Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,873,147 times

Advertisements

I mostly listen to 104.7 and 96.9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:39 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,232,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
True, but WDVE's playlist back then included more forgotten about obscure songs and album tracks.
WDVE is a sorry excuse for a radio station. The city has changed, but WDVE refuses to. They are too worried about about playing a request for Skynyrd to appease some yinzers "buildin' a haus" rather than becoming more of a diverse rock station that also appeases East End and South Side hipsters. Rock is a broad category and includes more than Floyd, Zeppelin, and Rush. The station is geared towards appeasing the yinzer, both in music and in it's programming format. It is pathetic.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:08 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
WDVE is a sorry excuse for a radio station. The city has changed, but WDVE refuses to.
They don't change because they don't have to. They are consistently among the most listened-to stations. They make plenty of money, so why change?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:25 AM

14 posts, read 33,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
I mostly listen to 104.7 and 96.9
Of course you do

Old 09-07-2011, 09:44 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,886,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
WDVE is a sorry excuse for a radio station. The city has changed, but WDVE refuses to. They are too worried about about playing a request for Skynyrd to appease some yinzers "buildin' a haus" rather than becoming more of a diverse rock station that also appeases East End and South Side hipsters. Rock is a broad category and includes more than Floyd, Zeppelin, and Rush. The station is geared towards appeasing the yinzer, both in music and in it's programming format. It is pathetic.
It'd be a much worse business model to try to appeal to a tiny hipster audience which would in turn alienate most of your other listeners as hipster preferred music is an acquired taste to put it nicely.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:54 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,633,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
It'd be a much worse business model to try to appeal to a tiny hipster audience which would in turn alienate most of your other listeners as hipster preferred music is an acquired taste to put it nicely.
I don't see no reason why a rock station cannot appeal to both ends of the spectrum. How many times can you play "Iron Man," "Another Brick in the Wall," "Freebird" or "Tom Sawyer" until you get sick of them? It won't hurt them to play Kings of Leon or Muse every now and then. They don't if the listeners won't like it until they test it out first. The problem is the listeners aren't open minded enough to try anything new.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:08 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,886,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I don't see no reason why a rock station cannot appeal to both ends of the spectrum. How many times can you play "Iron Man," "Another Brick in the Wall," "Freebird" or "Tom Sawyer" until you get sick of them? It won't hurt them to play Kings of Leon or Muse every now and then. They don't if the listeners won't like it until they test it out first. The problem is the listeners aren't open minded enough to try anything new.
I believe kings of Leon are played on wdve; it's not 100% classic rock on there.....and by the way, kings of leon are definitely not hipster music & in fact Caleb Followill said in an interview with rolling stone "I hate f***ing hipsters" lol

Old 09-07-2011, 10:09 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
Quote:
What are the Top Ten Songs Hipsters Love?

Top Ten Albums Hipsters Love
?

I'm serious. I listen mostly to classical and 1960s music. I would really like to know.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:12 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,360,154 times
Quote:

Not to mention that if you give it a few years, most of it will be exposed as the disposable crap that it is and discarded/ridiculed/forgotten. Some of it could stay and recognized as actually being good. It's like how people see themselves in yearbook photos 15 years later and wonder what they were thinking.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:52 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,633,536 times
Quote:
I believe kings of Leon are played on wdve; it's not 100% classic rock on there.....and by the way, kings of leon are definitely not hipster music & in fact Caleb Followill said in an interview with rolling stone "I hate f***ing hipsters" lol
I love KOL, but I think his quote is funny (in a contradictory fashion) considering KOL's shows have indie bands as thier opening act. Not only that, they are at Bonnaroo every year (hipster heaven and indie bands galore.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh