downward by the months of January, February, November and December, no doubt.
which is similar to most cities on that list. several months skew the overall data downward so it doesn't really change the data when comparing

Old 05-16-2011, 06:52 PM

268 posts, read 374,675 times
Default Everywhere is sunny, but HERE!

Quote:
Um, what? All that says is that Pittsburgh is within the same sunshine range as Cleveland and on any given year, can have the same amount or more sunshine than Cleveland. Probably not likely when compared to Philly annually, but definitely seasonally. All you do is nit-pick constantly to try to prove that the weather here is in an isolated weather bubble and sucks. Are you being constructive or trying to be funny? And if we want to nit-pick, fine. Let's nit-pick!
*Pittsburgh has more sunshine than Buffalo in Nov, Dec, and Jan.
*Pgh has more sunshine than Cleveland in November, December, and January.
*Pgh has more sunshine than Binghamton, NY in October and November.
*Pgh has the same amount of sunshine as Allentown, PA in April and July.
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ccd/pctpos.txt

Annual Cloudy Days/Year
*Binghamton, Buffalo, and Syracuse have more cloudy days/year than Pgh.
*Erie, PA has more cloudy days/year than Pgh.
*Cleveland has 1 less cloudy/year than Pgh (damn Cleveland is SOO sunny)
Cloudiness - Mean Number of Days

Oh wait, I forgot that the data collected for all of those cities have different time lengths. Maybe if they showed us data from only past 20 years and the same time length, we can compare them equally.

At least with reddesertfox I get a huge laugh out of his because they're so grossly exaggerated and random there's no point arguing it .

Old 05-16-2011, 07:40 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,236 times
Quote:
we're not in some isolated weather bubble that makes our weather somehow cloudier annually than cities like Syracuse and Cleveland and seasonally like Philly and NYC
Yup proved this to be wrong and you're still trying to spin the issue.

B..b..but look! Although we're cloudier overall, sometimes various places are less cloudy! 50 years isn't enough time for data collection!

Whew boy, it's a never ending cycle of excuses and denials. The second link you just posted shows that we have 203 days annually to Seattle's 201. Whatever point you're trying to get across sure as Hell isn't working.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Yup proved this to be wrong and you're still trying to spin the issue.

B..b..but look! Although we're cloudier overall, sometimes various places are less cloudy! 50 years isn't enough time for data collection!

Whew boy, it's a never ending cycle of excuses and denials. The second link you just posted shows that we have 203 days annually to Seattle's 201. Whatever point you're trying to get across sure as Hell isn't working.
You obviously didn't get the point, hence the thick skull . Your assertions make no sense at all. Why don't you pack your bags and lather up in sunscreen in sunny Seattle, because 2 days difference is noticeable. Or better yet, live awhile in these nearby locations with supposedly more sunshine and come back and tell us how sunny it is. It would be impossible to notice subjectively. Obviously, you haven't traveled much. I'm sure someone else will agree with me and understand exactly what I'm getting across here.

How about they take all the data from the same length of time as opposed to different lengths for different cities and see how they compare? There's no excuses and denials. YOU SPIN it by taking such marginal differences, like the tiniest fraction, just to prove it is cloudier than all of those places. It's nit-picking and annoying. How in the world can someone notice a difference in 5-10 cloudy days less annually? What the hell is the difference between 201 days in Seattle and 203 in Pittsburgh? What does that prove?

The data is designed as a guide, not as the 10 Commandments or 100% factual. It's perfectly fine to look at the data and try to interpret it. Try to understand the methodologies. I don't know the methodologies, but I'm smarter not to assume that these rankings are set in stone or that anyone would notice the difference. You want unbiased comparisons, a better indication would be data collected from the SAME AMOUNT OF TIME and more recently. BTW, Seattle has two different stats -- 201 and 225.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:31 PM

I still need to send that e-mail to get a better perspective on their classifications. For example...
1. How is a day classified if it starts sunny in the morning, but becomes overcast or stormy in the afternoon, or vice versa?

2. What's the difference between "partly sunny" and "partly cloudy"? Is there one?

3. Would the sky be classified as "mostly cloudy if an extensive layer of high cirrostratus -- the clouds that give the sun and moon halos, rather than obscuring them in any way -- covers most of the sky?
I've always wondered.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:08 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike02 View Post
You obviously didn't get the point, hence the thick skull . Your assertions make no sense at all. Why don't you pack your bags and lather up in sunscreen in sunny Seattle, because 2 days difference is noticeable. Or better yet, live awhile in these nearby locations with supposedly more sunshine and come back and tell us how sunny it is. It would be impossible to notice subjectively. Obviously, you haven't traveled much. I'm sure someone else will agree with me and understand exactly what I'm getting across here.

How about they take all the data from the same length of time as opposed to different lengths for different cities and see how they compare? There's no excuses and denials. YOU SPIN it by taking such marginal differences, like the tiniest fraction, just to prove it is cloudier than all of those places. It's nit-picking and annoying. How in the world can someone notice a difference in 5-10 cloudy days less annually? What the hell is the difference between 201 days in Seattle and 203 in Pittsburgh? What does that prove?

The data is designed as a guide, not as the 10 Commandments or 100% factual. It's perfectly fine to look at the data and try to interpret it. Try to understand the methodologies. I don't know the methodologies, but I'm smarter not to assume that these rankings are set in stone or that anyone would notice the difference. You want unbiased comparisons, a better indication would be data collected from the SAME AMOUNT OF TIME and more recently. BTW, Seattle has two different stats -- 201 and 225.
Hey look, a typical Pittsburgher "if you don't like it move somewhere else" attitude followed up with some personal attacks and an inability to admit that they're wrong. Classy!

I've visited 6 countries and 12 different states which isn't world traveler status I admit, but far more than LOL NEVER TRAVELED HERP DERP. The only other place I've lived in was Limerick, Ireland and I felt right at home with their weather. Feel free to add some more spin/personal attacks/nitpicking, you're sure doing a good job of perpetrating the Pittsburgh "holier than thou" stereotype.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:46 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Seattle is talked about by many as being a great place to live. Not exactly a sunny place. I am not liking this amount of rain, but I don't care for tons of sun either. I enjoy overcast days. Lighting is nice and not too hard on eyes and skin. Not sure why most people feel sunny days are the best? I enjoy them, but like most any weather, except this amount of rain. It is really getting old!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Seattle is talked about by many as being a great place to live. Not exactly a sunny place. I am not liking this amount of rain, but I don't care for tons of sun either. I enjoy overcast days. Lighting is nice and not too hard on eyes and skin. Not sure why most people feel sunny days are the best? I enjoy them, but like most any weather, except this amount of rain. It is really getting old!
Seattle and Pittsburgh, along with Syracuse, Buffalo, Cleveland, Columbus, Binghamton, etc, are all on the low end of annual sunshine. That is a fact. The order of rankings are not necessarily set in stone. That's the point I've been trying to get across, but of course I'm a stereotypical Pittsburgher. Oh btw, Aqua Teen Carl, I was not born and raised here. Nice try though.

HowStuffWorks "Maps of United States Annual Sunshine"
Scroll down and click on U.S. Annual sunshine map and it will load. Notice the gray color band that includes all cities in the same range as Pgh. There's other maps you can search for different months and seasons. Just google it.

For me personally, I'm not a fan of the cloudy winters. I grew up in the northeastern corner of the state so I'm use to it. But the other seasons, spring/summer/fall, receive half or more sunshine making it a regular appearance and a lot more enjoyable.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I've visited 6 countries and 12 different states which isn't world traveler status I admit, but far more than LOL NEVER TRAVELED HERP DERP. The only other place I've lived in was Limerick, Ireland and I felt right at home with their weather. Feel free to add some more spin/personal attacks/nitpicking, you're sure doing a good job of perpetrating the Pittsburgh "holier than thou" stereotype.
Hey, I can play that game too! I've been to 34 different states in my lifetime, as well as international cities like Toronto, Montreal, Taipei, Hong Kong and Ho Chi Minh City! And you know what? I still don't see what the big ****in' deal is about the weather in Pittsburgh!

I honestly looked for a source online and can't find it, but I remember hearing on one of the cable news channels a few years ago that Pittsburgh had both the lowest rate of severe weather-related insurance claims and damages per capita of all United States metropolitan areas with 1,000,000+ population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh