Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:06 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
You're only considering federal withholding. In Buffett's article, he is considering all federal taxes. So, 17% is the percentage of his income that is paid in all federal taxes, including Social Security and Medicare. My rate for 2010 was 19.31%. I would assume that most people would be in a similar range.
There is a maximum taxable earnings amount for Social Security, $106,800 so that could skew Mr Buffet's effective tax rate downward. I guess they could treat SS taxes like any taxable income. There is no maximum taxable earnings on medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 10:12 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Now that is amazing and something I didn't know. Sure seem fair though. I mean the super wealthy not paying the same rate as the middle class. Ouch! Nice that the fat cats can enjoy that perk.
Yeah...but you don't get benefits from SS over the 102k mark either....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
The Social Security portion of FICA tax is 6.2%. The Medicare portion is 1.45%. Combined that is 7.65%. If your claiming to pay 10% total, towards both income and FICA taxes, that would mean your effective federal income tax rate is 2.35%. You're either not including FICA taxes in your 10% figure, or you're being too vague with your figures for us to be able to follow your logic.

Regardless, the point is that most people pay more than 17% in total federal taxes (income and FICA). Buffett and many other members of the ultra-rich do not.

Long term capital gains and dividends are taxed at 15%. Neither are subject to FICA (SS & Medicare) taxes. Short term gains are treated as ordinary income and are subject to FICA taxes. (I would guess that short term gains account for the additional 2.4% in Buffett's 17.4% figure.)

Indeed. Perhaps that would behoove you, too.
You really need to look into tax deductions. Here is a hint: an LLC only costs abotu $1,500 to start, and you can easily save that amount in legal writeoffs.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
There is a maximum taxable earnings amount for Social Security, $106,800 so that could skew Mr Buffet's effective tax rate downward. I guess they could treat SS taxes like any taxable income. There is no maximum taxable earnings on medicare.
Buffett claims his effective federal tax rate, including medicare and social security taxes (Also referred to as FICA taxes), to be 17.4%. If all of his income came from long term capital gains and qualified dividends, it would be 15%. Knowing that he only takes a salary of about $150k, it is a reasonable assumption that the additional 2.4% is primarily due to short term capital gains. Assuming 5-10% of his income came from short term capital gains (because this is the ratio of short term gains that would result in an effective rate of 17.4%), his Medicare contribution would be 1.45%, but his social security contribution would only be 0.0159%.

Regardless, the point is that there's not really any "skewing" going on here. The effective tax rate that he's claiming looks low because it is low compared to most workers, which is the point he's arguing in his op-ed.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:01 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
A flat tax (without any deductions or so called loopholes) would require high income earners to pay taxes in such a way that no one could complain about preferential treatment for the rich, but would probably never fly as it would also require all the people paying no taxes to pay up as well.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
A flat tax (without any deductions or so called loopholes) would require high income earners to pay taxes in such a way that no one could complain about preferential treatment for the rich, but would probably never fly as it would also require all the people paying no taxes to pay up as well.
True. Who would we all blame for our lack of success if the wealthy no longer had loopholes?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:07 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
There are many justifications for progressive taxation, but why bother learning anything about them, right?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
There are many justifications for progressive taxation, but why bother learning anything about them, right?
Oh, personally I have researched the justifications for progressive taxation, but they all seemed like people with less money whining about not having as much as those with more.

I personally don't support policies that are in place for the sole reason of 'he makes more than me and that can't be fair!'. I prefer to study hard, work hard, and make more for myself.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:21 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Oh, personally I have researched the justifications for progressive taxation, but they all seemed like people with less money whining about not having as much as those with more.

I personally don't support policies that are in place for the sole reason of 'he makes more than me and that can't be fair!'. I prefer to study hard, work hard, and make more for myself.
Adam Smith thought it was a good idea.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Adam Smith thought it was a good idea.
I think the recent financial crises should have showed anyone that Friedman and co. got it wrong regarding economic theory...

Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I see the gradual decline of the middle class.

The rich are getting richer and the middle class, the working class, and the poor are getting poorer.

We are slowly inching our way back to the year 1890.

Not only do I see the decline in unions and collective bargaining, but I can see things like Social Security, Unemployment Compensation, Medicare, paid sick leave and vacations, etc. begin to disappear. It won't happen overnight, but it's happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh