Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:29 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times

Advertisements

I just thought of a few more:

A yinzer is :

Someone who doesn't like the thought of having beautiful women cheering on the Steelers on the sidelines (cheerleaders)

Someone who will quickly tell you "I'm from Pittsburgh", but when asked what part of the city they live in, will tell you "oh, I would never live in the city"

darn, there was one more......hmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 09:32 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I just thought of a few more:

A yinzer is :

Someone who doesn't like the thought of having beautiful women cheering on the Steelers on the sidelines (cheerleaders)
So, for you, Scott, the word "yinzer" means someone from Pittsburgh that disagrees with you on just about anything, no matter how trivial?

Old 12-09-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
Not to get too far off subject, but I find that you could teach an entire college psychology/sociology class on the basis of this one response. From reading this post, one can infer that people have the tendency to take issues about which they have loads of pent-up aggression, and apply them like a glove to any number of pejorative stereotypes, in this case the "yinzer." I don't think there's another person on the planet for whom the word "yinzer" conjures up images of someone timidly driving through a rainstorm, but isn't it interesting how for Scott that somehow applies.

What I take from this is that, if you are a negative person, any class-identifying stereotype can/will be used to pin frustrations on. On the inverse, if you're an optimist, class-identifying stereotypes tend to conjure nostalgic thoughts of things you love about different types of people.
I follow the Post Gazette traffic reporter on Twitter, and even he made a statement the other day regarding how Pittsburghers can't drive in the rain.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:33 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
So, for you, Scott, the word "yinzer" means someone from Pittsburgh that disagrees with you on just about anything, no matter how trivial?
I guess dogs are yinzers, too.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
This is the only city in the US where men would complain about the thought of having cheerleaders. But bring on the 200 pound women wearing Steeler hard hats waiving their dish rags!

Old 12-09-2011, 09:34 AM

659 posts, read 1,145,888 times
i do believe that anyone could be one then, lets not stereotype it with the white man who drinks beer and doesnt go out in the rain however, cause I know alot of progressives who do that and are also boorish and uneducated...lets knock it off with the stereotypes here please, its offensive, I know alot of people who live in places like polish hill etc who fit that bill but they are also people, who have feelings and lives, imagine someone reading that, how they would feel, maybe that person is not well, wanting to end their life, how do you feel now? PLEASE people, have some compassion and stop saying you want to get rid a segment of the population because they do not think or feel the way you do, I mean ...didn't we learn from that already in history? Or maybe NOT.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:35 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,024 times
Scott could write the Yinzer version of Jeff foxworthy's "You Might Be a Redneck If" series!

Old 12-09-2011, 09:38 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Scott could write the Yinzer version of Jeff foxworthy's "You Might Be a Redneck If" series!
Except Foxworthy was "laughing with", not "sneering at".

Old 12-09-2011, 09:42 AM

264 posts, read 492,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I blurted this out at the husband of the woman who totaled my vehicle on 09/29 as he got in my face harassing me, and he was quite offended to be called that, which is why I also assumed "yinzer" had a negative connotation.
I'm surprised he didn't then call you a ***, and wonder why you were so offended. You're really just too dense to get it. Virtually no one I've ever come across uses that term in every day conversation, and when someone who's only been here a year starts using it as a condescending catch-all term, it just makes you look as stupid and ignorant as the people you're trying to debase.

I'm sure in a few years you'll be on another sub-forum, complaining about the people in Pittsburgh mistreating you like the ones in NEPA and NoVa did...when it's quite clear you bring most of the problems upon yourself by propagating such inane topics as this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:42 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
This is the only city in the US where men would complain about the thought of having cheerleaders. But bring on the 200 pound women wearing Steeler hard hats waiving their dish rags!
The Bears, Browns, Giants, Lions, and Packers all do not have cheerleaders, and I believe most fans of those teams would be unhappy if cheerleaders were added.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh