Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:15 PM

472 posts, read 626,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
SCR, since you've said several times that you want to run for city council, perhaps the most important definition you need to know is: Yinzers are voters.

WAIT!! is this true??? You want to run for City Council???? Let's hear a little about your platform and changes you will make!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 02:19 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,205,534 times
Yinzers are....

...easily drawn into pointless, protracted discussions about what Yinzers are.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:22 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Yinzers are....

Cool, that makes me a yinzer. So free beer for me, right?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:25 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,633,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Yinzers are....

That narrows it down to....

all of us...

Old 12-09-2011, 02:45 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Cool, that makes me a yinzer. So free beer for me, right?
I want some free beer! I turned 21 yesterday.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:13 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,691,247 times
For what it's worth, I work with a couple of PhD scientists that grew up in places like Swissvale who say yinz, 'nat, and dahn 'ner. I really don't think it's a function of wealth, or education, or anything else of the sort.

New Yorkers say "cwafee", Texans say "ya'll", Canadians say "a boat", and Pittsburghers say "lemme ride ya dahn tahn." I think that's just about all there is to it, and I really have a hard time understanding why some people have such a difficult time accepting that.

And that being said, if there does come a day when you can no longer have a conversation with a complete stranger in some random part of the world and not immediately be able to tell that he's from Pittsburgh, I'll be disappointed.

Last edited by ML North; 12-09-2011 at 03:23 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 03:20 PM

659 posts, read 1,146,409 times
Thank you ML...a voice of reason! Thanks!

Old 12-09-2011, 03:24 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
For what it's worth, I work with a couple of PhD scientists that grew up in places like Swissvale who say yinz, 'nat, and dahn 'ner. I really don't think it's a function of wealth, or education, or anything else of the sort.

New Yorkers say "cwafee", Texans say "ya'll", Canadians say "a boat", and Pittsburghers say "lemme ride ya dahn tahn." I think that's just about all there is to it, and I really have a hard time understanding why some people have such a difficult time accepting that.

And that being said, if there does come a day when you can no longer have a conversation with a complete stranger in some random part of the world and not immediately be able to tell that he's from Pittsburgh, I'll be disappointed.
Well said. This deserves a rep boost.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:27 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,691,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I've done seems to imply that a "yinzer" is a socially regressive type of person who resists progress, holds the area back, is loud and boorish in public, has an obssession with the Steelers, is a chain-smoker, loves free beer, etc.
That's a "jagoff."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I blurted this out at the husband of the woman who totaled my vehicle on 09/29 as he got in my face harassing me, and he was quite offended to be called that, which is why I also assumed "yinzer" had a negative connotation.
Well, when arguing with someone, you can typically yell "You ______ !" and it will most likely be taken as an insult. Probably even if the person you're insulting has never even heard the word.

EDIT: And if you really want to insult someone, do it right. "Prick", "****in' prick", "stupid ****in' prick" -- all options. "Yinzer" not so much.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:28 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
I also think some people have an irrational amount of shame when it comes to the Pittsburgh dialect (the South does this right--they are very proud of their "y'alls" these days).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh