Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:38 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,951,969 times

Advertisements

Do you see anything happening next year with them? This season was nothing short of amazing before the break. Not so much afterward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 10:41 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,554,412 times
Both St. Louis and Milwaukee will lose franchise players for next year, and La Russa will be gone. Don't see either Cincy or the Cubs improving themselves.

The only thing holding the Pirates back will be (in)consistency, IMHO.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:49 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,237,890 times
Their young players like Andrew McCutcheon, Pedro Alvaraez, Jose Tabata, and Neil Walker need to continue to improve. Hopefully they can get the pitching to hold up for 162 games. The starting rotation started to tire around the 100 game mark. Thus, the Pirates ended up losing ninety games after being in first place in late July. That is what is called a freefall. The free agent market is weak this off season. Some of the potential players they may look to get are a bit older and are stop gap measures to help fill position needs. I predict an improvement over the 72-90 season that they just had. I think that the fact they were competetive for a good chunk of the season helped the team. Just as the fact that they fell apart the last two months will help them learn what it takes to maintain the same success through the Dog Days and down the stretch. I predict 78-80 wins. It is in 2013 where I expect them to make a move as some of their great young pitchers start to arrive in the bigs.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:59 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,459,905 times
teams need a few stars, and they need more solid veterans behind them.

we don't have anything near a star outside of mccutchen, and hes great but not a game changer.
and we just let go half of our veterans. we don't dropped our SS which we have no one decent to take over, 2 of our catchers..dont even think we have one left, and probably our best starting pitcher.
from a team that sucked.

so no, i dont think we will do much next year.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:39 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,027,473 times
Number 20 here we come. It is a money maker the way it is. I don't think anyone in ownership has interest in having a competitive team here. It has been much too long and they are now the worst sports team in the US ever. That includes football, basketball and hockey. Lets just get number 20 out of the way and see if we can go for 25. My suggestion is become a Yankee's fan, so you have a team that is in the hunt pretty often. It would be a lot more fun.

Last edited by gg; 11-03-2011 at 06:16 AM..

Old 11-03-2011, 06:00 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,907,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Number 20 here we come. It is a money maker the way it is. I don't think anyone has interest in having a competitive team here. It has been much too long and they are now the worst sports team in the US ever. That includes football, basketball and hockey. Lets just get number 20 out of the way and see if we can go for 25. My suggestion is become a Yankee's fan, so you have a team that is in the hunt pretty often. It would be a lot more fun.
I dont how you can make that statement did you not see the sellout crowds at PNC before the wheels fell off?????

Fans are fustrated as hell if anything

If anything its Owership and Management whos not interested in winning theyve proven that over and over again...Its like Nuttings give a big F U to the fans as long as hes making profits...because if he did care he would admit he doesnt have the resources needed to make the Bucs a contender and just sell already.....

Old 11-03-2011, 06:17 AM
gg

There I fixed my post. Also many of the sellouts were because other teams have traveling fans and many times the stadium was filled with the guests, which is nice for the city, but not so great for the Pirates.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:20 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,907,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
There I fixed my post. Also many of the sellouts were because other teams have traveling fans and many times the stadium was filled with the guests, which is nice for the city, but not so great for the Pirates.
That may have been true at the beginning, but nearest to the peak right before the break and the wheels came off Pirate fans started to far out number vistors i think only Phily and Boston fans out numbered Pirate fans at PNC

Old 11-03-2011, 06:28 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
That may have been true at the beginning, but nearest to the peak right before the break and the wheels came off Pirate fans started to far out number vistors i think only Phily and Boston fans out numbered Pirate fans at PNC
To even be talking about a visiting team's fans outnumbering a home team says it all. We have the worst sports team in the country known as the Pittsburgh Pirates. The worst in all sports with no equal. Next year it will be an even 20 losing seasons. That is hard to do. Most of the big name players will leave. I know if I was a really good player I would be asking to be traded daily. Why waste a career with such a team that hasn't broken .500 in 19 years? When I was a kid the Pirates were great. Look up the stats of that team in the '70s. Now they are an embarrassment to our city.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:40 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,715,225 times
How sad and also infuriating that this once proud franchise, in existence since 1887, and winner of five World Series, has been reduced to a local and national joke by an inept, cheap, and greedy owner.
Mein Gott, the team of Wagner, Traynor, Clemente, Stargell, etc., is set to have it's 20th losing season in 2012 !
Until Nutting sells the team, which ain't happening anytime soon, the Pirates will continue to be a laughingstock in major league baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh