Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 10:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
I think what happens is that when people talk bout an issue, it develops and grows into more of a conversation and then we get passionate about it, I would not use the word HATE, I do not think that Carl is being hateful, I do however think he is trying to get his point across, and rightfully so..
His delivery isn't doing his point justice. He's just pushing people away and furthering the divide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Actually it starts with white people like you who are oblivious to history. White men are now the victim?

This sounds similar to Haley Barbours sugar coating of the Mississippi Citizens Councils of the 60's. He tried to imply that they were not racist or bigoted, just concerned citizens. He failed to mention the murders and intimidation that these people took part in or turned a blind eye to.
A threat to their way of life and family values, huh? Geeze. Nothing like making "family" a bad word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
These are racists and bigots. I said Panera is wrong for their discrimination and they came in slamming the white man.
You're young. Hopefully your views will evolve as you mature. Mine sure did.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
Well isn't it like a widely alleged they really don't like to hire minorities for "model" positions... granted I suppose it makes more sense for models to model clothing than models to model bread.... also when I was at the mall the models weren't even wearing shirts... you would think they would want the models to actually wear clothes they are trying to sell
That's to their own detriment. The AA market has serious buying power.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:58 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're young. Hopefully your views will evolve as you mature. Mine sure did.
Ugh... wha.... huh? I took quotes of people taking a steaming pile on a particular race, I don't think I'll become more accepting of bigotry in my twilight years.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Victimization boils down to money. The civil rights movement of the 40's - 70's was not really about acceptance. It was about economics. Black men returning from World War II did not want to sit and sing along side white men. They wanted equal opportunity to access employment. This would allow them to purchase homes and automobiles and send their children to college. The whole Martin Luther King thing was great but does not tell the entire story of civil rights. Most grandfathers I know never wanted to co mingle with whites, they wanted to provide for their familes and move about the nation without the threat of lynching.
...but isn't a good thing that in 2011 we all co-mingle, generally speaking?

Old 12-09-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
That wasn't wpipkins point. In context, he was explaining how the victimization of blacks in the 40s-70s was much worse than reverse descrimination of today. Seriously, people were being killed back then. There is a big difference between the two things on many levels. That doesn't mean reverse descrimination should be tollerated. Wpipkins isn't saying that. IMO it shouldn't even be compared to discrimination and racism against blacks. The two are separate issues at separate points in history with separate motives and separate outcomes. They're not connected. And people who scream about reverse descrimination in discussions about racism towards blacks aren't helping matters at all.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:48 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
People don't apply for jobs only where they live. That's silly. And if a black guy works at the Mt. Lebanon Panera and gets denied a cashier position because of his gender and color, then that's discrimination.
Why would it be "discrimination"? Because you say so? What if the guy wasn't able to handle that job well? Maybe his math skills are lacking? Maybe he doesn't have a friendly personality and should be more in the back of the house? Is that so hard to believe? Is it ONLY because he happens to be black some law was broken? What if he was white and didn't have the math skills or people skills for the checkout spot? Oh all would be fine then, he was white so he must not be a good fit for that job.

This kind of stuff is really sad, IMHO. Some just love to point the finger any chance they get and use it as some excuse. To be quite honest, the Target in East Liberty is CLEARLY discriminatory against white people. I mean, there is NO WAY there can be that kind of racial hiring without race being part of the process. Does anyone dare say such a thing? Of course not. I mean, who are the whites anyway? How dare they think such a thing. The must be members of the KKK. What a joke!

This topic is so played. When will it end? A black president must not be enough to show we are doing well in the US with race. Just some like to use it as some hold back excuse. I don't believe it. TONS of VERY successful blacks all over the place. No excuses IMHO. Just people saying things like that to try and make them feel better about themselves or some such thing. I am moving on from these topics. I don't believe in them.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
This kind of stuff is really sad, IMHO. Some just love to point the finger any chance they get and use it as some excuse. To be quite honest, the Target in East Liberty is CLEARLY discriminatory against white people. I mean, there is NO WAY there can be that kind of racial hiring without race being part of the process. Does anyone dare say such a thing? Of course not. I mean, who are the whites anyway? How dare they think such a thing. The must be members of the KKK. What a joke!
It does happen. My son asked for an application at the Burger King in Manchester while he was attending CCAC. The manager outright refused to give him an application and said, "You don't want to work here." The manager happened to be white. And honestly, I think the manager was discriminating against his black employees when he said that, not my son. He was assuming that my son wouldn't want to work with black people! Either that or he believed that the black workers would treat my son badly. Either way, he was making assumptions about his workers when he refused to allow my son to apply.

Last edited by Hopes; 12-09-2011 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: edited the wrong post, tried to correct my error

Old 12-09-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Curtis, you shop at Waterworks. You can't deny that most of the AA workers provide far superior customer service than most of their white counterparts there. That's been my experience at Waterworks at least. I have a hard time believing that all workers relegated to the back room are there for merely for having substandard skills, especially if only white workers are in the front. That's the tell tale sign---the separation between the back and the front---because qualified black do exist for the front line positions!

It does happen. My son asked for an application at the Burger King in Manchester while he was attending CCAC. The manager outright refused to give him an application and said, "You don't want to work here." The manager happened to be white. And honestly, I think the manager was discriminating against his black employees when he said that, not my son. He was assuming that my son wouldn't want to work with black people! Either that or he believed that the black workers would treat my son badly. Either way, he was making assumptions about his workers when he refused to allow my son to apply.
Or, instead of making more than likely incorrect assumptions about why the manager said what he said, it would help if we really knew why the manager told your son what he did. Your take on that scenario is so hyper-sensitive and twisted that SOMEHOW the white manager was racist. Seriously? My goodness.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Why would it be "discrimination"? Because you say so? What if the guy wasn't able to handle that job well? Maybe his math skills are lacking? Maybe he doesn't have a friendly personality and should be more in the back of the house? Is that so hard to believe? Is it ONLY because he happens to be black some law was broken? What if he was white and didn't have the math skills or people skills for the checkout spot? Oh all would be fine then, he was white so he must not be a good fit for that job.

This topic is so played. When will it end? A black president must not be enough to show we are doing well in the US with race. Just some like to use it as some hold back excuse. I don't believe it. TONS of VERY successful blacks all over the place. No excuses IMHO. Just people saying things like that to try and make them feel better about themselves or some such thing. I am moving on from these topics. I don't believe in them.
Great post, dead on.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:06 PM

747 posts, read 1,232,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Do we? We coexist but we do not co mingle. This thread is an exellent example of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh