Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:58 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Including many very large corporations, again calling into serious doubt your suggestion this is about size rather than type.

Any well-run company, regardless of size, will pay a premium to locate operations Downtown if, but only if, they get a compensating benefit from doing so. Some operations of some companies will get such a benefit, and others will not, and that explains what can be observed in the location decisions of companies of all sizes.
Sure Brain, whatever you say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 02:14 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,693 times
It's pretty simple where companies are willing to set up shop. If it's a retail business they want to have access to as many people as possible. If it's an office environment that can be setup anywhere they want to setup in a place that's as cheap as possible. Not much more.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:18 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
It's pretty simple where companies are willing to set up shop. If it's a retail business they want to have access to as many people as possible. If it's an office environment that can be setup anywhere they want to setup in a place that's as cheap as possible. Not much more.
Yeah, there are sure tons of industrial parks that have piles of office space for those companies that don't want to pay city prices. Bottom lines are important to all companies last I checked.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:36 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
Quote:
If it's an office environment that can be setup anywhere they want to setup in a place that's as cheap as possible.
Again, the best office location very much depends on the kind of business, because some get a benefit from--and indeed need to get a benefit from--locating in CBDs. Others benefit from being near hospitals or universities, and so forth.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:49 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I ate there today, and asked why they weren't open over the weekend. The waitress told me they wanted to be open, but didn't have some official sticker they need, and without which they'd be fined.
That's interesting. I did notice that it said hours 11-6:30, M-F and "for now" was written right on the sign.

I wasn't going to eat there today, but when I went over to Market Square I wandered up to that corner and there was no line because it was late. Oh well.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:27 PM
gg

Quote:

Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Never wanted this to be a burbs vs the city type thing, only to say how much the city has been alive the last couple weeks. We'll never have a nightlife like Chicago or NY, especially during the week, but the weekends lately have been great.

As to those that dislike the suburbs, especially Cranberry, they must be doing something right, it's one of the fastest growing communities in the state.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:59 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Cranberry, they must be doing something right, it's one of the fastest growing communities in the state.
They just do that because of costs. Wish Pittsburgh would take some lessons.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,973,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Not many medium and small companies headquartered downtown. Just have a look at all the RIDC Parks and South Point and more that are around that are headquarters. Just the way it is Brian and many of these companies have been around a very long time, so they must have been pretty smart. Bottom line is, there isn't much in the way of advantages being downtown unless you are the likes of UPMC or PNC. Those are NO small to medium sized. Starting a company downtown would be tough. No thanks.
I've been working for local tech startups for the last 13 years and they've all been located within the city limits. The reason for that is obvious, that's where it's easiest for all of the employees to get to. If you put your company in Cranberry, then you can only attract employees who live in the north hills, no one else will want to trek up there. If my company, which is on the northside, would move to Cranberry, it would lose 1/2 its very hard to replace employees. Did you happen to notice where Google moved last year? Did they move to the 'burbs? No, they moved to East Liberty because a huge amount of the high-tech community lives in the east end near the universities.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:50 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
I concur wholeheartedly with GeneW's post. Living in the East End what would truly incentivize me to commute out to the western 'burbs like Robinson Township or Moon Township? How many people will want to commute from Mt. Lebanon to Cranberry Twp.? How many people will want to commute from Kennedy Twp. to Monroeville? At least locating in the city expands your possibilities to draw from the greatest talent pool possible.

As for me I'll continue to sell fruit and live below the poverty line as I pass up opportunity after opportunity in the suburbs to avoid miserable commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh