Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 06:51 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL there's some truth to this. I got married when I lived in southern California, and instead of honeymooning in Hawaii we chose New England in late fall. We'd been to Hawaii a bunch of times (it's not far when you live in L.A.) but the northeast to us was exotic.
I also find that people I know who have moved south and then moved back seem to tolerate the cold a little better as they realize that the grass really isn't greener in the lower half of the country...its sun scorched brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 11:40 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Frigid winters or unbearable summers its always going to be something. I personally prefer the winter over the summer. The opportunity to wear jackets and sweatshirts. The two best holidays in terms of getting together with family and cooking. The crisp air. Playing in the snow with your kids. Much better than being out in 85-95 degree weather and sweating. I think you can just as easily say that most people actually like the winter as much as the summer by your criteria because how often do you see people out enjoying the weather for any extended period of time in either season?
It's not so much the temperatures in western Pennsylvania that get to me. It's the seemingly endless day after day after day after day after day....break for a day and a half, then day after day after day after day....break for twelve hours....then returning to day after day after day after day of light precipitation, whether it be in the form of rain or snow. Usually it's rain though.

Pittsburgh gets less precipitation than many places in the country in terms of actual amounts. However, these numbers are an illusion because in Pittsburgh, an inch of rain can be spread out over the course of three days in the form of very light rain. It gets very old after a while.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:58 AM

268 posts, read 374,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
It's not so much the temperatures in western Pennsylvania that get to me. It's the seemingly endless day after day after day after day after day....break for a day and a half, then day after day after day after day....break for twelve hours....then returning to day after day after day after day of light precipitation, whether it be in the form of rain or snow. Usually it's rain though.

Pittsburgh gets less precipitation than many places in the country in terms of actual amounts. However, these numbers are an illusion because in Pittsburgh, an inch of rain can be spread out over the course of three days in the form of very light rain. It gets very old after a while.
I definitely agree. You'll have a sunny day say on a Sat and then Sunday is entirely overcast with no precip. Then Mon is overcast with almost no precip until late afternoon. Then Tuesday is an on and off sprinkle (with overcast of course). And then Wednesday is a steady freezing rain. By the grace of God on Thurs morning, the clouds begin to clear (and return at noon to cloud over again). By the afternoon they clear again just in time for sunset! Yesterday the 7-day forecast had 7 days of partly sunny and mostly sunny days. I couldn't believe it. I looked again today and realized I was hallucinating . Sometimes overcast can be uninspiring to do anything outside regardless of temp.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:23 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Spoken by someone who doesn't have a clue.

How is living in the North and coping with the winter any different than dealing with southern summers in the South? My wife grew up in Florida and hates it. Her family revels in the opportunity to come up here and actually be outside in the summer and be somewhat comfortable. You can take a walk in Pittsburgh in July and August without any serious health consequences. You can't do that in many southern cities without getting heat stroke.

Honestly its not as if you can't go outside and do anything. Just have to put on a jacket and maybe a hat.

Frigid winters or unbearable summers its always going to be something. I personally prefer the winter over the summer. The opportunity to wear jackets and sweatshirts. The two best holidays in terms of getting together with family and cooking. The crisp air. Playing in the snow with your kids. Much better than being out in 85-95 degree weather and sweating. I think you can just as easily say that most people actually like the winter as much as the summer by your criteria because how often do you see people out enjoying the weather for any extended period of time in either season?
Really? I don't have a clue that I don't like the Winter? That doesn't even make any sense.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:28 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I don't have a clue because I don't like weather and have unrealistic expectations of seasonal change in other climates.
FIFY

Old 12-09-2011, 06:45 PM

443 posts, read 600,752 times
I like seasons. They're good for the soul.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:02 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
I like seasons. They're good for the soul.
I don't mind November, December, and March. It is January and February that I can't stand. I wish that I could hibernate through those 2 months

Old 12-09-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike02 View Post
Yesterday the 7-day forecast had 7 days of partly sunny and mostly sunny days. I couldn't believe it. I looked again today and realized I was hallucinating .
Several times this summer, I noticed the same thing. Those forecasts always changed back to ****ty weather though. I don't think we had a single 7 day stretch of dry weather in western Pennsylvania all ****ing year in 2011.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
I don't mind November, December, and March. It is January and February that I can't stand. I wish that I could hibernate through those 2 months
March is my favorite month in Pennsylvania. Even if the weather's crappy, you know it's gonna break soon.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:42 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,645 times
Yes, I remember hearing somewhere before: March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb.
Weirdly in Pittsburgh there have been several years where there is a thick blanket of snow on Easter and it is warm and sunny on Christmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh