Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:40 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times

Advertisements

The arts are huge here, and more people attend arts events than all the pro sports combined, it's just that sports gets all the attention. The Cultural District downtown is packed on weekend nights when all the theaters are open. Additionally, there is art and culture in many neighborhoods, from gallery crawls to poetry and play readings in coffee houses, dance performances, alternative theater in various outdoor spaces, art galleries, and music venues. Also lots of festivals downtown and in the neighborhoods, and the traditional county fairs in late summer and early fall in just about every county around Pittsburgh. Also lots of outdoor activities year-round: biking (great trail system), hiking water skiing, snow skiing, and white water rafting. It's tough to be bored around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 06:51 AM

354 posts, read 475,664 times
Drinking. This is the obvious answer. Although as a cultured drunk, I'll echo the arts sentiment. The theatre is very good here, and we get a number of solid off-broadway productions shortly after they leave "The City". Plus, avante garde and rust belt chic are like red beans and rice, imo.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:38 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,644 times
Biking, hiking, salads with fries on them, huge fish sammiches, rivers, inclines, awesome neighborhoods, bridges, parks, low cost of living, museums, and fireworks (of course).

Old 09-21-2011, 08:20 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Ah yes, drinking (which goes hand-in-hand with both arts and sports).

My only complaint about the drinking scene is that I think we are underweight in local products, although that is starting to turn around a bit.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Biking, hiking, salads with fries on them, huge fish sammiches, rivers, inclines, awesome neighborhoods, bridges, parks, low cost of living, museums, and fireworks (of course).

Old 09-21-2011, 09:00 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
My only complaint about the drinking scene is that I think we are underweight in local products, although that is starting to turn around a bit.
It's certainly not underweight in selection, but definitely underweight in locals who are drinking local products. Between East End, Penn, Duquesene, Full Pint, All Saints, Beaver County Brewing, Boyd & Blair vodka, Wigle Whiskey, and Laurel Highlands Meadery we have a lot of local booze to choose from. Yet how many Pittsburghers (aside from the internet savvy ones) have these products at home?

Old 09-21-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Between East End, Penn, Duquesene, Full Pint, All Saints, Beaver County Brewing, Boyd & Blair vodka, Wigle Whiskey, and Laurel Highlands Meadery we have a lot of local booze to choose from.
I appreciate their contributions, but for a city of Pittsburgh's size, I think that is a really short list. I realize we will never be a wine country city, but we could have a lot more breweries and distilleries.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:21 AM

This may or may not count as a sport, but we are also big into golf (#2 after Dallas):

Metro Golf: The Top 20 Cities For Golf: Golf Digest

Old 09-21-2011, 09:28 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
It's certainly not underweight in selection, but definitely underweight in locals who are drinking local products. Between East End, Penn, Duquesene, Full Pint, All Saints, Beaver County Brewing, Boyd & Blair vodka, Wigle Whiskey, and Laurel Highlands Meadery we have a lot of local booze to choose from. Yet how many Pittsburghers (aside from the internet savvy ones) have these products at home?
I've been to places like Church Brew Works and the Hofbrauhaus (with house beers) and overheard people upset that they couldn't get a Coors Light, so there is a ways to go.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:13 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've been to places like Church Brew Works and the Hofbrauhaus (with house beers) and overheard people upset that they couldn't get a Coors Light, so there is a ways to go.
Indeed, I can't wait to see how people are going to react at my wedding once they realize the beer selections there are going to be from East End kegs. Sadly though, this isn't a local thing as people nationwide will prefer a mass-produced beer over a local one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh