Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 05:58 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
I can remember swinging on them when I was small, and smelling the climbing-roses covering a lattice near the front steps.
I hadn't remembered the roses until I saw your porch and the memory just popped in there.
I've always been fascinated by the connection between smell and memory. We have some forsythia near the porch that I think may become an equivalent for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywithbraddock View Post
What a wonderful home, Brian! And let me thank you, as a fellow citizen, for taking the time and spending the money to add an ornamental fence to your property. I know the added cost and maintenance are hard to justify sometimes. But those decorative touches add to the public space around your home as much as they add to your home's beauty. So thanks from those of us on the outside, looking in.
No problem! As you may know the old fence was falling apart and didn't really fit the house anyway. The design is actually shamelessly ripped off from a fence my brother used for his house in Portland, Oregon. We were able to work with our usual contractor who knew a guy who does stuff like this (I believe he is actually a German immigrant), and it was actually a combination of stock parts and custom parts that didn't end up being much more costly than a higher-end stock fence.

Anyway, we liked how it tied in with the house, and I am glad it has received it a good reception in the neighborhood (at least as far as what people are willing to say to us!).

Old 09-23-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I have to agree that the fence is really attractive. So much better than chain link!
The aforementioned contractor tried to sell us on vinyl originally, which would definitely be the smart thing to do, but we really wanted something that tied into the house. Of course when we are replacing it down the road I am sure we will be thinking about that decision, but we are enjoying it for now.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madg0at View Post
Brian, all I have to say is wow! I love the colors you chose, the fabulous porch and what looks like a roomy back yard - I'd love to entertain out there!
So we have mostly been having kid parties (there is just enough room for a slip-and-slide, oversize kiddie pool, and squirt gun fights) . . . but I am sure our rental rates would be competitive!

Old 09-23-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
It's hard to see all the beautiful detail the house has in the pictures.
As you know, the original builder really went all-out with the materials (for the benefit of others, supposedly he was the president of a Wilkinsburg bank). Even the fuse board for the original knob and tube is like a work of art (albeit deadly-looking art).

And fortunately, only a couple areas inside have been extensively renovated (basically the kitchen and master bath), although we believe some of the currently-painted millwork may have been stained originally.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Love your house, Brian. I believe I've passed it many times too. Most of the houses in your neighborhood have great architecture. Love the diversity of styles.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Most of the houses in your neighborhood have great architecture. Love the diversity of styles.
It is one of the things we really like about our neighborhood as well. Being developed over a considerable span of time obviously helps, but you can also tell it for some reason attracted people who wanted to do something a little different with their place--it is like dozens of distinct versions of somebody's dream home.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
I have to agree that the fence is really attractive. So much better than chain link!
Someone put up a chain link fence down the street from me last month. Talk about butt ugly.

No, actually, it's uglier than a butt, some of which really aren't that bad looking.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:39 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Brian, you should consider nominating your house as a landmark with PHLF. It looks significant, architecturally, to me.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Brian, you should consider nominating your house as a landmark with PHLF. It looks significant, architecturally, to me.
But then what happens when we want to tear it down to build ourselves one of these?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh