Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:05 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Same can be said about the "Village of East Side".
Yep. I'm not all thrilled about it as a marketing term to begin with, which is why I am even less thrilled to see it creeping into "official" language (in this case, from the PPS).

Of course I get the fact that the name "East Liberty" still strikes fear into the hearts of certain people. Fortunately, I think East Liberty's brand image is rapidly changing, and so I hope these "official" endorsements of the "East Side" marketing concept are only a passing fad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 01:07 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yep. I'm not all thrilled about it as a marketing term to begin with, which is why I am even less thrilled to see it creeping into "official" language (in this case, from the PPS).

Of course I get the fact that the name "East Liberty" still strikes fear into the hearts of certain people. Fortunately, I think East Liberty's brand image is rapidly changing, and so I hope these "official" endorsements of the "East Side" marketing concept are only a passing fad.

North Shore!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
North Shore!
Ugh, exactly.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Thing about North Shore is that it's not just a marketing term, it's an official, city-designated neighborhood name. It would be interesting to know when it earned that designation.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:34 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,449 times
Quote:
Same can be said about the "Village of East Side". The shopping center used to be called East Liberty Station.

When the school moved from Oakland the district did not want to say we are moving to East Liberty. This would have scared off some of the white parents who are not familiar with the area. Reizenstein / Obama is in a nuetral area and has always been safe.
Not to split hairs, but Reizenstein/Obama is actually in Shadyside, as is the Shakespeare Giant Eagle. Bakery Square is in Larimer, and the Village of East Side (Trader Joe's, etc.) and Target are both in East Liberty. This may explain in part the search for a single geographical description of these areas.

Last edited by onwardandupward; 10-18-2011 at 01:53 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Thing about North Shore is that it's not just a marketing term, it's an official, city-designated neighborhood name. It would be interesting to know when it earned that designation.
After mayor Murphy started on the stadium projects.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
Not to split hairs, but Reizenstein/Obama is actually in Shadyside, as is the Shakespeare Giant Eagle. Bakery Square is in Larimer, and the Village of East Side (Trader Joe's, etc.) and Target are both in East Liberty. This may explain part of the search for a single geographical description of these areas.

You are correct. When I attended Reizenstein we were told that we were in Shadyside not East Liberty. I attended Reizenstien when it was a science and math magnet. I remember when the gated townhouse community and east liberty station was constructed. I also remember the Nabisco plant and the smell going from sour to sweet during the course of the day.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:29 PM

482 posts, read 1,234,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

It's really unfortunate that 'East Liberty' is still getting such a bad wrap after all that is going on in the neighborhood. Then again, I don't think it gets enough positive publicity yet, or when it does people don't believe how much it has changed.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It would be interesting to know when it earned that designation.
I believe it happened circa 1969. Here is a link about the neighborhood so-named from the 1977 Pittsburgh Neighborhood Atlas, and it describes the process by which the neighborhoods were defined and got their names (PDF):

http://www.ucsur.pitt.edu/files/nrep...PNA%201977.pdf

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Neighborhood Alliance was formed in 1969 by a number of neighborhood organizations that were concerned with improving the city's neighborhoods and their relations with city government. The members of the Alliance recognized that in order to negotiate effectively with city government about such major concerns as public service needs, capital improvements and transportation, it was necessary to obtain accurate, up-to-date information about the neighborhoods. Unfortunately, this information was not available. To remedy this situation, the Alliance developed its Pittsburgh Neighborhood Atlas project. First, the boundaries of the city's neighborhoods had to be determined. The Pittsburgh Neighborhood Atlas asked people attending community meetings to name and describe the boundaries of the neighborhoods in which they lived. This information was also provided by an Atlas-initiated survey. Responses from every voting district of the city were analyzed to assure citizen involvement at the neighborhood level. Seventy-eight neighborhoods were thus identified, each made up of one or more whole voting districts in order to comply with provisions in Pittsburgh's home rule charter relating to the election of community advisory boards.
I've found scattered references to "the north shore" of the Allegheny River from before 1969, but never a neighborhood called the North Shore.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:46 PM

116 posts, read 212,311 times
Absolutely hate the East Side name, never heard an actual person call it that though.

An ex of mine worked at Whole Foods when it first opened. They were instructed to tell people that they were located in Shadyside. They probably don't do that anymore. And generally, I've noticed businesses, apartment ads, etc using the East Liberty name to their advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh