Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 AM

780 posts, read 1,385,793 times

Advertisements

Democrats fall short in Wisconsin recall elections - politics - More politics - msnbc.com

Think there will a renewed effort to "break" unions collective bargaining power in PA/PGH now that it seems the "backlash" as some members on here have discussed, does not really seem to be there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
Um, two Republican state senators who were elected in 2008 (an overall Democratic year) just got recalled. I think there has only been something like a dozen recalls of state legislators in the entire history of the U.S. until now.

It is true the Democrats happened to need a net of three successful recalls to take back control of the Wisconsin Senate, so in that sense they fell short of their goal (note, by the way, that only half the Senate was eligible for recall). But if you were a state legislator in another state watching this process, I don't think you would take particular comfort in that fact.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:27 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,873,372 times
I see no problem with crippling unions that are strangling industry.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
Since this is apparently going to be a "bash the unions" thread, I'd note the following study:

Labor's Decline and Wage Inequality - NYTimes.com

The basic result:

Quote:
The study, “Unions, Norms and the Rise in U.S. Wage Inequality,” found that the decline in union power and density since 1973 explained a third of the increase in wage inequality among men since then, and a fifth of the increased inequality among women.
Part of what is interesting about the study is they found that not only did unions increase union wages, but they also increased non-union wages.

Personally, I think unions can be and have been problematic in various ways. On the other hand, the fundamental logic of collective bargaining remains pretty sound. I don't know if it is possible or desirable to turn back the clock, but I think all workers should think carefully about the implications of a world in which no workers are collectively bargaining.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,360,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
I see no problem with crippling unions that are strangling industry.

Odd choice of words in a Pittsburgh forum.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:29 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,714,398 times
A unionized public employee, a Tea Partier, and a CEO are sitting at a table. In the middle of the table sits a plate of a dozen cookies. The CEO reaches across, takes 11 cookies, looks at the tea partier and says,"Look out for that union guy, he wants a piece of your cookie."

Old 08-10-2011, 10:56 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,858 times
I see no problem with supporting unions (who helped create a middle class in this country and are one of the few voices for the middle class) from attacks from political extremists and from industry who at times wants to strangle the middle class.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:57 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
A unionized public employee, a Tea Partier, and a CEO are sitting at a table. In the middle of the table sits a plate of a dozen cookies. The CEO reaches across, takes 11 cookies, looks at the tea partier and says,"Look out for that union guy, he wants a piece of your cookie."

Repped.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,160,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
a unionized public employee, a tea partier, and a ceo are sitting at a table. In the middle of the table sits a plate of a dozen cookies. The ceo reaches across, takes 11 cookies, looks at the tea partier and says,"look out for that union guy, he wants a piece of your cookie."
:d

Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I see no problem with supporting unions (who helped create a middle class in this country and are one of the few voices for the middle class) from attacks from political extremists and from industry who at times wants to strangle the middle class.
BUT THEY MAKE TOO MUCH MONEY (ignore CEOs awarded for failure) THEIR BENEFITS ARE TOO GOOD (cry about someone else's benefits instead of fighting for your own) AND THEY'RE ALL CORRUPT (disregard rampant corporate corruption that has driven our country into the ground)HOW CAN YOU SUPPORT THEM!?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh