Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
That's what this guys sayin about what you pay where you live
My place has been paid off long ago. It's damn cheap to live in the hood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 01:43 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
That horrible North Side grocery is too far for the downtown people to walk to. They would need to get in the car.
What are you saying? People don't walk across bridges? Goodness, what a society.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
That's the real kicker. A walk to work would be the biggest selling point for these places, and rightfully so.
Yep. According to the survey by the PDP, proximity to work/school was easily the #1 reason people decided to live Downtown. Convenience/central location was #2, and city living was only #3.

In other words, location, location, and (OK, something else).

Old 09-22-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Come on, that's insane.
What amuses me is that he is arguing a bridged river shouldn't be considered a barrier--then he acts just like a short walk over a bridge is in fact an insurmountable barrier.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:08 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
What are you saying? People don't walk across bridges? Goodness, what a society.
In Pittsburgh you're really asking this question? LOL!

Quote:
East End is way too far from Downtown to be considered a walkable grocery store.
Who said anything about going to the East End? I said that via Overpasses Downtown is cut off from the East End...The Strip is considered an East End Neighborhood not Downtown....

Quote:
If you go to DC or NYC there are tons of grocery stores to choose from. Really countless. Pittsburgh's downtown? None.
Considering I live in NYC....believe it or not below 110th street in Manhattan there are no Giant Eagle size Grocery Stores.....Yes there are a bunch of IGA style stores, and if you'd read my original statement I said Downtown doesn't need anything more than IGA.

Quote:
Not every a little meat market with some produce. Bottom line. Downtown isn't ready yet I guess. On the other hand, if you want quiet and want to live in the city. Downtown might be great. You can watch the tumbleweeds roll by like a ghost town.
an Overstatement on your part.....

Old 09-22-2011, 02:14 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It isn't like that grocery is right on the other side of the bridge. The bridge means nothing. It is the distance and carrying groceries. Something you probably wouldn't understand. Again, you just like to argue till death and leave out important parts to try and save face. Bridge is only a sidewalk. Distance is distance. That is the point. Not the bridge. Amazing how you will just keep going and going even though you know you are wrong.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
so it's settled, carl and curtis don't like downtown

Old 09-22-2011, 02:19 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Considering I live in NYC....believe it or not below 110th street in Manhattan there are no Giant Eagle size Grocery Stores.....Yes there are a bunch of IGA style stores, and if you'd read my original statement I said Downtown doesn't need anything more than IGA.
What about the big Whole Foods in Union Square. That is where I get my Innis and Gunn Beer when I visit! Great! What about the Trader Joes on 6th and 24thish? I have been in there and it is pretty big. I don't like going to these places because the crowds are huge, but I have to have my Innis and Gunn beer! I can't get that in Pittsburgh!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:20 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,619 times
Quote:
It isn't like that grocery is right on the other side of the bridge. The bridge means nothing. It is the distance and carrying groceries. Something you probably wouldn't understand. Again, you just like to argue till death and leave out important parts to try and save face. Bridge is only a sidewalk. Distance is distance. That is the point. Not the bridge. Amazing how you will just keep going and going even though you know you are wrong.
But the Giant Eagle is just on the other side of that bridge. It's 0.8 miles. An easy walk or a quick bus ride, which is consistent with a lot of established neighborhoods.

Also, I'd just like to add that the Giant Eagle in question is slightly further from my neighborhood (Mexican War Streets) than it is from Downtown. I've never heard anyone in the War Streets complain about there not being a grocery store nearby, and it certainly does not seem to be holding the neighborhood back.

Last edited by ML North; 09-22-2011 at 02:50 PM..

Old 09-22-2011, 06:21 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
But the Giant Eagle is just on the other side of that bridge. It's 0.8 miles. An easy walk or a quick bus ride, which is consistent with a lot of established neighborhoods.
No it is on N. Canal Street, not right across the bridge. If you live in Gateway Towers that is over a mile walk one way and coming back with groceries.

There should at least be a little market in downtown. Heck, Aspinwall has that huge Giant Eagle in walking distance to much of the town and Community Market just down the street, which isn't a walk, but my point is, they still have a farmers market that is open most of the year AND Brilliant Market that has meats and veggies, etc., etc. Downtown? Nothing. It really is odd. Doesn't anyone eat at Allegheny Towers? Maybe they are all retired and they go shopping in the middle of the day at the Strip?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh